Dummy's Guide to Application of Eyeshadows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dummy's Guide to Application of Eyeshadows

Anyone care to share how to apply and blend eyeshadows nicely? I must say some of u r real skillful at blending eyeshadows. Pls take care to explain the procedure in layman term, & do include some useful tips!

which brand of eyeshadow wld u recommend for greenhorns? and lastly, I seem to have problem with shimmery eyeshadows..hmm..they dun really flatter my eyes. i wonder why... :roll:
    Last edited by Rykiel; 08-06-2003, 03:09 PM.

Well, definitely not an expert here, but I'll try.

1. I usually curl my lashes first using Shu Uemura curler, hold them 10 secs each gradually slightly pinching from base outwards.

2. Apply base shades allover from lids to brows. Personal fave is MAC Retrospeck. If you don't like shimmers check MAC satin e/s instead of the frost one, I personally find they're more smooth and blendable. Most Stilas are too frosty for my liking.

3. Apply medium shades on crease. Brush a bit of shadows from the pot and apply on the middle crease, blend blen blend. Don't use too much cause sheer is more flattering. Recs: MAC Romp (bronzey choc)

4. Line upper lid with pencil (Chanel Teak is fab choc eye liner, MAC Phone Number for charcoal), then topped with powder eyeshadow. The dark choc from Chanel Nymphea quad is nice. Blend upwards until you can't see viscious color transitions.

5. Lower lid liner is optional, if you have prob with smeared e/s or mascara I rec not to do it. If you do, just LIGHTLY use pencil to line 3/4 outer lower lid. With eyeliner brush apply shimmery light e/s (MAC Retrospeck) from inner lower lid until it meet the dark liner. Apply another layer of highlighter on browbone. Dust any leftover shadows below eyes.

6. Mascara of your choice!

Voila, hope it helps!!!

Comment

u r such a dear!

ok, but im not sure where exactly is the crease, but i know what u meant by the entire lid.

gals, how abt sharing some sure to work combi of eyeshadows colours?

Comment

why dont you just check out CozyFace for ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by ataraxia
          why dont you just check out CozyFace for ideas?
          i did, i did! which is why im asking u gals for advice, cos some of u r real gd at blending colours. i know u ppl usually include the colours of e/s, but i jus need more details..like which colour to go where and the technique of blending etc etc.

Comment

hmm.. usually, the pics of closeups of eyes are quite easy to follow. there's basically a few standard ways of applying eyeshadow.

firstly, you need to choose your colours. you should have at least two colours, of complementary tones. usually, this means colours from the same colour family just in different saturations (eg a sky blue and a navy blue). however, you can always mix and match any and every colour! it's just a matter of being able to think of new complementary combinations from your existing stash. in this case, only looking at FOTDs will help because it'll give you a good idea of suitable colours as well as their effects.

for foolproof combis, these are quite hard to find. but generally, neutrals always work. neutrals range from champagnes to nudes to browns, and can be shimmery or matte, natural or smokey. so they give you lots of room to play with. a good choice would be KP 150 trio - some complain that it's boring, but for a beginner, this would be a safe option.

for applying eyeshadows, these are the methods i usually use (assuming 3 eyeshadows ranging in colour)
            A. Lids
            - apply the middle shade all over your eye socket. you can find your eye socket by touch - it's basically the area where you can feel your eyeball. when applying the eyeshadow, take care NOT to extend it to your browbone area.
            - apply to darkest shade all over your lid, up to your crease.
            - lastly, dust the lightest shade over your brow bone as a highlighter. [optional!]
            - For this technique, blending isnt really necessary, except for blending the lightest highlighter to the middle shade. you can just use your fourth finger to lightly blend the lightest shade "into" the middle shade, or use a brush and dust your loose powder over.

A. Shading
            - apply the lightest shade all over your eye socket
            - apply the middle shade all over your lid
            - apply the darkest shade on the outer third of your lid and blend!

these are the two basic methods. most people would just use the first since it's seriously idiotproof. the second's a little more difficult because it requires more blending. you can always change these by adding more colours.

if you want to "open" up your eyes, line a dark liner on the outer half of your upper eyelid. or, you could dab a bit of a very light, shimmery colour on the inner corner of your upper eye lid.

if your eyes are puffy, avoid shimmery eyeshadow and pinks. usually, for asians, you should choose a shimmery light shade for your eye socket and a dark shade for your lid to create definition.

HTH! ultimately, makeup application is all trial and error. just play around and have fun!
            Last edited by xue; 08-06-2003, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Arigato!

that certainly helped! alright, i shall have fun experimenting.

Comment

Originally posted by ataraxia
                A. Lids
                - apply the middle shade all over your eye socket. you can find your eye socket by touch - it's basically the area where you can feel your eyeball. when applying the eyeshadow, take care NOT to extend it to your browbone area.
                - apply to darkest shade all over your lid, up to your crease.
                - lastly, dust the lightest shade over your brow bone as a highlighter. [optional!]
                - For this technique, blending isnt really necessary, except for blending the lightest highlighter to the middle shade. you can just use your fourth finger to lightly blend the lightest shade "into" the middle shade, or use a brush and dust your loose powder over.
                how about if my eye socket reaches the brows? :huh: and i don't think i have a crease? :huh:

Comment

hmm... sometimes that happens, esp if your eyes are a little small. it happens to me if i dont sleep enough... if they extend all the way up, you'll just have to imagine where they would have stopped and stop there! so you basically "paint" on your own eyesocket area.

as for your crease, it's basically your eye lid. so when you close your eyes, you should see it. again, if you dont have it, or cant find it, just "paint" one on yourself!

Mag's very good at "creating" a double eyelid.

Comment

deleted...
                    Last edited by j3nnyr; 07-01-2008, 07:48 AM.

Comment

ooo, i am a dummy at eyeshadows... but i saw this cool shishedo eyeshadow that changes tone depending on the angle you look at the colour. no need to mix colors...am planning to buy that soon

Comment

deleted...
                        Last edited by j3nnyr; 07-01-2008, 07:48 AM.

Comment

hey you! this forum is making me a bigger makeup, skincare and haircare addict day by day! well, since i have strong support form you, j3nnyr, i will go and buy that this week

Comment

deleted...
                            Last edited by j3nnyr; 07-01-2008, 07:49 AM.

Comment

yup, that is the puppy that i WANT to buy. oh...when is the weekend coming...

Comment

Working...
                              X