Sensitive / Dry Skin Foundation Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensitive / Dry Skin Foundation Woes

i've dry/sensitive skin and some products make my skin really really red (no breakouts though). my skin's a little blotchy around the cheeks and so i'm seeking out my first foundation. after reading most of the threads here - i'm really confused.
    concealer, foundation, loose powder, 2-way cake. what are the differences? i know concealer helps hide flaws like blemishes/eyebags and loose powder helps set makeup right? do correct me if i'm wrong.
    i had a sample pack of Maybelline's Clear Smooth gel foundation but it made my face look cakey and "plastic" (luckily i was just playing around with it at home)
    so are there any recommendations for dry/sensitive skin like mine? i think i would favour powder foundation more as liquid ones are a bit messy to deal with right? my budget would be $50<.
    thanks!
    Last edited by spiralled; 02-02-2004, 03:08 PM.

hey girl don't be so confused...

Foundation: there are a few kinds
    - Liquid: provides very natural and sheer coverage, usually for people with clear and/or normal/combi skin
    -Cream: provides thicker coverage than liquid, may have oil-controlling properties depending on which brand you buy
    -2-way cake: basically a foundation in pressed powder format

Loose Powder: for setting the makeup, minimal or no coverage at all

Concealer: to cover up the eye bags or the ugly spots/scars on your face

Actually since your skin is dry, i suggest you go for liquid cos' powder foundation might make your skin look flaky (peeling)?
    You might like to try RMK's liquid foundation, it's really light and natural, you can go to Isetan Scotts to get samples before you buy

Comment

Liquid foundation is not as hard as you imagine. Get something that is easy to blend and you'll love it soon enough. Chuck your maybelline's. I think you'll adore prescriptives virtual skin. Go test it out at the counter. Rub some into the back of your hand and you'll be instantly sold!

Comment

You must prim your face properly before applying any foundation. Use a scrub to get rid of flakies and moisturise well to provide a smooth surface for the foundation to glide on.

Since your skin is dry, you can try both cream/liquid type of foundation. If you do not have much flaws to cover, i suggest you stay away from concealers. They tend to accentuate flaky dry skin!

Comment

First things first, were you born with that skin or is it something you use that's making you sensitive. If its an allergy perhaps you want to find out what's that making your skin sensitive 1st before you proceed with foundation per se.

Few things that will make skin dry & sensitive - very peeling, too much sun without proper sun protection, inadequate moisturisers or wrong type of moisturier, too high contect of alcohol toners too yes kills pimples but will kill your skin too.. (clinique did this to me - peeling, flaky skin, dry skin)

Comment

Re: foundation woes.

Originally posted by spiralled
            i've dry/sensitive skin and some products make my skin really really red (no breakouts though). my skin's a little blotchy around the cheeks and so i'm seeking out my first foundation. after reading most of the threads here - i'm really confused.
            concealer, foundation, loose powder, 2-way cake. what are the differences? i know concealer helps hide flaws like blemishes/eyebags and loose powder helps set makeup right? do correct me if i'm wrong.
            i had a sample pack of Maybelline's Clear Smooth gel foundation but it made my face look cakey and "plastic" (luckily i was just playing around with it at home)
            so are there any recommendations for dry/sensitive skin like mine? i think i would favour powder foundation more as liquid ones are a bit messy to deal with right? my budget would be $50<.
            thanks!
            Ok, one question at a time! There's a lot of info in these forums so it's definitely understandable if you feel lost. I feel that way pretty often! Just read through and try to digest as much as possible. If there's anything you don't understand, feel free to ask. The girls will gladly answer or direct you to a place to find answers. That's the great thing about this community!

Firstly, vit_c brought up a good point. Is the sensitivity of your skin innate? If it's always been there, then we just have to deal with it as it is. If it just developed recently, you might want to look into it and solve the 'root' of the problem.

Secondly, Pauline has already answered your questions about the different type of products. Generally, we would apply foundation first (cream or liquid) to even out complexion, then concealer to conceal specific blemishes and dark circles, then powder (loose or pressed) to set.

Thirdly, from what you've said, I gather that your main grouse is uneven complexion (blotchiness)? If so, a foundation may suffice, though you may want to get a concealer for undereye circles. Like some of the girls have said already, a liquid foundation would be preferable over a cream or even powder one. Liquid foundations are generally quite sheer, which is probably all you need for you relatively good skin condition. Cream and powder foundations are often heavier as they give better coverage, so they emphasise the dryness of your skin. In contrast, some liquid foundations are actually hydrating!

I think there're a few recommendations by girls somewhere. If I recall correctly, Chanel Vitaluminaire (SIC!) was recommended. It's specifically meant for dry skin and generally from experience, Chanel's products are quite good for sensitive skin. My skin is v sensitive too (turns red if something remotely disagrees with it). I've used IPSA's foundations and they're pretty good! Light, but still give decent coverage. There's one that hydrates too, though I can't remember the name offhand. Try searching for it? :huh:

Lastly, you might want to consider just getting a tinted moisturiser to 'ease' your transition. Especially if your skin's good, foundation might not be necessary. A tinted moisturiser could suffice in evening out your blotchiness while hydrating. There's a huge thread on that, so do check that one out!

