Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making lip gloss from Lip stick?

Wonder if anyone tried doing this?

If you did, what should be the ingredients and in what proportion?

Thanx in advance!

oh! i did this when i was in DIY phase a few years back. i'd melt petroleum jelly and bits of lipstick (i scraped all the remains from my mom's different colours of finished tubes of lipstick) in a metal scoop over a tealight and add in a) vanilla essence for yummy smell and taste and b) honey as a preservative and moisturizer. then i'd pour it into a little pot or palette and wait for it to solidify. voila! solid lipgloss!

Comment

Originally posted by feine
      oh! i did this when i was in DIY phase a few years back. i'd melt petroleum jelly and bits of lipstick (i scraped all the remains from my mom's different colours of finished tubes of lipstick) in a metal scoop over a tealight and add in a) vanilla essence for yummy smell and taste and b) honey as a preservative and moisturizer. then i'd pour it into a little pot or palette and wait for it to solidify. voila! solid lipgloss!
      What kind of honey? Essence? Can put on the mouth??

Thanx!!!

Comment

oh any kind of honey will do -- as long as it's 100% honey. yummy stuff!

Comment

oh yes -- just a teeny bit of honey and vanilla essence will do. especially the essence! it's super concentrated and a little will go a long way. how much petroleum jelly you add (some people substitute this with beeswax) determines how sheer your gloss will be, and also how runny.

Comment

cool beans!! sounds interesting!!! can you mix your own colour then?? can we use lipglasses?

Comment

lipglasses? i dunno. up to you!

but i love my lipglasses so i wouldn't mix them with dodgy lippies... they're perfect on their own!

Comment

oh my gosh! this sounds so cool...i'm really into DIY! will try it out real soon!

Comment

Just had my chemistry session! The lipglosses turned out very well!

Here's what I did:

Instead of honey (which my mum was afraid will attract ants) and vanilla essence (which i dont have), i used the fruit lipbalm from body shop. chose the watermelon one.

The ratio of lipbalm to lipstick is 1: 2, coz i want shine! I scrap a bit of the lip stick -- around 0.2cm of the lipstick and quite a bit of the lip balm.

in my first attempt, i added lavender essence and the watermelon lipbalm.

in my second attempt, i skipped the lavender. only lip stick and lip balm.

found that with the essence, there is only the additional smell....

My two lipsticks - Kose (lowerend) colour (forgot what colour) and MAC freckle.

MAC freckle turned out lighter and shinier, and the kose one turned out to be a pretty purple pink with shine.

Comment

Originally posted by feine
                    lipglasses? i dunno. up to you!

but i love my lipglasses so i wouldn't mix them with dodgy lippies... they're perfect on their own!
                    heheh, true true!

i'm dying to try this!!!! any palette would do? what kinda scoops do you use for heating dear? so exciting!

(sorry, i'm such a bimbo )

Comment

Originally posted by ataraxia
                      heheh, true true!

i'm dying to try this!!!! any palette would do? what kinda scoops do you use for heating dear? so exciting!

(sorry, i'm such a bimbo )
                      I bought a lip palette from sasa, costing only $1.62.

I used a teaspoon for it, coz the palette slots are rather small.

no worries. I was equally as excited when i started it. Because I was a little afraid of fire, i actually got my BF to help me with it... He was wondering why I had to go to so much trouble to create a new lip colour....

Comment

enlisting your guy sounds like a good plan!

i can just see myself standing a metre away shouting out orders...
                        "no baby a little closer"
                        "more lipstick dearie!"

Comment

enlisting your guy sounds like a good plan!

i can just see myself standing a metre away shouting out orders...
                          "no baby a little closer"
                          "more lipstick dearie!"

I wasn't so bad. I was quite near in fact, just not the one holding the lighter....

But i was shouting.... "stop fire!" "start fire!" and "stop!" (while he was pouring into the palette...

I did not adjust the ratio of lipstick to lipbalm when it starts burning though, as my BF would have to hold the fire (otherwise will harden) and holding the fire too long will be bad for it... burnt....

Comment

hold the fire?? how??

i'm a big fat wimp when it comes to things like this. he even has to force me to feed kangaroos and horses. i love them but i'm scared to death.

Comment

hold the fire?? how??

i'm a big fat wimp when it comes to things like this. he even has to force me to feed kangaroos and horses. i love them but i'm scared to death.
                              if you stop the fire, then the thing will harden after a short while. so you got to keep the fire going to maintain the liquid state.

Comment

Working...
                              X