Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foundation Application

how do you girls apply your fdtn?

is there a particular method of application that you believe helps your foundation last longest?

personally, i alternate between using my fingers and my trusty MAC fdtn brush. i love using my fingers because of the greater control, but i find my MAC brush gives better coverage.

however, i heard that using fingers would result in the fdtn not lasting too long. supposedly, the oil we secrete dissolves the fdtn. what do you girls think?
    Last edited by nicole; 12-12-2003, 04:18 PM.

Re: foundation application

Originally posted by ataraxia
    however, i heard that using fingers would result in the fdtn not lasting too long. supposedly, the oil we secrete dissolves the fdtn. what do you girls think?
    This theory does rather make sense as using my fingers gives me a more natural finish, as compared to using a fb (Linda Cantello)

Even makeup artists seem to have conflicting opinions on how to apply foundation; some say the only way is to use a brush while others say the best tools are your fingers. Interestingly, few seem to like sponges although I've seen my friends blend their foundation beautifully with them .

Can't really comment on how lasting each method is as I'm more of a TM person, and only use foundation for dinners, parties and interviews. In these situations, my foundation tends to slip off at any rate.

Comment

Hmmm.. good question!

I notice that Jason always uses his fingers to apply foundation. But when I use my fingers the coverage tends to be a little thicker. I guess it depends how u use ur fingers as well. Eons ago, a Clarins MA told me to warm the foundation by rubbing in my hands first and then spreading all over the face (this should get a more natural coverage). But if I use Jason's method, which is basically dabbing the foundation with my fingers and then spreading out, I get heavier coverage. This works well to cover pimples and scars too.

Actually I'm really lazy (always rushing in the mornings too) so a damp sponge works best for me. Foundation brush is alright but a bit of a hassle, although I do notice that my makeup does stay a tad bit longer when I use a brush. Setting with a mist afterwards also seems to help a little.
      Last edited by visee; 06-09-2003, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Hey Xue,
        Like you, I alternate using my fingers and wedge sponge.
        Read in a beauty mag that using fingers allow better blending because of the heat from your fingers.
        But sometimes I find that too messy, and use wedge sponge.

The effect I like most is using fingers though...nothing beats the better control and it really blends well.

Comment

For me, I have been using fingers to blend my foundation all the while. Only recently did I try using wedge sponge. I would say that I didn't notice any difference in staying power. But using finger did give a heavier coverage compared to the sponge. I think I would still advocate the use of fingers to blend, and thereafter use the wedge sponge to dap.

This dapping action will help even out the foundation, blotting away excess from certain spots and to ensure even coverage at tricky areas like the lower part of the nose, just below the lashline, etc. With this excess blotted off, you do not have to worry about having blobs of foundation around to pick up too much loose powder hence making you look patchy.

Comment

I always use finger for my foundation. I find it easier to blend on my face. Hmm... Last longer? I heard from some make up artists is that not to blot our face too often with the blotting paper cos that will wipe off our foundation a bit too.

But I hate the that tinge of oily look on my face so I cannot help but to blot.

Comment

I use my fingers mostly and only use a wedge sponge when I am using Ayura's whitening essence base.

If the base is the Ayura one, i find that using fingers will leave streaks.... while using a wedge sponge does not. Does anyone have this situation?

I do find that fingers will help to give a natural finish. I do not find that coverage is heavier... perhaps because i dont use a lot of foundatio? Not sure why...

I have not tried foundation brush yet... will be getting on from TBS to try out... Finally got something to buy using the voucher. *sweat*

True that famous makeup artists were undecided. People like bobbi brown uses hand... while others advocate wedge sponge, etc.

Comment

MAC Studio Finish PP NC35

Since we're at foundations topic, I have a question :huh:

I m Becca LSC Tan, Becca Pressed powder Mocha, RMK 105.
                For that, is MAC Studio Finish pp NC35 suitable for my skintone?

Xue, you know I have problems finding matching shades

Please help! Thanks dearies!

Comment

Re: MAC Studio Finish PP NC35

Originally posted by Hunny
                  I am no expert here... but I think NC35 may be a tad too light for you. I am a Becca LSC Nude, RMK 103 (for liquid) and I am NC30-35 thereabout.

I have problems getting my exact shade also... I end up having a slightly whiter loose powder to go over my slightly darker foundation and a slightly darker loose powder to go over my slightly lighter foundation. Hope I am making sense to you :roll:

Comment

Hi Vonnie,
                    yah you make perfect sense to me!
                    I m too lazy to mix and match my correct tone using different foundation.
                    And buying all the possible shades at the counter would turn my room into a mini cosmetic bar.
                    In the mornings, I have no time to mix the correct color combination too, so I end up applying slightly lighter foundation with darker lp to go over, or vice versa.
                    This is what Jemay taught me

And Vonnie, thanks for your pointers and help for the NC35.

Comment

Makes perfect sense, Von

If I wear Becca LSC Cashmere, I have to team it with Sesama LP. For LSC Camel, I have to pair with Eggshell LP.

I just heard that the new MAC Select LP colours are not similar to the codings.. for example, if you wear NC20 foundations, you might need the powder in NC15.

Like most of you, I use my fingers. Have tried with SHU sponges and TBS foundation brush - can't really tell the difference. Generally, it depends on the foundations you wear, I suppose. Brushes help spread liquid foundations well esp around the nose. Fingers (possibly the heat theory) allow cream foundations to settle nicely.
                      Last edited by Glossie; 06-09-2003, 10:53 AM.

Comment

I usually use finger for liquid fdn (like GA MSF) and sponge for creamy fdn (like KA SSE). I "think" it depends on the texture of fdn??? For fdn that gives sheer coverage, like msf and future skin, I think fingers give better coverage. Vice versa, for fdn that gives high coverage, like sse and cle de peau, I think sponge blends more naturally. JMO though.. hehe

Comment

Hunny and Glossie.... glad I am on the right track!

Belly, I agree with what you say. When I use GA MSF, I use my finger too. I feel that just one pump is enough for the entire face if I use finger... but think I will need much more if I were to use sponge or brush. Moreover, the spreading consistency for certain foundation just do not warrant the use of applicators other then fingers!

Comment

i use my fingers for all my foundations. IPSA, Chantecaille, KP liquid. never found any problems with streaking. i find using fingers easiest to work with. used to use wedge sponges. i find the finish and coverage to be the same. honestly, i can't tell if using tools or fingers does yield a better coverage, better finish or result in longer lasting wear.

Comment

Re: MAC Studio Finish PP NC35

interesting interesting! great to hear what everyone thinks. it seems like we're overwhelmingly in favour of using our fingers?

Originally posted by Hunny
                              Since we're at foundations topic, I have a question :huh:

Xue, you know I have problems finding matching shades

Please help! Thanks dearies!
                              hey dear, i find that the MAC colours differ slightly! to me, the best is still to buy two foundations of your extremes - the lightest you'll ever get and the darkest you'll ever get. then blend your own colour depending on your skintone that day. i'm using this method and it works perfectly! no worries about mask-like fdtns. also, i use a 'nude' LP so it doesn't show up.

or else, Vonnie's suggestion works perfectly. smart move Yvonne!

Comment

Working...
                              X