Wash Long Hair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wash Long Hair

for nearly 20 years, i had short hair, so there is no problem such as tangling even if i massages the scalp back and forth or in any i want but now my near shoulder length hair gets tangled when the scalp is massaged the same way & if i try to untangle, hair falls out

i need help from cotters on how you wash your long hair without tangling, thanks a million

i usually brush my hair to remove the tangles before washing.
    Since i have fine hair, i use those wide-toothed combs as well..

Comment

I think wet your hair and gently shampoo onto the tip of your hair (not on the scalp). Too much force may caused hair to tangled. Perhaps using the right shampoo may helps too!

Comment

mcdull, just wash your hair as per normal. But instead of trying to dis-entangle your hair by forcing them apart, just gently squeeze out the water in the hair after you finish rinsing off the shampoo and massage conditioner into your hair. The conditioner should help to dis-entangle them without you using any force. HTHs

Comment

Tips from Hairstylist

I learn this from my hairstylist, Raymond, in Hair Profile. That time, I had ceramic perming for my hair. I can't comb at all, tangling is a big problem for me. Raymond asked not to worry and follow his "Hair-washing skills".

1. It is better to comb ur hair with big brush for the bottom hair 1st. Then, from root to bottom gently. If u got permed hair, u can skip this step.

2. Bend ur upper body to front side and let ur hair facing toward the floor. Wet ur hair thoroughly.

3. Pour out some shampoo (small amount 1st). Add some water on that and bubble it. This is to dilute the shampoo because Shampoo is an akali chemical. It maybe too strong for the hair scalp if u apply the shampoo directly on that. In fact, bubbles can clean the dirty (on ur scalp) easily and gently.

P/S: The purpose of shampoo is to clean the hair scalp, not the hair.

4. Once u create the bubbles, apply it on the hair scalp near to the neck area. Then, repeat Step 3 and apply on scalp near both ears areas. Finally, repeat Step 3 and apply the bubbles on the scalp near forehead. It is just like a circle when u do this.

5. Since there are lot of bubbles on the hair scalp and the hair is wet, u can create more bubbles and move the excessive bubbles to the bottom hair. Then, massage the scalp a while, about 1 minute.

P/S: This way can use less shampoo to wash the hair scalp gently.

6. Wash off the bubbles with warm water (~30-40C). Then, towel dry ur hair and apply the conditioner/ hair mask only for the bottom hair.

Remember not to touch on the hair scalp as it is too rich for the scalp.

7. Cover the hair with hot towel or towel for at least 5 mins.

8. Wash off the conditioner / mask with warm water too. Towel dry it, apply leave-on anti-frizz serum (or other serums) only on the bottom hair.

9. Let the hair dry itself if u can. If not, u can blow it to 70% dry and let it dry itself.

P/S: The distance of hair dryer with ur hair should be at least 10 cm. If not, ur hair will be damaged easily.
          Last edited by Shon; 16-12-2003, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Shon: I read that u mentioned ur last rinse to be with warm water as well.

I've also read that doing the last rinse in cold water helps to seal the hair cuticles and keep hair shiny. Any votes on that?

Comment

Originally posted by snow angel
              Shon: I read that u mentioned ur last rinse to be with warm water as well.

I've also read that doing the last rinse in cold water helps to seal the hair cuticles and keep hair shiny. Any votes on that?
              In fact, i am a bit confused of this too.... What I notice is those people in salon wash my hair with warm water all the time. They only asked me:" Will it be too hot for u?"

What I do is warm water then follow by cold water (same purpose as u mentioned) . Warm + cold = something similar to Spa to stimulate the blood circulation in the head better. What do u think?

Comment

Originally posted by Shon
                -snipped-
                What I do is warm water then follow by cold water (same purpose as u mentioned) . Warm + cold = something similar to Spa to stimulate the blood circulation in the head better. What do u think?
                That's an excellent suggestion! Think it's so much better that way too!

Comment

i also have the problem of hair tangling when i shampoo. and then hair dropping.
                  i use too rich shampoo, my hair will drop due to oily scalp.
                  i use oily scalp shampoo, my hair also will drop after applying conditioner as it is all tangled up by the shampoo..
                  sigh, really at a loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Dewy
                    i also have the problem of hair tangling when i shampoo. and then hair dropping.
                    i use oily scalp shampoo, my hair also will drop after applying conditioner as it is all tangled up by the shampoo..
                    sigh, really at a loss.
                    dewy could be a case of product build up as well
                    i find that like u using too much shampoo and daily shampoo, makes my hair limp
                    u could try a vinegar rinse (1 part 1 part water) or a clarifying shampoo once a week...
                    think it works on me cos i use leave in conditioner as well
                    so getting rid of the product buildup leaves scalp to be cleaner

snowangel -> i use cold water for a last rinse
                    yes, it helps to seal in cuticles i think

Comment

Originally posted by snow angel
                      That's an excellent suggestion! Think it's so much better that way too!
                      Welcome. Try it and see the difference.

Comment

sigh, really at a loss.
                        Try this.

when applying shampoo, pump the shampoo into the palm of your hands.

then spread it over the entire hand.

then place the hands on the side of the heads and not the crown.

massage slowly to form the lather and then slowly spread to the crown of the head.

Massaging the scalp is actually very good. It helps with blood circulation and with the use of a good anti-hair loss shampoo, you will actually find that your new hair strands becoming stronger.

Treatments and conditioners should not touch the scalp. do it from the ear downwards.

To reduce hair loss, do not comb hair before shampoo. Wet hair. Then apply conditioner to hair. Then after around 1 minute, rinse off. The conditioner will make the hair smoother and hence, no tangles. This prevents the usage of combs to comb through tangled hair and hence reduce chances of tugging at the hair.

I sometimes do a final rinse with cold water. Else I will apply lazartigue's elixir to achieve a shiny effect.

Comment

ok i am a bit confused. so do i apply the shampoo directly to hand and then to head better or to rub between palms & form lather 1st better?
                          if i smear the shampoo over my hand and then slowly massage in, will it be the same as directly applying shampoo to my head?
                          confusing.. :roll:
                          usually i smear shampoo on my hand, then start from the neck, slowly work up to the middle of the head, and then the crown - i find the area there hard to shampoo cause its like so dry..
                          so i divde my head into 3 sections and shampoo.
                          is this the correct way?
                          until now i still dont know the correctly way of shampooing

Comment

ok i am a bit confused. so do i apply the shampoo directly to hand and then to head better or to rub between palms & form lather 1st better?
                            if i smear the shampoo over my hand and then slowly massage in, will it be the same as directly applying shampoo to my head?
                            usually i smear shampoo on my hand, then start from the neck, slowly work up to the middle of the head, and then the crown - i find the area there hard to shampoo cause its like so dry..
                            is this the correct way?
                            i apply shampoo onto my hand, work up a lather and i work it upwards to the crown

my stylist advise me not to pour shampoo directly onto my head cos it will somehow cause product buildup? :huh:

oh well, the temperature of the water is quite important too
                            not too cold not too hot

Comment

is this the correct way?
                              Yes, forming lather 1st is better.

Comment

Working...
                              X