Scent Self Discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scent Self Discovery

A lot of us have been trying new scents, be it in lotions or tarts or oils. Have you finally managed to discover what scents you truly like?

I always thought I liked foody scents, which is still quite true. I find them comforting and attractive. I usually judge a scent by how much it makes me want to take a bite out of it!

So far, what I like are creamy buttery scents and baking scents.

I also like fruity scents, but not the sharp ones. I like the soothing ones and the ones I like.

But most importantly, I realised i'm super duper picky! A lot of scents I thought I would like turned out to be not that nice.

So I'm still trying to discover what scents I really like. have you discovered yours?

I know what my body chemistry can't take and I am especially cautious with foodie scents. They simply make me nauseous and there are only a few I can take as most smell like burnt plastic on me.

I realised that there will be one group who prefers non-florals (woods/incense/resins/gourmed/vanillas etc.), one group who likes florals, and one group of people who swing wildly, from citruses to sweet scents to greens to florals to woods.

I think I belong to the last group

Comment

My past scents are always citrus or floral. When I was still studying, I prefer very sharp "wakeup call" type of scents. So most of my scents are those strong lemony fragrance.

Now, I still prefer citrus scent but with an added floral to make it more feminine.

Comment

i learnt v early on that extremely foody (bakery) type scents give me a headache.

my preference leans towards the fresh (citrus) , floral, marine, clean family.

but even with florals, there are certain notes that totally do not agree with me (jasmine, tuberose, rose are the main culprits)

Comment

I started off with citrus and chypre scents, because they seemed the least "perfumey". I still like them, but I've also found that floral and oriental scents can be wonderful too! Pretty much anything goes now, but I find gourmand scents hardest to wear, especially those that are vanilla-dominated. Fruity ones are tricky too, because they often smell syrupy and sticky. This applies to room fragrances too; I don't want my bedroom to smell like the kitchen!

Comment

I used to be crazy over foody scents. I still do, to a much lesser extent now though.

I am one of those swingers that Rachel mentioned. I'm very unpredictable when it comes to fragrances. But I avoid greens, peppers, and scents that are too smokey 'bold'.

As for home fragrances, I can take almost everything, but only if they come in small doses. I prefer subtle scents for my house.

Comment

It was foody scent brought me to this scented world...that's LM's Creme Brulee which I still love. I think I'm also a swinger. I love every scent: foody (not overly sweet which can give me headache), floral (current LOVE, esp. Tuberose), and fruity.

Recently I found, although I like foody, I don't like chocolate scented body lotion. Just weird my whole body smell cocoa. And I love floral candle/tart more than floral body lotion/butter. :roll: Oh and I hate cinnamon....and those very spicy scent. Love woody scent like Amber

Comment

I get really sensitive towards powdery scents.. So have to stay clear of Terry Mugler. And just too bad that my colleague wears it everyday!!!
                I'm a sucker for flowery and fruity scent (Kenzo & Escada). Can't get enough of them!

Comment

Originally posted by artichoke
                  I get really sensitive towards powdery scents.. So have to stay clear of Terry Mugler. And just too bad that my colleague wears it everyday!!!
                  Do you mean Angel? Because his Cologne is light and fresh, not at all powdery. I've never thought of Angel as powdery, but then one sniff is usually enough to send me running, so I've never been able to analyse this one!

It's strange that you should mention Kenzo, because his Flower (both the original and the new Le Parfum version in the red bottles) are both sweet (vanilla), powdery florals. The red one is receiving huge raves on MUA, and is for some reason really expensive in the States. I've been testing it at Sasa, but it's nothing spectacular. My favourite sweet powdery floral is Lorenzo Villoresi's Teint de Neige. Rich and creamy, and a complete departure from what I usually like!

I quite like Kenzo's Kenzoki series, but with the exception of Rice Steam, they don't last very long. I wish I could find a longlasting version of the Bamboo scent. His Parfum d'Ete is really, really green and lovely, and L'eau par Kenzo is a clean, delicate floral. I needed a cheap thrill today, so bought the Glam'light versions of both today (minis with microglitter). The bottles are simple atomisers, unlike the gorgeous originals, but they're only $8 each

Comment

I checked out Brit and found out that I really like Vanilla scents! They smell so sweet and girly.. this made me check out aquolina pink sugar which smells sweet sweet.

I used to be afraid of sweet scents but now I think I am more into the world of sweet scents and I appreciate it more now.
                    It's also thanks to CC which I have found etailers like suds & light and simplyscents!

Right now I am afraid of lemony scents. Very sharp and gives me a headache!

Comment

I'm a sucker for flowery and fruity scent (Kenzo & Escada). Can't get enough of them!
                      artichoke, my guess could be the the patchouli. I choke at Angel as well. The combination of vanilla, patchouli and sandalwood is too much for me to handle.

IMHO, patchouli is not an easy scent to like. It is a very pungent earthy and sometimes almost musty.

Also, is it possible that you dislike musky scent since powdery and musky are often confused.

artichoke, do you like

1. Christian Dior's Dune?
                      2. J Lo Glow?
                      3. Bulgari Petits et Mamans?
                      4. Lancome Tresor?
                      5. Giorgio Armani Sensi?
                      6. Calvin Klein One?

Can only think of these mass-market fragrances off-hand but hopefully, you've smelled them before.

Comment

Originally posted by raebelasian
                        IMHO, patchouli is not an easy scent to like. It is a very pungent earthy and sometimes almost musty.

I totally agree with this. To me I think its too earthy and the smell strikes off as something very pungent. I steer clear of anything patchouli! :puke:

Comment

saresha, i didn't make myself clear just now. Am only into L'eau par Kenzo. Don't really like the rest of them.
                          raebelasian, thanks for the recommendations. Have got Glow and CK One but prefer the latter.

Comment

raebelasian, thanks for the recommendations. Have got Glow and CK One but prefer the latter.
                            Oh, I was hoping that you provide some feedback whether or not you like the scents that I mentioned so that we can pinpoint something what kind of scents you like

Comment

saresha, i didn't make myself clear just now. Am only into L'eau par Kenzo.
                              Yes, I realised today that it's very nice! I thought I smelt jasmine but it's not in the notes: Frosty Water Mint, Water Lily, Paradise Seeds, Blue Cedar, Infusion of Vanilla Pods. (I searched for Paradise Seeds - it means marijuana seeds?!)

Comment

Working...
                              X