Eye Shadows - Colour Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye Shadows - Colour Selection

Hi! I caught an episode of "America's Next Top Model" on Monday and saw the makeup artist advising the models not to match eye shadows with their outfits. This came as a surprise to me cos though I hardly use eye makeup, I do have a pink eye shadow which I would apply whenever I don my pink summer dress

Anyway, my point is - on what basis should we select the colours of eye shadow?

Please pardon me if my question is silly, for I am somewhat of a novice where eye makeup is concerned. Or to put it in another way - my eyes are sufficiently enchanting to not need art

Yes I thought his advice was sooo rubbish! :roll: Although I suppose there's some truth in it, in the sense that if everything you were wearing was pink from head to toe it would look a little bit bland. But I certainly never heard of a rule writ in stone that says you can never never ever match your e/s to your outfit!

Personally I've never subscribed to the idea that certain ppl can only wear certain e/s shades. I think that's very limiting, so just get out there, try anything that appeals to you, and when you try it out on your eyes you'll know what flatters you and what doesn't. Same with clothes, I suppose.

Have fun trying!

Comment

I just finished reading "Excuse me, are you a model?" by Bonny Hicks and true enough, she did mention in the book that one should never choose an eyeshadow colour to match the colour of the outfit.
      What I thought would be good is that choose the colour that matches your skin tone.

Comment

hmm..i guess you dun exactly gotta use a e/s colour complimentary to whatever you are wearing, just use watever colour that suits you & can bring out your peepers! i am forever tempted to buy those nice sweet pink e/s that i see whenever i go shopping BUT i know it doesn suit me at all, so i resisted buying them.pink e/s makes my eyes look puffy, & i look like i have swollen eyes on photos!!

Comment

I don't like to wear exact color on my eyes as I wear on my body. I usually choose something in the same tone and the make-up in the right mood. If I am wearing a pink dress, I may like a light wash of lavender on the cool side or coral on the warm side. Just choose something which your eyes thing are right. Somehow, it's just a mood. No rules... if you want a monotone outlook, maybe you can match the exact color as your outfit.

Comment

I think it would look pretty boring and bland if you match the colour of your eyeshadow with your clothes. Most of the time I would choose the colours depending on my mood.
            For example, going clubbing I would either do black , blue or grey smokey eye which can go with any outfit .. say sliver or whitish sliver top. I think this is what he means by not matching what you wear with your eyeshadow. I think it would be best to stick to colours which goes with your natural eye colour and what makes it look best or be daring and try bold colours which scream out loud! . The main thing is to make your eyes brighter and pop out !

Comment

I love to pair contrasting colours. It's an interesting irony that the most beautiful colour combinations are sometimes those which directly contrast each other. E.g. instead of pairing shadows in gradiations in colour such as light blue and navy, "juxtaposing" shades such as olive green and navy make for a unique eye look... (in my humble opinion heh)

Hmm I guess I usually create an eye look based on the look I want to achieve : professional? Summery? Girlish?

Imagine someone decked in pink from top to toe - pink eyeshadow, pink dress, pink nails, pink shoes...

Comment

i think it would be a little awful if one were to dress top to bottom same tone....

ever saw one girl, hair - dyed bright pink... dress pink... pink sandals... pink nails.... lucky i didn't see her face....

Comment

Originally posted by SantaGaL
                  i think it would be a little awful if one were to dress top to bottom same tone....

ever saw one girl, hair - dyed bright pink... dress pink... pink sandals... pink nails.... lucky i didn't see her face....
                  man! That is so scary!!! I think that is the extreme.

Comment

I think it really depends on mood as well. Also, whether it contrasts or matches the outfit, it depends on how an individual views it (beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder =P).

Perhaps colour sensibility and technique plays a part as well....
                    Since there are so many colours around, there are never-ending mixing and matching to the point where there could also be a combination of matching and contrasting colours !!!
                    I'm sure there are plenty of experienced cotters here who does fantastic blendings .

Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by nywoe
                      Yes I thought his advice was sooo rubbish! :roll: Although I suppose there's some truth in it, in the sense that if everything you were wearing was pink from head to toe it would look a little bit bland. But I certainly never heard of a rule writ in stone that says you can never never ever match your e/s to your outfit!

Personally I've never subscribed to the idea that certain ppl can only wear certain e/s shades. I think that's very limiting, so just get out there, try anything that appeals to you, and when you try it out on your eyes you'll know what flatters you and what doesn't. Same with clothes, I suppose.

Have fun trying!
                      Couldn't have said it better myself, Jeanette.

There shouldn't be rules when it comes to makeup. Wear what you like! I'd wear pink with pink clothes... but I'd break it up with anoher color .. pink e/s with purple perhaps or blue or white .. whatever floats my boat.

Comment

Thank you very much for the advice, folks! It sure saves me from committing a make-up faux pas!

Comment

Working...
                        X