Battle of the Shower Oils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle of the Shower Oils

Decide to take this out of the L'Occitane thread.

I've just discovered this treasure. For those who are like me before I discover shower oils, hear, hear :shout:

I've tried three so far, and intend to acquire more. Body Shop doesn't make shower oils unfortunately. And I reckon not many companies make them. However, for dry babies like me, they are a god-send.

L'occitane
    My first shower oil This is really thick and nice. Although many care for the scent, it's only passable to me. I much prefer the scent of the other shower oils. Upon contact with my gloves (I use shower gloves), I can already feel the heat of the oil. And because it is thick, it foams up beautifully, though not too much, even with a little amount. And I could lather it up my whole body. I just love the consistency, so much so that I decided to get other shower oils to try.

After-shower effect: Love how smooth and soft my skin is!

Eucerin
    I've always noticed the existence of this brand, but I have no idea if it works. Anyway, after a fellow cotter brought my attention to this brand, I had to snag the shower oil. Mine comes with the pump bottle which is really convenient. I much prefer the fragrance of this to the L'occitane. It's like a much lighter version of my favourite scent, Chanel No 5. So unlike the almondy smell of the L'occitane, this is floral. However, the oil is not thick at all. In fact, it's very liquidy and I need quite a lot of this to work my whole body. Still, it foams up really well. And it takes very little water to rinse off the oil.

After shower effect: Since it is so easy to rinse off, I'm not at all surprised to see that the after shower effect is so-so only. It may be very ideal for normal skin. I would go to say that the moisturizing effect after shower is equal that of quite many moisturizing shower creams out there. However, it's not enough for me. I would probably feel more comfortable using a body lotion after shower if I were to use this.

DermaVeen
    I'm not at all familiar with this line of product. But again, this brand was brought to my attention by a fellow cotter. When I scoured the shelves at Guardian, I could only find the one in the green cap, although I think they have more varieties.

As thick as the L'occitane, but I don't feel any warmth when poured into my hands. Still, this has got to be my favourite fragrant shower oil of the lot. The almond smell is so strong! It's like smelling cooking almond jelly. This doesn't foam up. Which is disappointing since I would really like to see a little foam on my body. And because it's not foaming at all, it is super moisturizing, so much so that I have difficulty rinsing it out of my body. And like how oils are like, I can still see the oils on my body. Made me feel like a greased pan that isn't washed properly after cooking. Still, I decide to be brave and step out of the shower.

After shower effect: I expected the moisturizing effect to be the best among all the shower oils I've tried, and I'm right. 5 minutes after towelling my body, my body felt so smooth and silky. And I like to think that because it's oil, this effect is going to be on my body until the next shower.

----------------

I have bought a few other oils to try, namely Aveeno and Alpha Keri. If I can combine the texture of the L'occitane, the smell and after shower effect of the DermaVeen, I would find my ideal shower oil. Meanwhile, this is my new shower love, and I'm going to be using shower oils from now on. They are really good for all kinds of skin type, truly.

does shower oils clean well? do they leave a sticky/oily residue on your body?

i have got very dry skin too.

i know m&s has bath oil, i think u can use as shower oil too.

Comment

DermaVeen's really oily after rinse. Which is a huge minus point for me. L'ccitane's and Eucerin's do not leave oily films. Think it's so because they're soapy and that removes the oil in them from our bodies.

Comment

oh....sounds good. how much is loccitane shower oil? i have never tried shower oil before..

thinking of trying m&s bath oil first. my skin is so dry until it hurts in an air con room.

Comment

ooh... me tempted to get the Eucerin one after reading this review. i am a newie to shower oil. lazy to put proper body lotion after each bath, guess this is a awesome way out

Comment

May I know how do you all used shower oil? Is it used after showering?

Comment

Originally posted by Dewy
              oh....sounds good. how much is loccitane shower oil? i have never tried shower oil before..

thinking of trying m&s bath oil first. my skin is so dry until it hurts in an air con room.
              Bath oil somehow scares me. They tend to be really oily.

I forgot how much L'occitane's because I bought a couple of other things as well. Should be in the $20s.

Comment

hehe the packaging of eucerin puts me off though. looks very clinical.

how long can loccitane almond oil last if used daily?
                i tend to pump alot of shower foam though...

Comment

I think the L'occitane one can last quite long. Because I only use a little each time.

Comment

L'occitane shower oil is $33 before any price increase.

It lasted me for at least 4 months, though i didn't use it daily, alternate with honey foaming jelly and lavender shower gel and C&E summerhill.

Comment

Originally posted by Dewy
                      hehe the packaging of eucerin puts me off though. looks very clinical.
                      how long can loccitane almond oil last if used daily?
                      i tend to pump alot of shower foam though...
                      hee... u love foam? me love them.

Auntie's theory : no foam = no cleansing power

Comment

Then Vernis, you should get the L'occitane.

So 3 months if used daily? That's not bad. Plus, if don't need to use body lotions, even more worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by vernis
                          hee... u love foam? me love them.

Auntie's theory : no foam = no cleansing power
                          LOL! that's like what my "uncle" bf says too.

I love shower oils but no tub at home,I prefer it in a soak instead.
                          Even after using shower oil,I still think it's necessary to use a body lotion though. But I'm fussy like that hehe

Comment

My first bath oil is Eucerin. IMO, is defintely more moisturised than any shower gel or cream I tried. Bought the QV wash today. Wonder what's the difference between QV oil and QV wash?
                            After reading this thread, kinda of interested in the DermaVeenn now. May I know how big and how much it is? Really likes the 'after shower feel' when using bath oil but too expensive to use it twice a day.
                            Last edited by superBum; 14-11-2005, 10:31 PM.

Comment

I've been using shower oils since May this year. I discovered them while on a trip overseas. I've used shower oils from 2 different brands so far, but they are both not available in SG.

IMO shower oils work pretty much like shower gels, and they lather quite well if you use a sponge (?). I don't know if they are particularly moisturising because I have normal skin to begin with. But I do realise that I can't survive without them in drier climates overseas. They don'tt feel greasy at all to me, despite the word "oil", so I'm wondering if it is true of all shower oils? Or is it that those that I've tried so far are lighter on the "oil" component

Comment

Working...
                              X