Scents: wood, spice, incense, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scents: wood, spice, incense, etc.

Now, I was all ready to buy YSL M7, but trying it on my arm today, it morphed into something a lot sweeter than I would prefer. Weird.

Anyway, Black Cashmere is one intriguing scent! Woody and a bit spicy, but not in the least sweet. I'm searching for something cedary, like the discontinued TBS Japanese Hotsprings body gel, and this might be the closest I'll get in Singapore. I have to try it on myself to be sure, but this could be my next purchase. (Hmm, that sounds familiar...) Curious as to whether paphio and pan have tried it?

Notes:Saffron, Masala Spices, Clove, Nutmeg, Pimento Berries, White Pepper CO2 Extract, Mediterranean Broom Flower, Patchouli Singapour, Crimson Red Marechal Rose, Ethiopian Guggal Incense, Wengue Wood, Bois de Miel.

Yes, apparently Singapore produces 1.5 tonnes of patchouli (a light one) annually. Who knew?
    Last edited by saresha; 09-10-2003, 10:56 PM.

hey Saresha, a bit OoT here, but was wonderin, isn't YSL M7 a male scent? such a brave soul you are, to try a male scent!

what notes does it have?

Comment

Originally posted by islande
      hey Saresha, a bit OoT here, but was wonderin, isn't YSL M7 a male scent? such a brave soul you are, to try a male scent!

what notes does it have?
      I don't think it takes bravery, just a willingness to wear whatever takes your fancy. I do tend to prefer masculine scents; however, my last purchase was Bulgari Omnia.

YSL M7 (of the infamous frontally nude male model):
      Top Notes - Bergamot, Mandarin, Rosemary
      Middle Notes - Vetiver, Agarwood
      Base Notes - Amber, Musk, Mandrake root
      Last edited by saresha; 10-10-2003, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Saresha, your post has stirred some lemmings. The description of Topnotes interest me! I tend to like men's fragrance too. All time favourite is Issey Miyake Men's ( its in a slim and unique translucant bottle) and also CK eternity.

Comment

Ok, tried the DK on myself today. It's kinda pricy: $90 for 50ml edp, and $130 (iirc) for 100ml edp. But with the latter you get a parfum mini.

While it dries down to a pleasantly clean woodiness, the top has a harsh edge that I find hard to like. I don't know what a hamster cage smells like - perhaps real cedar doesn't have the warmth I expect.

I'm bidding on a Feminite du Bois eau de parfum, which actually has cedar wood in it (not other kinds), and I hope it turns out to be what I want.
          Last edited by saresha; 11-10-2003, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Hey Saresha! :wave:
            Gosh, you're an authority on every darn topic!
            I see the magic ingredient Patchouli
            1.5 tonnes of it? No, I didn't know.

I also gravitate towards masculine scents. Don't know a thing about cedar but I do know I love Korres Cedar shower gel. It's the rich and deep woody scent that gets me each time I use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Glossie
              Hey Saresha! :wave:
              Gosh, you're an authority on every darn topic!

Don't know a thing about cedar but I do know I love Korres Cedar shower gel. It's the rich and deep woody scent that gets me each time I use it.
              I am a perfume newbie! But I can see it's going to be an expensive hobby, this. I have enough shower gel to last me a couple of years, but now I really want to try that Korres - thanks!

Comment

Cedar wood

Saresha,

If you're reading this, and if you didn't already know, Gucci Eau de Parfum II has Cedar Wood as one of its notes, amongst Bitter Orange. However, most testers say they'd buy this as a gift to a kid sister as it's a floral and fruity scent.

Comment

Re: Cedar wood

Originally posted by Glossie
                  If you're reading this, and if you didn't already know, Gucci Eau de Parfum II has Cedar Wood as one of its notes, amongst Bitter Orange. However, most testers say they'd buy this as a gift to a kid sister as it's a floral and fruity scent.
                  I've tried this (didn't know it has cedar), and yeah, it's too fruity for me. So have you smelled Black Cashmere yet?

Comment

Re: Re: Cedar wood

Originally posted by saresha
                    I've tried this (didn't know it has cedar), and yeah, it's too fruity for me. So have you smelled Black Cashmere yet?
                    No, I have not, but I was ready to jump onto this cart. The raves on MUA were long heard. And I do like the look of the black "rock".

Comment

Love or Hate?

Just have to share this.

I tested Black Cashmere (BC) for the second time yesterday at Tangs. I do see myself wearing this on a cold rainy day where I want to snuggle up with my comforter, hot drink and a good book. I practically couldn't stop sniffing at my wrist yesterday and what's more, it was pouring last night in town. As I sniff away, I was smiling.

I do not understand the part about hamster cage. I've had hamsters before but BC doesn't smell anything remotely like that. My male friend couldn't take the initial smokey and spiciness. That said, I feel that men in our culture always feel that perfume should be 'fruity sweet' or 'floral'. That's the idea how perfumes should smell to them.

Next comes the drydown, warm sandalwood, spicy cardamon and sweet vanilla becomes apparent. My friend caught whiffs of it and said,"NICE!" See...I always say men like vanilla but just that they don't realise that.

For those who wants to make a statement, this is one that I will include in my list of L'Artisan Dzing, Bvlgari Black, Alexander McQueen Kingdom etc etc

Comment

This should probably go under the Upcoming Scents thread but it's a male scent I'm going to talk about now. I know we have a few Cotters who gravitate towards male and hence woody/spicy/smokey scents. (Rac, I got your attention?)

Lanvin Vetyver
                        Read about it since late Nov. The descriptions differ from mag to mag. Top notes should include Lemon, Bergamot, Juniper, Bitter Orange. Middle and Base notes: White Jasmine, Allspice (what's this?), Vetiverol (what's this???), Cedar, Sandalwood and Musk. Sweet Lime was mentioned in another mag.

Reporter
                        Green lemon, kumquat, nutmeg, blond amber and tonka beans. Interesting combi, eh?!

Comment

Allspice (what's this?), Vetiverol (what's this???),
                          Vetiverol is derived from vetiver, some alcohol if I remember correctly.

For allspice, I'm not even sure what it was, guessing it to be a combination of pepper, cinnamon, cloves etc etc *lol*

Here's what I googled

Allspice

Comment

It was either Bulgari Black or Hermes 24, Faubourg for me at the fragrance sale, and I picked the latter. Wonder if I should be regretting it now. Faubourg is a tr?s expensive smelling floral, not really "me", perhaps. Smoky, woody Black is really nice. I was offered a travel spray of this when I bought Omnia, but picked Blu instead, which is

I think I will definitely get the Etro Sandalo that is 20% off right now. I haven't managed to find anyone with a Taka card, unfortunately, which would give me an additional 10% off.

In other news: I read that L'artisan L'Eau du Navigateur is being discontinued in the US and e-mailed Jean immediately. Answer:
                            "Good news is L'Eau du Navigateur is not discontinued. They have
                            discontinued L'Eau du Corporal however."

Comment

Rac, you really ARE the authority on perfumes! Thanks for the google link!

Sarsh, do tell us about the Etro fragrance. I'm really curious about it. I reckon if there's something I can buy from Etro, it's fragrance only

Comment

Working...
                              X