Beware! Resting Head on Salon's chairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware! Resting Head on Salon's chairs

Anyone saw today's or yesterday's papers? One lady from another country suffered from a stroke and was in coma? after she had her hair wash at those salon's washing areas. The chairs which we always rest our heads on are pressing onto the nerves or whatever and lead to poor blood circulation. Actually this was not the 1st time i read such news already. Its just bad that no one was doing anything to the design. I dont think this is the 1st time that the lady had her hair ashed at salon. It just happened that when you aged, blood circulation not good and things happened.

I always hate the idea of resting on the hair while the shampoo girl shampoo and massage my hair when i'm sitting there. its so painful and my shoulder and neck feel uncomortable. I think next time when they asked me to go for a wash, i will request them to do it when i'm sitting down. Only when its rinsing time, will I proceed to the washing area. Sometimes its better to be paraniod huh? :yaya:

But I thought our hair is always shampooed when we're sitting down, only when shampooing is done then we're led to the sink to have it rinsed off, no? This is always the procedure everywhere I go. :huh:

Comment

I always feel uncomfortable sitting down while the girl shampoo my hair. I prefer lying down.

Comment

Originally posted by mango
        But I thought our hair is always shampooed when we're sitting down, only when shampooing is done then we're led to the sink to have it rinsed off, no? This is always the procedure everywhere I go. :huh:
        same for me too

Comment

Well to mango, my experience is that not all salons do that... some do the shampooing while u sit, some dont. And yes I agree that lying down for too long on that hard ceramic sink hurts.

Comment

for Le Salon, your hair's shampooed while you're lying down on the sink.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixash
              my experience is that not all salons do that... some do the shampooing while u sit, some dont.
              My experience too!

Comment

i usually request shampooing to be done at the chair, cos i have a bad back so i will be controlling my posture while being shampooed at the sink

it hurts after a while lying at the sink having a shampoo

Comment

oh dear, i did rebonding at chapter 2 and they applied some treatment on my hair after washing and left me at the sink for about 20 minutes or more! and it was more than one time too, coz rebonding requires several washes.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixash
                    ..some do the shampooing while u sit, some dont. And yes I agree that lying down for too long on that hard ceramic sink hurts.
                    I went to Manhogany and they did it at the sink. Kimage normally do the massage + shampoo at the chair. Next time when I go for haircut, I will request it to be done at the chair. It really hurts to rest on the hard sink and I really hate doing that. Its so uncomfortable.

By the way, that lady did it in a 'relaxing' manner, closing eyes etc perhaps to enjoy the massage..... but she later become unconscious. The shampoo lady called the ambulance to bring her to hospital.

Comment

There is always going to be the one freak accident that people perpetuate and think it's going to happen to everyone else. Look, in most countries, people do their hair at a sink. If it's not comfortable, there's something wrong with the design of the chair and the skill of the shampooer. I'd prefer that than having my hair dripping wet with suds in a regular chair. This method saves labor and space for the hair salon - it's not the norm in other countries, and I certainly don't think it's professional though functional. I haven't been to any salons in Singapore where hairwashing was actually comfortable for me - it seems that most hairdressers have a problem with gauging the right temperature and massage technique.

Coming back to the lady who had a stroke - it's like economy class syndrome while taking a plane. How many people travel on an aeroplane in a day and how many actually have DVTs or blood clots? Many more people have shampoos in a salon a day and nothing happens. That lady would have had to be at high risk of stroke in the first place - I don't believe her medical records would have been released to the public in a newspress - the story isn't worth that much money for the newspaper to have paid for it. In general, she would've had more risk factors than just sitting in the chair, and it doesn't have to be a shampoo chair. Probably had high blood pressure and some problem with blood coagulation and poor circulation, trauma to her blood vessels. Nothing happens by chance.

Please, freak accidents are just that. It's like the one where a husband decapitates the wife with an electric chainsaw after falling down from a ladder where she was gardening below. It doesn't happen often (first I've heard actually and this is pretty big news), and with the appropriate safety precautions, such equipment can still be used without accident. Otherwise lumberjacks would go out of business.

Comment

I'm quite sure I've heard of a few cases already. But mainly with older people with poor circulation, and just the wrong angle and pressure on the neck. It IS poor design if such incidents happen, I spend as little time as possible at the sink in such an awkward position, as I can. Unfortunately, no alternative to lying backwards for a rinse (can't very well lie forwards haha).

Comment

I agree - the design is extremely important. I've never had a good experience in Singapore, so I've kinda given up. I get my hair done and I zip out of the salon as quick as possible. There should not be compression of the circulation at any point. What were they thinking?

As I said, it's like economy class syndrome. There has to be some risk factor - it's probably not enough for the government to warn people about it, or to legislate against using such chairs. Just have to be careful, that's all.

I just found this paper - http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...articlekey=627

This is extremely interesting, because I've never actually been overextended at any of the salons in Australia, and most of their sinks have padded cushions where the neck area is supposed to be. In any case, posture alone is not sufficient to cause strokes. Studies almost always find some other cause which predispose to having a stroke in the first place. The danger lies where people don't know about their risk factors.

Before everyone goes into a state of panic, I must say that it is not necessary to hyperextend - the spine can be neutral because the chair can be adjusted and tilted even when the neck is extended. But that's only for the more expensive salons I've been to.

The most important thing is that you're comfortable. The salons in Singapore probably can't be bothered using the well-designed chairs, which is why many people think it's uncomfortable having a shampoo at a sink and prefer sitting upright in the usual chair.. Just as well though - they shouldn't be using badly designed chairs anyways, and this prevents vessel dissection. Works out well for everyone.
                          Last edited by Aphrael; 11-08-2004, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X