No announcement yet.

Bangs - how we come to call such term!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bangs - how we come to call such term!

I found this to be interesting and so I post it here.

Why do they call hair cut straight across the forehead "bangs"? Does it have anything to do with "bang," the sound a gun makes, or is it from some other source entirely?

"Bangs," the hair style, does indeed come from the same roots as "bang," the sound of a gun, a slamming door, or countless other abrupt noises. The word "bang" first appeared in written English in the 16th century, but is thought to have been known in the dialects of Northern England long before that date. "Bang" comes from an Old Norse word "banga" meaning "to hammer," and is a linguistic relic of the Viking invasions of England beginning in the eighth century. "Bang" at first meant "to strike violently," but gradually the word came to be used for any sudden or violent movement, especially one which caused a loud noise. One of the earliest written examples of this expanded sense of "bang" refers to slamming a door, an apparently universal human action which may yet prove to be as great an instrument of self- expression as the typewriter. Aside from doors, nearly anything could go "bang," from guns to pianos, and "bang" also came to mean fight or beat up.

"Bang" continued to evolve, and by the 19th century was used to convey suddenness or finality, which brings us at last from Old Norse hammers to modern haircuts. "Bangs" are so-called because they are created by cutting the hair "bang- off," abruptly and straight across the forehead. And finally, at the risk of offending our bang-coiffed readers, I must tell you that "bangs" as a young lady's hairstyle almost certainly originated with the practice of cutting horses' tails straight across, a style known to this day as a "bang-tail."

"Bangs" is very American. I grew up calling it a "fringe", and will continue to do so

Comment

Interesting.

Comment

side-swept?

Interesting! We always call it "bangs" here in the U.S. and speaking of bangs, politely butting in :booty: , I've been wanting to have side-swept bangs, but afraid that my stylist will mess it up. Will someone who has side-swept bangs kindly describe it to me: where is the shortest point of the bangs, and where is the longest? how short is the shortest point/longest point? and once you have it cut, say to the right, can you also wear it to the left? how do you arrange it as such? My chinese hair is stick straight, any bangs will look like straight-cut fringe & won't go to the side !! Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot in advance

Comment

i think you might have to use a styling product in order to get your hair to 'sweep' to the side - and your bangs might also have to be slightly longer than usual for it to curl a little. just show your hairstylist a picture of what you'd like to have (i'm thinking catherine zeta-jones with her sideswept bangs) and he should be able to give you what you want, hopefully!

Comment

Hiya Conquistador! Thanks for the tip! but, I wouldn't bet on showing my hairstylist a picture; the last time I showed her a pics of Jen Aniston long layered locks (aka from the latest Allure magazine, not from "Friends" time) she cut the layers so short that my hair looked like Richie Sambora instead :piss:

I think my problem is that I have Asian hair and live in a small US city; most hairdresser here are used to caucasian hairs. I thought perhaps if I give more pointer, it'll have a better chance at success than just showing pics. Anyhow, I think I still have that Zeta Jones pics, and will err to the longer side

Comment

Thanks for your info.

But some hair stylists do not know what bangs are. And I am used to calling fringe.

Comment

Working...
              X