And don't worry about application of liquid foundation. It's a lot easier than it looks. When buying the product, remember to have it tested on the side of your face to check if your skin is ok with it and whether the colour matches. Don't buy it immediately. It's best to walk around with the foundation on for a while, so you can see it in different lighting and check if the colour changes (oxidisation) over time. Plus, your skin may not react immediately. Generally, when I buy foundation, I test it at least on 3 separate occasions. But I'm really really cautious about buying foundations now and it's also a good way to avoid spending money.

Good luck in your searcH!!

Comment

Ataraxia's said it all. Do make use of our Search function. This is but one appropriate one where you might be able to find an answer:

Foundation Help

Good luck!

Comment

Foundation for sensitive skin

I have very sensitive skin(got contact dermatitis b4) and I'm currently looking for a foundation suitable for sensitive skin. I'm using Fancl belmeil 2 way cake now. However, it cause my face to form yellow crust around some areas after several hrs. Can I know if there's any foundation suitable for my skin? I have dehydrated and oily skin.
                Thanks!

Comment

i agree with ataraxia, Chanel Vitalumiere (liquid type) is quite good for dry skins. It's not too drying, yet makeup does not feel like a mask. SPF15, coverage is pretty ok, medium coverage i would say.
                  However, the colours are slightly pinkish to me, so you got to try it to find a good match. btw, it's $62 for 30ml.

I'm currently using creamy RMK foundation, however i moisturise properly and prime my skin before application to avoid a "dry cakey" look. Then I would dust a THIN layer of powder to set it.

My skin is more to the dry side also, however, this supposedly creamy matt RMK foundation (for oil-control) works well for me to conceal redness and scars. Cost is $59.

The tip, like the gals above mentioned , is to prime your skin before makeup and apply a THIN layer of foundation. Pat/smooth foundation on gently, do not "rub it on". You can always add more to build up coverage. Dust loose powder on to "set" it. Try to do your makeup near natural light to see the effect better!
                  Another tip is to add a mist of "moisturiser" after you finish the base makeup( foundation + powder OR 2-way cake). This is to reduce the "powdered" up look. Can use RMK's mist or HABA Squa Dew.

Go around to diff brands counters and TRY before you buy, it's v impt as a foundation may "change colour" after 1-2hrs(oxidise).

Do remember that proper removal of makeup is also vital!
                  For dehydrated skins, try to "treat" the dehydrated problem as well by looking for mild, non-drying skincare/makeup products now. Can try doing hydrating masks, using hydrating serums, and exfoliating abt twice a week to enhance skin renewal and to increase moisture level.

As skin normalises, you will find lots of suitable products in the market!

Hope this helps someone!
                  Last edited by purebleu; 11-02-2004, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Re: Foundation for sensitive skin

Originally posted by zedy
                    However, it cause my face to form yellow crust around some areas after several hrs.
                    I don't really understand enough to imagine what these crusts are.. it sounds like the foundation caked on you. Can you elaborate in other words..? Ha ha..

Which foundations have you used that didn't work for you? Have you tried Tinted Moisturisers?

BTW, Welcome to CC! Would you please let us get to know you better at CozyBabes?

Comment

Make-up Tips for Sensitive Dry Skin

Hi girls - I'm trying not to give up, but having difficulty applying make-up on my sensitive dry skin. Nothing seems to stay, my make-up either turns flaky or cake after a while. So super ugly!!! Don't know whats wrong really. I've already moisturised my face religiously. But it would be helpful if you can share some tips on make-up application etc etc...

Comment

Flaky skin is because the dead cells are not removed. In addition to moisturising, you might want to try exfoliating your face regularly before using a hydrating mask. Doing this twice a week should improve your skin's flakiness. Could also be because in addition, you're not using makeup that suits your skin.

Comment

belmeil and stila foundations are gentle for sensitive skin...

i have sensitive skin have been alternating this two for past few years...

i'm trying to sell my foundation away cos its too dark shade for me.... selling stila shade D and 40 watts...

and selling belmeil 03..if that is ur colour u can get it from me..i'm selling cheaper but they are brand new..i haven touched them..they are my extra tubes and bottles i bought to keep ...didn't expect my skin to become fairer.

Comment

i'll be an intern at a company soon so i'll need a foundation or tinted moisturiser to even out my skintone plus hopefully hide the few pimples i have on my left cheek. yes! left cheek only, it's really weird and i usually neglect it but i have to look presentable for the job.

i'm eyeing these few foundations: chanel vitalumiere, stila illuminating foundation/tinted moisturiser, the natural source's tinted moisturiser.
                            i've browsed through their respective threads, but i would like a comparison between them - so please help! my skin is dry and sensitive, but i'm curbing it with moisturiser. thanks!

Comment

How dry is your skin? Are we talking bits of skin flaking off?

I had really dry eczema-ed red terrible skin last yr & I found that the vitalumiere creme gave me the best coverage - it covered up my sundried tomato skin. I tried the Stila but I had to use the NARS primer underneath - it contains chamomile etc to soothe sensitive skin.

Comment

Working...
                              X