Making Makeup Last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Makeup Last

Most of us spend a lot of time getting that 'look' down pat. But how do you ensure that it stays that way throughout the day?

I doubt I'm the only one who faces the problem of makeup doing a 'disappearing' trick on you by mid-day, especially in our humid hot singapore weather. What tricks do you have to combat this problem?

Here're some of mine! Do share any tips or tricks you love too

- makeup primer: i find applying moisturiser just before applying my makeup (wait until my face becomes almost dry before applying) helps.

- POWDER!!! Apply a light dusting of powder all over, especially after foundation. only problem is too much produces a very matte unnatural finish, and powder emphasises any fine lines and eventually cakes.

- Eyeshadow: use a base like a MAC paint. Really helps the eyeshadow stick on and prevent it from migrating! I always dust a liberal dose of powder under my eyes, to prevent any stray powder from 'catching on' to my concealer. BUT my eyeshadow still creases thanks to my oily lids!

- blusher: i apply a cream/liquid blusher first, then powder, then powder blusher, then powder. so when the top layers 'melt' away, the cream blusher still remains! but this takes quite a bit of time and is largely impractical on most mornings. and you have to take care to apply similar colours and not too much, or you'll end up looking like a clown!

- lips: supposedly, colouring in your lips with a pencil first helps. I'm not into lip pencils so i never tried that. but i do apply foundation and then powder over my lips first, to make the product stay.

- mascara: i find that lots of mascaras smudge horribly on me with my oily lids. finding the right mascara (Fasio or Dramatical for me) really helps. But when I'm in a fix without my staples, topping up your mascara with a coat of clear mascara helps for me!

and most importantly, don't touch your face!!!

ok, so that's what I do. what do you girls do??

I find that using a 2 way foundation keeps me matter than the conventional foundation and loose powder. Perfect for those "i'm running late" mornings!

I always use a lipstick and top off with a smiliar tone lipgloss. Give my lips more omph and the colours stay longer than just using lipgloss alone.

I apply the yellow tone of the KP concealer on my eye socket to make shadows stay.

I second xue's blusher tip. Using a cream/liquid type and topping off with a powder blush is a fool-proof method for singapore's humid weather!

Comment

Great thread!

For base makeup: a makeup base would be good. I like RMK liquid make up base but nowadays I find that I don't have time to wait for sunscreen followed by makeup base to be quickly and thoroughly absorbed. In such a situation, my make up ends up looking cakey and thick. So I make do with my Ipsa sun screen and when fully absorbed, it makes my base makeup really last. No blotting required

Blusher: Cream blushes help followed by a dusting of powder blush.

Eye: I use liquid foundation as a base and/or KP's yellow undertone light up. It could be insufficient as eyeshadows hardly stay true on me. As for eyeliner, I think wearing it with waterproof mascara really helps keep the smudging at bay. Don't know the logic but I can never wear eye kohls without wearing mascara

Comment

i use RMK make up base all over and dab concealer on my eyelids before i apply eyeshadow.

Comment

for foundation..I also use a primer..i currently use laneige's one..I think i will repurchase =] i never really have to blot..but then again..it isnt summer yet..also dusting loose powder works but I dont really like the effect so if I drop by my home at night..I will usually reapply my make up before I go out

thats pretty much all I know..haha..I never thought about dusting powder blush on top of cream blush!
          for eye shadow..i have heard many people use somekind of base as well

Comment

Xue, like you I too have oily lids and virtually every mascara eventually smudges on me... so what I do now to ensure minimal smudges or NO smudges is to put on my best mascara (the one that also smudges the least..and mine isn't even waterproof..) and then place a tissue underneath my eye and blink a lot of times ( all the while ensuring that my lashes touch the tissue) and this ensures that the excess mascara gets wiped on the tissue and basically I do this until Im satisfied that there are no smudges left on the tissue. Then I pat on a little loose powder on my outer undereye and thats it. I've heard of using clear mascara over your black mascara, but Ive never tried it. But the tissue method still works wonders for me nowadays and I dont shy away from using mascara anymore! Hurray!

Ive also found that mixing Vaseline with a little lipstick (havent tried this with lipgloss) gives a sheer wash of wet colour that really lasts....

