Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoky eyes' makeup

Dear Darlings:

I'd like to know what are the application tips to getting the smoky looks without looking like someone just punched ur face..

I've seen some really wonderful babes with their eyes well done and neutral lips to complete the look.. Please share your wealth of knowledge on achieving that smoke-in-your-eyes look! TIA!
    Last edited by teiko; 04-07-2004, 02:40 PM.

for this, you really have to stella, paphio and erica! their smokey eye looks are sooooo gorgeous!

Comment

Really?

Stella, paphio and erica!!! Kindly report to this thread n share your wonderful secrets! I can't wait!!

p.s. thanks ataraxia for letting me know! *winks*

Comment

i'm a beginner myself when it comes to smokey eyes, stella is the real guru here!

anyway if you are afraid of the 'getting punched in the eyes' look, you might wanna start off with soft colours instead of black. greys give a lovely soft smokey effect and is one of the 'in' colours for this season. you can also try blues or even plums.

also i find that for smokey eyes, it really make a difference if you line the inner rims of your eyes. it makes the look more complete and ups the sultry factor!

Comment

fantastic site! thanks a million for the rec!

Comment

Elize, thanks for that most helpful link! I love John Gustafson too!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pandora76
              Elize, thanks for that most helpful link! I love John Gustafson too!!!
              Is he not ab fab?? I SO want a personal session with him, and would not mind starving myself to afford the ?100 fee! Unfortunately the waiting list is currently 3 yrs and counting!!

Comment

Will reiterate... go to Jason at Trinity Tricolore to learn the smokey eye, with just one colour some more!

Personally, I work with two colours. Take note that I have hidden eyelids, i.e. look single-lidded. Puffy contours, no socket to speak of.

Three zones:
                a) Browbone- left bare
                b) Area below browbone visible when eyes are opened
                c) Lid (hidden in my case)

Step 1. Area below brow bone - because it's a large area, brush to apply a pale colour. Lids left untouched.
                Step 2. Lids - Using fingers, apply smokey shade over lids. Pale colour wasn't used over the lids to maintian intensity of the smokey shade.

Step 3. The use of fingers makes it very intuitive, you feel the shape of your eye's contours.
                Bit by bit, shade the smokey shade beyond the lids *into* the paler colour above, such that you will see the smokey effect when you open your eyes. Gauge how your eyes look when open and repeat until satisfied.

Actually, instead of a paler colour, I really use *COLOUR*, like blue/green/purples etc. This is how I do a coloured smokey eye Can't stand plain black or brown.

For extras, you can line the inner edge of the eyelids and use a highlighter on the browbone.

I have yet to master the art of lining and shading the lower lids. Looks awful.
                Last edited by paphio; 08-09-2003, 12:05 PM.

Comment

no worries Pap, you look gorgeous without the last detail anyway.

i've found that the lining your lower rim thing looks good only for girls with gorgeous big double-lidded eyes like Jemay and Erica. on girls like me with hooded lids or single eye lids, we just look punched more often than not

Comment

Originally posted by ataraxia
                    i've found that the lining your lower rim thing looks good only for girls with gorgeous big double-lidded eyes like Jemay and Erica. on girls like me with hooded lids or single eye lids, we just look punched more often than not
                    Thanks for that pointer because I'm a slitty-eyed, single-lidded gal... :roll:

But Xue, your eyes speak volumes! Very sultry and come-hither in a flirty and playful way! Jason says he loves working with single-lidded girls because they have a certain sexiness and allure that's all their own...I guess this must be what he meant.

Comment

I 2nd what Paphio have said: go to Jason at Trinity Tricolore.

I've also learned my smokey-eyes skills from jason. Using 2 colours that complement each other, one is a light-medium shade & the other is a dark colour.

What he taught me was, using my fingers, shade the lighter shade right in the middle of my eyelid, close to lash-line. Then followed by the darker shade on the outer corners, again close to the lash-line. After that, with a brush (think Jason used an angled brush), line the lower lids with the dark colour. To make the line as close to the eyelash, go over the lashline with a pencil. And also line your upper lids for the ohhmmp factor!

With a subtle pop of blush and a smack of nude lipgloss, I'm done for the smokey look! I was so much in love with my look for the rest of that day

Thought it was difficult to 'copy' what he did on me, but when i tried it myself at home, it wasn't that hard at all. Just practice it for a few times and everyone can get it

Comment

Originally posted by pandora76
                        Thanks for that pointer because I'm a slitty-eyed, single-lidded gal... :roll:

But Xue, your eyes speak volumes! Very sultry and come-hither in a flirty and playful way! Jason says he loves working with single-lidded girls because they have a certain sexiness and allure that's all their own...I guess this must be what he meant.
                        thanks girl jason always scolds me for complaining about my eyes! he was mortified when i casually said i was thinking of using eyelid stickers

but even for us, we can do smokey eyes. the trick is to 'mark' out the 'border' with your eyes open to see how far up you have to go in order for the darker colour to be seen. instead of lining the bottom lid, we can rim it. or else, the right skinny angled brush makes all the difference in the world.

one of my fave smokey eyes these days is to use Trax alone and blend like crazy. amazingly smokey effect!

Comment

I really *must* find the time to go see Jason and learn the smoky eyed look from him soon.....I need to practice before all those year-end parties!!!

Comment

Elize: thanks for the links! really helpful! *smiles*

I have double eye-lids with pretty large eyes.. So i think I can do with lining the inner rims of my eye but the first thing which comes to mind is my contacts! Since i wear them, is it safe to line the inner rim of my eyes? If it's safe, then do I line just the lower rim or upper rim as well?

Also paphio, u mentioned "Bit by bit, shade the smokey shade beyond the lids *into* the paler colour above, such that you will see the smokey effect when you open your eyes."

This means i have to extend the smokey shade beyond the eye socket area, right? How far do i extend them? Just a bit or just near the outer corner of my eyes?

Last question: where is Trinity Tricolore?

Thanks to all for your inputs!

Comment

Originally posted by snow angel
                              Last question: where is Trinity Tricolore?
                              It's on the 5th floor of Delfi Orchard.

Comment

Working...
                              X