Foot/Nail Fungus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foot/Nail Fungus

Anyone got fungus after going for a mani/pedi?

I got it on my toe nails (seems very dry and looks like it's peeling a little)

So far, don't have. But I know some people bring their own kit as a precaution.

Comment

Re: Fungus

Originally posted by ashlee
      Anyone got fungus after going for a mani/pedi?
      Me Went for my 1st pedi and all my toe nails turned white and brittle. I almost fainted when I saw them Took me months to grow them out.

Comment

Oh dear should be tell which mani/pedi we went to so we wouldnl't get it again??

Comment

my medicurist told me fungus are caused by water and dirt. For those that wears open toe shoes alot or didn't dry their toes properly after shower or always soak in water, they will get the problem.

There are fungus solution that you need to apply evry morning and night after shower, cost around $30. But the smell abit funny.

Comment

Originally posted by ashlee
            Oh dear should be tell which mani/pedi we went to so we wouldnl't get it again??
            It's at Adelphi at Coleman Street. Just a few doors from the side entrance

Comment

I've got fungus on my fingernail. It's been for months and it look like orange peel skin. The weird thing about my nail is that even after it has grown out..it's still the same. Had went to a doc and she gave me an antifungal spray been spraying it for few weeks but see no improvement

Comment

I got it awhile back. Half of my thumb nail turns opaque white and became loose. Went to the pharmacy and showed my finger to the pharmist and he recommends me a liquid application. Forgot the name but he did mention that it takes an average of 3-6 months for it to heal completely.

The pharmist did mentioned that fungus growth is mostly associated with constant contact with water.

Be diligent in using the medication and trim your nails as it grows out. And the fungus would go away in a few months' time.

Comment

Had fungal infection in my middle toenail on my right foot for about 2 weeks before seeking medical treatment. It appears yellow under the toenail and it looks like this:

Doctor advises me to avoid wearing socks, eating crabs, prawns, beef, mutton and air the feet, avoid wearing high heels which stress your nails. Was given 15 tabs of Griseofulvin. On my part, I had cancelled my pedicure session to avoid further damage to the toenail. In addition, i trim that toenail so that it can recover soon. Hopefully, it does.

Comment

can anyone explain what is fungus? is it same with ingrown nail?

Comment

went for my pedi session yesterday and bought another type of fungus solution coz the previous one out of stock. Can anyone advise pricing coz got a feeling they are trying to push for more expensive product. Any other places to buy anti fungus solution besides medicure places? I paid $30 for the 1st bottle which last me 3 months and now this one cost $40.

Comment

Mine is anti fungal spray bought from GP costs around $25

Comment

nails

same problem, but the restorative treatment saved my nails from further damage. dry brittles nails are returned to their former glory after a week of use. SWEAT!

Comment

Fungus nails is a unsightly condition which can be difficult to treat. Many patients become very conscious about a fungus nail condition and refuse to wear sandals and have their feet seen in public. It is caused by microscopic organisms called Dermatophytes. Dermatophytes grow in the nail bed, beneath the nail and live off keratin, the protein in the nail. The condition usually begins towards the far end of the nail and may start with patches of white or yellow discoloration. If the condition is left untreated, it will proceed to the base of the nail. It will attack the nail root (matrix) and cause the nail to grow very thick and deformed. The big toe is usually the first nail to be affected with the condition spreading to adjacent nails. In rare cases this condition can also affect the skin surrounding the nails.

APPEARANCE OF FUNGUS NAILS

At an early stage, the nail may have white or yellow patches of discoloration. There may also be yellow horizontal streaks in the nail. At a later stage, the nail will grow thick, deformed, discoloured and have a foul odour (musty smell). It may also split and start to crumble.

Above is a picture of a fungal nail infection in its later stage.

SYMPTOMS OF FUNGUS NAILS

The nail may become brittle and split in to several pieces. The actual condition is not painful. However, if the nail becomes thick and deformed it may grow into the skin at an angle and become an ingrowing toe nail. In severe cases, inflammation may arise from an ingrowing toe nail which may result in a secondary infection. It will affect a patients day to day activities as the pressure from the nails against the shoes causes discomfort.
                            If the condition is left untreated for along period of time, the nail will become very brittle and the patient may experience episodes of total removal of the nail followed by re-growth.

CAUSES OF FUNGUS NAILS

There are many types of fungus present in our environment. Most are harmless, however, a group of fungi called dermatophytes can affect the feet. Dermatophytes thrive on warm, moist conditions. Sweaty shoes and moist socks can be a contributing factor. Most people may have the fungus present on their feet. However, a nail fungus infection may be caused due to the fungus invading the skin. This can be due to injury to the nail, inflammation from a ingrowing toe nail or inappropriate nail cutting. Individuals with a lower immunity due to Diabetes, H.I.V and patients with poor circulation.

More articles on fungus nails:
                            http://www.zfootdoc.com/newpage29.htm
                            http://www.footguru.com/FG-FF/FG-FF-fungus_nails.htm
                            http://www.leepodiatry.com/fungus_nails.htm

Comment

so scary

Comment

Working...
                              X