by: Mary Rose Espanillo
Are you alarmed with the veins that appeared in your legs? You may have the same expression like my friend. She’s very caring of her body but her work is very tiring since it involves long hours of standing. After hearing her crying out loud for seeing just a vein in her left leg, I felt that I need to help her. So, I did a quick research on how to prevent varicose veins.
Let’s start by identifying what really is a varicose vein. Those veins popping up in your skin that you hated are called superficial varicose veins. It is the vein that is closer to your skin surface. It is the enlarged, extended almost to the feet and tortuous or can describe it as “ropy”.
Two important things we have to know are the cause and the prevention. You will see below the factors that predispose a woman to varicose vein:
• Low in Physical Activities (Medical term: Sedentary lifestyle)
• Occupations Issue
• Others (e.g. high-heeled shoes, menstrual cycle, heat and more)
Let me focus on my friend’s problem which is occupation. According to her, the varicose vein in her left leg appeared due to her work as a retail assistant that involves standing for almost 15 hours straight. Considering that she is not wearing high heeled shoes at work.
I intend to look for a prevention that my friend can do consistently which she can do as her maintenance. I enumerated below are the measures that will slow down the progression of the varicose veins:
• Periodic leg elevation. Research says that when you elevate your legs a little bit higher from your heart can improve venous circulation. According to http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com, venous circulation is the movement of blood from the venules, which drain deoxygenated blood from the capillaries, through the veins to the vena cava, and from there through the right atrium and ventricle to the pulmonary circulation of the lungs, where the blood is oxygenated for return to the systemic circulation.
• Avoidance of prolonged standing and sitting. If at work you are sitting the whole day better stretch your legs often or try to walk in a short time. If you are standing the whole day it is good to always change weight to 1 foot to another and also try to walk.
• Wearing elastic support hose. Also called as compression stockings, these are stockings that bring comfort to your legs and relieve you from symptoms of varicose veins like swelling and pain.
• Regular exercise and proper diet. Try eating berries as often as possible. These fruits are not just delicious and easy to eat but they are also packed with vitamins and minerals with fewer calories.
• Frequent massaging. A simple massage can relax your legs and helps the blood running through your veins flow properly.
I want to emphasize the favorite of my friend among all prevention said above which is foot and leg massage. I am sure you’ll like this too, pampering yourselves after a long week of work is very comforting.
The massage style that is applicable for varicose vein cases is called Lymphatic drainage & Circulatory massage. Both of these stokes are considered as a light stroke only, but it does helps on increasing your general blood circulation and on improving the tissue nutrition.
Lymphatic massage also means self-massage while circulatory includes motions of hand sweeping on the legs. So if you just want to stay at home and relax maybe you want to do the circulatory massage in your legs.
Considering that you are lazy massaging yourself, I know how you feel even I felt that way. Well, I have good news for you! If budget is not a problem, there is now a new technology created by Osim called Uphoria feet massager. It’s the world’s first Tui-Na Leg Massager that provides Calf-Gliding massage system that relieves aches and improves circulation to the legs.
Just a reminder, massage is helpful for the circulation but it will be harmful if it is wrongly done. Try to know how the varicose vein will not be pressed while your legs are on the machine. The safer way is setting the level on a low and gentle pressure so if ever it will pressed directly to the varicose vein it will not harm it.
All these information I shared to you are like a summary of the basic things we ladies should know about the cause and the prevention of varicose vein. Seeking your doctor will still be the best way to know your exact condition and also to know how to cure it.
References: medicinenet.com; veindirectory.org; massagetoday.com; osim.com; lymphnotes.com, hearthealthywomen.org
The canadian premiere of yoko ono's 'my ...
What’s your Health Score?