• Show
Clear All

• The Finer Points of Eye Makeup

Gals...

Some useful information

EXPERT TIPS

MISTAKES ON EYE MAKEUP

E/S APPLICATION
    Last edited by dolphin; 11-06-2004, 10:01 AM.

More interesting Facts..

Do we sub-consciously do this at times :roll:

TIP: When using an eye pencil, open your mouth slightly to relax the eye muscles. It will make lining a lot easier without having to pull or tug at your lid.

TIP: On days when you are really pressed for time, apply the base color to the eye then skip to mascara and you?re done.

TIP: When applying eyeshadow to the crease of the eye, keep your eyes open and slightly tilt your head backward. This will enable you to better see the shape you are creating and allowing the shadow to go into the crease.

If you really want to make the color of your eyes pop, choose a contrasting color in a soft tone and apply this to the lids. Blue eyes come alive with pale peach or cantaloupe hues, green eyes seem richer with light bronze or caramel tones, hazel eyes become more alluring with chestnut and golden brown shades, and brown eyes are nicely accented by almost all neutral tones.

Comment

Thank you demi for the useful tips!
      I always tilt backward so that I can "feel" the socket of the eye for me so apply eyeshadow so that I won't add too much colour as Asians do not have deepset eyes like Caucasians

Comment

Demi, thanks for the links. They are really handy tips

Comment

thanks for the great tips!!

But I don't quite agree with these few:

The 6 Most Common Eye Makeup Mistakes
          Cat eyes: Black liquid liner that extends upward -- well beyond the outside corner of the eye -- is harsh and looks dated. Brown shadow liner drawn a tiny bit past the eye is softer.

A full on cat eye with thick liquid liner is dated and too dramatic for most of us. But a cat-eye toned down a little, using smudged kohls or just a finer liquid liner and not extended too far, can still look fabulous for a night out.

Kaleidoscope eyes: Bright, shocking mismatched colors don't belong on the eyelid (unless you are dressing as a clown for Halloween!). Choose muted colors in the same family and blend them well.
          I think quite a few FOTDs prove this wrong! 'Mismatched' colours from different colour families can look lovely together if blended correctly. Ultimately, it just depends on how daring you are and the look you want to have.

Unfinished liner: Lining only the outside half of the eye has a minimizing effect. You can choose to do only the top lid, but be sure to apply color all the way from the inside corner of the eye, continuing along the entire lash line to the outermost corner.
          I actually find that lining the outer half of my eyes only (or concentrating on the outer half, drawing a thicker line there than the inner half) opens up my eyes!

Shadow matching: It's almost never a good idea to match your eye shadow color to your eye color -- especially if you have blue or green eyes. Blue eyes look amazing with navy liner but disappear with blue shadow. In general, neutral colors that contrast with eye color work better.
          This is the one I disagree with most. I do my friend's makeup all the time and her eyes are a lovely speckled light blue, like the sky on a summer day. I find that using blues (be it metallic shiny blues like TinTin or dark blues like Hyacinth) make the colour in her eyes 'pop' and so much more obvious. Green also works.
          Last edited by xue; 20-05-2004, 11:00 PM.

Comment

I do agree with you on some of these mistakes too

edit: remove quote
            Last edited by duckiee; 21-05-2004, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks demigoddess..it was very useful.

Can someone tells me where is the crease? Thanks

Comment

Hi Peace...

HTH

1. light shade- sweep with medium firm, soft haired, eye make up brush, from your upper lids lash line to the brow bone area, just past your eye lid crease.
                2. medium shade- using top narrow edge of same brush, follow natural crease on upper lid, creating visual presence but blending well.
                3. dark shade-using smaller eye makeup brush, with firm bristles, sweep along upper lash line blending as far as the crease and if you choose, under lower lash line, as well

Comment

Thanks demigoddess! It does help.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Can I say that the crease is where you can feel your whole eyeball when you close your eyes? :roll:

Comment

Hi Peace....

I thought that was the lid...not your crease.

Dear Cotters...Correct me if i am wrong..i think the crease is the small area just above your lashline.

Comment

to me the lid and crease is the same thing but i might be wrong.

really useful picture though, thanks dear!

Comment

My take:

The crease is where your lids fold in a line (ie: usually, only "double eye lid" girls have creases)

The area where you "feel your whole eyeball" - I get that to mean the socket indent.

For some caucasians, their crease is in their socket indent - unlike most of us.

I am sure other people will tell you differently ...
                        Last edited by atypical; 26-05-2004, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Your eye shape

Learn about your eye shape here &here

Eyes makeup TIPS

Smoky Eyes
                          Last edited by huili; 26-05-2004, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Huili, Thanks for the tips

They were really helpful

and also to Stella....Thanks for the clarifications

Comment

whao! very helpful indeed. thanks!
                              better still if there are before and after looks

Comment

Working...
                              X