Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nail Problems and Injuries

Check Your Symptoms

If you answer yes to any of the following questions, it's about how soon to see a health professional.
    Review health risks that may increase the seriousness of your symptoms.

If you have any of the following symptoms, evaluate those symptoms first.

A cut on your finger or toe: Go to the topic Cuts.
    A scrape on your finger or toe: Go to the topic Scrapes.

Yes Did you injure your nail?

Yes Has your nail torn or separatedfrom the nail bed?

Yes Do you have an ingrown nail?

Yes Do you have signs of a skin infection around or under your nail?

Yes Do you suspect a fungal nail infection?

Yes Do you have unexplained color changes to your nails?

Yes Have you noticed changes in the shape or texture of your nails?

Yes Do you have a growth on, under, or next to a nail?

Yes Do you need a tetanus shot?

Other Symptoms to Watch For
    Do you have any of the following symptoms?

Injury to a finger: Go to the topic Finger, Hand, and Wrist Injuries.
    Injury to a toe: Go to the topic Toe, Foot, and Ankle Injuries.

Edited and Extracted from WebMD
    Last edited by dolphin; 28-01-2005, 08:56 AM.

Hi All,
    My fingers & toes seem dry, always have hard skins near the corner of fingers/toes. I try to resist myself from biting on them, sometimes I will just clip it off. At times when I pull too much, it will bleed. Therefore, I need advise on how I can keep my fingers/toes has no hard skin and be moisted ?
    Thanks so much !

Comment

Originally posted by charmvalley View Post
      Hi All,
      My fingers & toes seem dry, always have hard skins near the corner of fingers/toes. I try to resist myself from biting on them, sometimes I will just clip it off. At times when I pull too much, it will bleed. Therefore, I need advise on how I can keep my fingers/toes has no hard skin and be moisted ?
      Thanks so much !

hello,
      i also have this problem if my skin's too dry.
      what i will do is before going to bed, i would and moisturise my hands and feet using a moisturiser. it works best for me if it is the kind that is not too watery. hope it helps!

Comment

i have a very very huge problem..

i think my case would be Ridging.. like, all 10 finger nails of mine suddenly has this sunken line in the middle of each nail.. as though it'll break if i push down the tip of my finger nails..

i definitely can't be aging because im only 21.. can i? sigh..

the scary thing is, this ridging just suddenly appeared.. maybe i got some terminal illness T_T

anyone who knows, please advice/help

TIA

Comment

hmmm, i wonder if anyone has the same problem as me.

my nails seem to br brittle, like there are always "split ends" kind of thing. becomes so irritating. i heard that it might be due to the nail polishes, removers or also lacking of certain vitamins/minerals.

aye.

does nail harders work?

Comment

Originally posted by charmvalley View Post
            Hi All,
            Thanks so much !
            Solution to your problem:

- buy a nail file/ emery board. about 150 grit or 180 grit.
            - FILE the skin that are peeling around your finger nails. DO NOT trim those skin. will only encourage MORE dry skin growth (and don't bite/ tear them, cos will enzyme from saliva will damage your tissue plus, tearing will encourage JAGGED skin growth

you hve to file the skin until smooth. do 2-3 times a week

but after filing, wash off the flaked of skin cells, then apply cuticle oil around the sides of the nail, followed by moisturiser over your hands

also if possible, wear gloves to sleep

and don't excessively dry/ wet your hands. (not sure if you are in contact with chemicals, sometimes, will cause skin to flake also)

Comment

Originally posted by rachel87 View Post

i think my case would be Ridging.. like, all 10 finger nails of mine suddenly has this sunken line in the middle of each nail.. as though it'll break if i push down the tip of my finger nails..

the scary thing is, this ridging just suddenly appeared.. maybe i got some terminal illness T_T

TIA
              ridges can be caused by genetics. doesn't necessary mean born with it, can sometimes appear out of nowhere. if you are concerned, you can go for a check up. but i don't think any health problems will show up.

Comment

Originally posted by shootingstar18 View Post

my nails seem to br brittle, like there are always "split ends" kind of thing. becomes so irritating. i heard that it might be due to the nail polishes, removers or also lacking of certain vitamins/minerals.

aye.

does nail harders work?
                yours is the nail plates splitting. can be caused by these factors:
                1) improper filing. if u go manicure, ask the manicurist use a 180 grit file and file in ONE direction only. filing in both directions will cause nail to have small splits
                2) repeated wetting/ drying of hands
                3) hands in contact with chemicals.

to solve the problem, apply nail strengthener. or nail polish. cos they provide a seal against water and can be a barrier against mild chemical reactants.

Comment

Originally posted by rachel87 View Post

TIA
                  If its bothering u so much, u can try the OPI ridge filler. It acts as a base coat or u can just apply it alone. It really fill up the ridges to make it a flat smooth surface.

Comment

Originally posted by shootingstar18 View Post

aye.

does nail harders work?
                    OPI nail strengthener works quite well. I've the same condition as u for i've dry skin.
                    I use it as a base coat or just itself and i'm loving it.

Comment

OPI nail polish is really good. I'm trying to let my nails rest for a period of time, because its getting abit yellowish now. I guess its because i always paint my nails with colours and it can hardly breathe, causing it to turn colour now.

Comment

Originally posted by Shandy Ho View Post
                        OPI nail polish is really good. I'm trying to let my nails rest for a period of time, because its getting abit yellowish now. I guess its because i always paint my nails with colours and it can hardly breathe, causing it to turn colour now.
                        Nails do not need oxygen, they are like hair. They need moisture though (again, like hair), otherwise they will become brittle.

yellowing nails can be due to your base coat's quality (or worse, a lack of base coat). Can try Poshe's base coat/ ridge filler. better than OPI

Comment

my fingernails n toenails always break

Comment

ooh. that explains the slightly black nail i have on the last toenail. but strangely, both of my nails has it and its the same as my mum's. could that be generic?

Comment

Originally posted by dollishchic View Post
                              ooh. that explains the slightly black nail i have on the last toenail. but strangely, both of my nails has it and its the same as my mum's. could that be generic?
                              possibly. if that's the case, not much you can do about it...cos it's more like a birth mark.

Comment

Working...
                              X