Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pressed powder- application tips and techniques?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressed powder- application tips and techniques?

I usually use only LP (loose powder) after LF (liquid foundation), but I'm thinking of switching to pressed powder instead instead for convenience (LP tends to be messier). I understand that pressed powder is thicker than LP (is it true?)- would my MU look overly thick if I were to use a PP after LF application? Anyone doing that with good results? Any tips to share? Would be it just as effective if I were to use a LP brush instead of sponge to apply my PP?

hey mango,

If you are considering just using a pressed powder, I like to recommend MAC Studiofix Pressed Powder. I've been using this forever ever since starting on makeup (my previous shade was C3 and now I'm using NC35) and this is best for me in terms of coverage (medium), non-comedogenic and best fit for my shade.

Haven't tried using my Studiofix PP with liquid foundation as I think makeup will look too heavy.

I think your best bet will be getting a sheer pressed powder over your normal liquid foundation if you think loose powder is messy.

Comment

I'm thinking of using a pressed powder with my liquid foundation instead of just pressed powder alone- which is why I'm worried that it'll end up looking too unnatural and thick.

What are the really sheer pressed powders? Thinking of MAC sheer select pressed powder. Anyone knows what is the coverage like?

Comment

I heard that some makeup artists actually use the MAC Blot powder as a pressed powder...so what they do is take a powder brush and sweep the powder over the skin...and its very sheer so it won't look too cakey....HTHs...

Comment

MAC's Select Sheer is really sheer & soft. So sheer you'd look like you don't have powder on. Too sheer for my own liking but might work great for you. You can either pat it on with the puff provided or brush it on for an ultra natural finish.

Blot Powder is also a good choice (sheerer than the Select) although I'd reccommend it for oilier skins. This can look chalky if overdone so be sure to use a brush if you're using it to set fdn.

I haven't actually tried using a pressed powder on myself. I might try it soon & see if there's alot of difference.
          Last edited by atypical; 14-07-2004, 02:37 AM.

Comment

I apply a loose powder with a puff (then brush off excess), and pressed powder with a brush. Pressed powder is definitely sheerer in this comparison. It's nothing like a powder foundation, don't worry.

Comment

I think it is fine to use a brush to apply the PP after LF. It least this is how Givenchy market their new Le Prisme semi-loose powder (it comes in a compact just like PP). I brush this powder over my LF and I thought it still looks natural enough. Not heavy or cakey

Comment

REviving this thread.....as what mango had posted..anymore feedbacks? hee thanks

Comment

Pressed powder is actually loose powder. Just that they packed it into compact for convenience. For myself, I just went for a personal makeup course recently and was taught to use a puff to apply my pressed powder. We can use brush as well but it might be a little messy.

Don't have to be afraid that will look too cakey. It'll depends on your foundation. If you put on lots of foundation, then you'll need more powder to set it, that's why the makeup look cakey. We actually need only a little bit of liquid foundation each time.

Comment

I usually see MAs using m/u sponge to apply PP. Why is that so? And in this case, would it be harmful to the skin due to the excessive tugging?

Comment

Well when working at the counters, there's no disposable powder puffs available. So the only hygienic tool best suited is the sponge wedge.

That's what I do and think the MAs you see using the sponge wedges think along the same line too. Actually can use cotton puffs but I hate it when the lint gets stuck on customer's face

I use a brush to apply pressed powder at home. I don't ever touch up, just use blotters.
                      Last edited by sharon; 12-11-2004, 12:11 PM.

Comment

i use whatever sponge/ puff thats provided..is it ok?

Comment

I usually use skin enhancer, concealer and loose powder. I use pressed powder for touch-ups during the day. The puff provided is good enough for me.

Comment

I have used alcohol and it has worked well. If you want to press a bunch of pigments anyway, you could get the Coastal Scents pigment pressing medium and use an itty bitty drop to repair the chip, etc.

Comment

I find that LP and PP offer similar coverage which is not much at all. I always apply LP or PP using a kabuki brush as this tends to give the most natural finish and doesn't cake though the day. I particularly find the Body Shop and Everyday Minerals short-handled kabukis very good and never shed with countless washing. For touchups using PP outside, Ecotools retractable bursh is good. I find that the sponges provided with the powders tend to cause smudging if applied with a heavy hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X