Makeup Artistry (as a hobby)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makeup Artistry (as a hobby)

Hmm..not sure if this thread belongs in Home and Hobby...but makeup artistry is certainly a passion/hobby I have!

I thought I'd start this thread for a place where any fellow makeup artists in Cozy can share tips and stories about all things related to their work...

erm...still not quite sure how to start off the thread so I'll share a little about what I've been doing first.

Well, I went to the School of Makeup, graduated a couple of years ago..worked as a counter girl for Virgin Vie once, and am doing freelance makeup now as I'm still studying.

I'm quite 'itchy' now, as I really want to grow as a makeup artist but as I can't fully immerse myself in the trade yet, its quite hard.

oo.. I've always wanted to be a makeup artist.. but i'm still studying so tt will have to wait.. Anyways, where did u learn it n how much does it cost? give me some details! I'm so interested.. haha.. How long's the whole course??

TIA!!!!

Comment

if you want to work in a bridal studio (vs counters) remember you have to do hair too! i find hair so much harder than m/u

am freelancing with MAC in airport and now in town

Comment

This topic will interest many like-minded! Can you guys share how you went about clinching your first job.. understand if it's 'trade secret'

Comment

Originally posted by sharon
          am freelancing with MAC in airport and now in town
          Hey sharon, freelancing sounds great to me! How did you get your job? Thru newspaper ads?

I am so interested to freelance too. Right now, I am a stay at home mom but I love the idea of doing abit of work as well. I love being a mom but I have other interests I need to fulfill and that include something to do with fashion/makeup. I just find it a very creative job plus its nice to be able to make someone look pretty.

I have zero makeup skills right now so should I sign up for a course? I would like to be a makeup artist rather than work behind a counter. There is a difference between the two. Cos when I read recruitment ads, I have seen many times that these two are separate positions. Can you tell me more, if you know something? Thank you!

Comment

Yvette..The whole course costs about $3k plus, and has a 6 month duration...The School of Makeup (which I went to) offers mostly bridal, fashion, photography makeup skills.

Naughtygirl...you should take up a course if you want to work as a freelance makeup artist. Of course, if you have many contacts it doesnt matter. Actually, I also realised that which school you attend doesn't really matter, as long as they provide a cert and teach you decent basics, and is not some half-past-six sort of school. Maybe in my opinion that is. That's because no one really asks for a cert anyway, unless you are working for a cosmetics company...and your skills will only be really honed after you work in the industry for some time and learn from yours and other artists mistakes...

I think what makes a great makeup artist is lots of experience, practice, and your own sense of style that sets you apart from the rest...

Sharon..I know! I didn't take hair and I'm quite lost without it. Singapore is not like America where they have an industry that distinguishes between hair and makeup people. Here, they need you to do both!!! Which is quite terrible for me...I need a hair stylist partner!! I actually like Dexter Ng's work a lot...

Glossie...my school actually secures some minor jobs for the students...and we all start from those...then slowly start building contacts and all. But I think the best way is to get a job at a cosmetics counter, where you really meets lots of people who can help you get into mags and such...

Comment

Thanks so much for sharing all these with us, Fuchsia! Whatever happened to Shu's makeup certification thingy? Or there wasn't a pro one to begin with? It was really expensive, though!

Comment

Re: Makeup Artists

Originally posted by fuchsia
                I'm quite 'itchy' now, as I really want to grow as a makeup artist but as I can't fully immerse myself in the trade yet, its quite hard.
                yeah babe, same as you.
                graduated from cosmoprof nearly a year ago but now am studying so cannot fully immerse into the trade as well!

(oh ya, my hairstyling is rotten too. )

Comment

Originally posted by naughtygirl
                  Hey sharon, freelancing sounds great to me! How did you get your job? Thru newspaper ads?
                  i got it through a friend who recommended me.

this current work in town was recommended to me by my boss, same brand, same co. just different management.

any other questions you have, just PM me.

Comment

Thank you Sharon for answering my question. When I have some skills and time at hand, will definitely have more questions to ask. Thank you for being so sweet!

Comment

hey hey i took mine makeup courses at inuovi for $400 its one to one with free makeup brush, makeup kit also a certificate. So nextti me can work in counter haha though i'm a guy.

Alsoi got my hairstyling cert from ite

Comment

Hi Fuchsia,

For me, i took up this Make-up and Hairdo Course with a bridal shop. There was a few of us in my batch. And also the following batch and before me. Not many of us could make it. I'm one of the lucky ones that managed to get a place as one of the in-house bridal make-up artist and there was another two girls after me.

For the bridal shop i'm with, they give us the opportunity for on job training with the seniors. After with they evaluated our performance and decide whether are we fit to take on jobs. :eh: Not and easy task. During the training, could feel the tense as everyone wants to do their best. Lots of comparisons made... Haizzz... Lucky now it's over :roll:

Precisely.. hairdo is more tough than makeup.. But that was at the beginning. Now kind of used to it.. so find it easier. But still need to brush up on the hairdo skill.. Thought of taking another course on hairdo.. A more comprehensive one..

Comment

Sharon . .did you had to present any make up course certification? I know BB needs to see one before they would accept any part-timers ... any further tips?

Comment

Originally posted by Toxic84
                            hey hey i took mine makeup courses at inuovi for $400 its one to one with free makeup brush, makeup kit also a certificate. So nextti me can work in counter haha though i'm a guy.

Alsoi got my hairstyling cert from ite
                            erm.... the inuovi makeup course is personal one, you will need to take up professional makeup courses from makeup schools eg cosmoprof or the makeup sch etc to apply for jobs that require cert...

unless of course, you practise a lot. on others.

Comment

Originally posted by kestrel
                              Sharon . .did you had to present any make up course certification? I know BB needs to see one before they would accept any part-timers ... any further tips?
                              i was asked to give them a photocopy of the original diploma um no tips but GOOD LUCK!

Comment

Working...
                              X