Comment

For eye m/u,

1. applying e/s using brush wetted with Mixing Media from MAC's Pro range. This is fancy works afterall, not for everyday. Really works, ultra-true colours. The application is *thick*, needs more blending but lasts on my oily lids. Just a slight bit of creasing/fading at the end of the day. Some MAC afficionados claim that 3 parts water to 1 part glycerin works just as well.
              I'm more concerned with whether the liquid will spoil the powder e/s

2. using a "base" to grip the eye colour". Experience tells me that use as little foundation as possible and no rich eye cream at the crease to avoid caking under the base. Benefit's Creaseless Creme, Maybelline's Cool Effect tube colour. MAC paints crease on me

Mascaras - swipe waterproof formula over my favourite formula to waterproof it, and create easy removal. Curl lashes so that it won't smudged against the lower lids.

I gave up on foundation lasting on my oily face. I leave it to how well my oil glands want to behave.
              For fairly good skin girls like me who needs just to even out skintone, it really worked when I followed my friend's tip to apply foundation just where I need evening out. Looks just like good skin. But probably not adequate if you are anticipating being photographed.

Comment

my makeup need to last for attendence @ wedding dinners :

for eyes m/u: a dusting of loose powder on top of eyeshadow

for lippy, I'll brush lipstick on, blot (repeat 2 times) then apply lipstick again.... it makes the color stay at least till middle of the dinner without an ugly lip outline (otherwise left by a lip liner) for me

for shine, all i can do is blot & dust on pressed /loose powder

my skin type : sensitive, acne-prone & combination(Oily)

Comment

an oil-free makeup primer before foundation and after moisturiser. i like EL's Ideal Matte.

for eyeshadows to stay put, i like using MAC's paints. Bare Canvas is a superb neutral which doesn't alter the colour of your eyeshadows. it has very very subtle shimmers which helps brighten up the eye area.

for blushers to stay put, your best bet is probably a liquid blush. cream blushes tend to turn oily on me so i usually stay away. powder blushes have pretty long staying power on me but nothing tops liquid blushes. alternatively, like xue suggested. layer on powder over cream/liquid/gel will allow the colour to stay on the whole day. for liquid blushes, be sure to blend quickly coz they stain rather fast. i like Benefit's Benetint. it imparts a rosy tinge on your cheeks. very wearable, pretty and natural. but i'm so lazy and hate to blend. nothing beats the ease of powder blushes.

as for lippies, matte lipsticks will probably go on the longest. otherwise, you've to be more conscientious about re-application. also, you can consider using a colourless lip liner. you can buy one from Leonard Drake. i can't remember the cosmetics line which they carry.

Comment

Originally posted by paphio
                    For eye m/u,

1. applying e/s using brush wetted with Mixing Media from MAC's Pro range. This is fancy works afterall, not for everyday. Really works, ultra-true colours. The application is *thick*, needs more blending but lasts on my oily lids. Just a slight bit of creasing/fading at the end of the day. Some MAC afficionados claim that 3 parts water to 1 part glycerin works just as well.
                    I'm more concerned with whether the liquid will spoil the powder e/s
                    haven't seen you in a while!

for MAC e/s, i've been using them wet. the pan looks 'uglier' but it still works fine, dry or wet!

Comment

Originally posted by ataraxia
                      haven't seen you in a while!

for MAC e/s, i've been using them wet. the pan looks 'uglier' but it still works fine, dry or wet!
                      I too was wondering whether would the water spoil my e.s
                      Used it wet and the effects was good but it made the e.s harden and harder to use the next time.

Comment

What I usually do has been discussed already heheh. Here's more:

Using a mattifier on lids help eyeshadow stay longer.

To prevent smudging of mascara, I apply my usual mascara, then top it up with Panda Non mascara. Panda non is smudge proof on me cause it isn't really black.

Comment

Re using e/s wet, i saw a suggestion on the MAC lj community which seemed pretty good. Use half the pan wet, and save the other half for using dry. That way, you don't "spoil" the whole surface of the pan

Comment

I have a question for you all. Do you bring some makeup such as eyeshadow and blusher to touch up your face in the middle of a day??

Comment

No, but I used to do that.

Comment

Working...
                              X