Manicure maintenance/Nail Care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manicure maintenance/Nail Care

My nails are getting more and more brittle nowadays.

I just discovered one nail has split into half in underneath the surface. The split has already went into middle of the finger nail pad. Now I have to put a handiplaster in case the whole surface of the nail split open.

I only know Clarins' Hand and Nail Treatment and it was only soso.

Can any of the cotters recommend better products for my brittle nails??

That's sounds bad... and painful.

First, make sure nail is short... so it will be less likely to split further...

Then load on almond oil (spike with essential oils for indulgence if u like) every night... or when u remember during the day. Keep hands dry... water will dry out nails faster... and mositurise immediately after u wash your hands. Wear gloves when u wash dishes...

Good excuse to avoid housework for a while.

Comment

i had that nail splitting drama with all my toe nails 6mths back & company doc said it was some fungal infection that brought trauma to the nail bed! everytime i wear a pair of shoes u see the crack lines on edges of the nail & it pells in layers. so i went on oral medication & some cream. now it's all good! nailtek is good to strengthen nails but i m way too lazy to use them after i was done with one bottle!

Comment

Maybe checkout with a doc. as what farah did.
        Sometimes diet could be partly the reason. Maybe vaseline may help to lock the moisture?

And yah, no need to do housework for the moment!

Comment

its not painful as it has not pull out from the meaty part.

Just that you can see in between the thickness of the nail, there is a split.

Cannot clip the nails any further...sigh...

I called my manicurist and ask her what to do. She said can only try to put on some protection nail polish/tonic to stimulate growth so that the nail can grow out. For new stronger nail, may have to use some kind of cuticle oil to massage..the oil costs SGD 26 or so....

SIGH!!!!!!

Comment

fornight, go see a doc & stop attacking your nails & causing it more trauma with nail polish! mine was cracking & peeling in layers but i had no pain too if that helps!

Comment

Think the manicurist is more interested in earning your money than healing your problem lor. Quick see one doc.

Comment

Originally posted by latte
                Think the manicurist is more interested in earning your money than healing your problem lor. Quick see one doc.
                Definitely...go see a doc! Don't drag any longer.

Comment

yup..for all you know it may be/lead to some kinda infection or something...

I'll take the kiasee (scared to die) approach, anytime!

Comment

must see doctor??

Dun know leh...sound a bit strange. I don't think there is infection, it looks like because nail too dry and brittle so it split between its thickness.

I scared Doctor laugh at me for being so kiasee & vain that must see him for such thing.

Comment

I had the same problem of brittle nails. Sometimes i can peel off the edge of the top layer of my nails. It was worsen by naiilpolishes, even though i use a base coat. My toe nails are usually due to wearing shoes. I lost a nail from the last toe (smallest), fortunately, it grew back Now my other little toe nail has cracked and about a quarter gone. Luckily toe nails are not as painful as finger nails.

Hand creams help a little but not much for me. I think bluebubble mentioned using J&J Baby oil before on the nails and cuticles, I'm going to give it a shot.

Good luck to our nails

Comment

hey fornight, so how? did u see doc yet? is it getting better?

Comment

I am using one of those essential oils (with Vit E) on my curticles every night. My mum let me have them.

I went to see the manicurist and she said there is nothing to be done as it is already split. What I can do now is to take good care of the rest of the nails, wait till the split grow out and then cut them away.

I did not see the doctor for it. Find it strange to see him for that as there is no pain nor is the nails falling apart. Just that I can see a white split in between the thickness of the nail.

I bring along a small tube of hand lotion so that I can use it every now and then to moisturize the curticles and nails.

Comment

Toenails care

I have been neglecting my toenails lately and only paint them to look decent.
                            However, last night when i took off the colour, i was so disgusted with the look of them that i snipped them off one by one *gee, i feel evil*
                            now my toenails looked bare and short, tried putting on clear polish on them but it doesnt look right.
                            What should i do?

My leggies are dry btw and yes guess the case for my toenails as well...

Thanks gals!

Comment

Re: Toenails care

Originally posted by natnatviv
                              I have been neglecting my toenails lately and only paint them to look decent.
                              However, last night when i took off the colour, i was so disgusted with the look of them that i snipped them off one by one *gee, i feel evil*
                              now my toenails looked bare and short, tried putting on clear polish on them but it doesnt look right.
                              What should i do?

My leggies are dry btw and yes guess the case for my toenails as well...

Thanks gals!
                              is it yellowish? with white patches?

try using a good base coat before painting the colours. It really help loads.. I used to have yellowish and white patches on the nails too, coz i always paint my nails... and really always, never giving the nails time to rest. try nail tek, opi.

i supposed cuticle cream helps too... i think burt's bee has one. cheap.

taking more calcium also helps in preventing those white patches.

if you have ridges on the toe nail -- uneven, use a ridge filler to give a smoother finish. I tried this, but so far, i havent found a HG for this.

Comment

Working...
                              X