Skincare advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skincare advice

My dermatologist recently started me on Retin A Micro and Duac Gel because i have oily acne prone skin.Its winter now and my skin has been getting so dry it almost feels like it's going to bleed
    To get anappointment with my derm it takes months plus he's reaaaally old like 80 something and stubborn so he doesn't listen to me (looking for a new derm)
    Eventho my skin has gotten so dry it still breaks out and oil free
    moisturizers are not cutting it for me anymore.
    So if you gals could recommend a moisturizer for this as well as a face wash
    (i use komenuka bijin but its too drying now) i would be so thankful.

i would prefer it to be non medicated because im already using topical meds and fragrance free (or little fragrance) if possible and non comedogenic.

Re: heeeeeeeelp

Originally posted by umeboshi
    To get anappointment with my derm it takes months plus he's reaaaally old like 80 something and stubborn so he doesn't listen to me (looking for a new derm)
    You really ought to see another derm to save your skin. What if we suggest something and they don't go well with your current doses of topical meds and stuff? Have you stopped the Retin-A and Duac Gel regimen?

Comment

i did.it was really hurting my skin. im no tgoing back to same derm he always
      gives me the wrong treatments. Right nowi just wantsomething to heal the skin ,nonmedicated because i dont want to take the risk.also i get zits so noncomedogenic that's all.

Comment

gives me the wrong treatments. Right nowi just wantsomething to heal the skin ,nonmedicated because i dont want to take the risk.also i get zits so noncomedogenic that's all.
        Dear gurl,

From the way you describe your pain, I feel pain for you too. :wave: Take care.

I suggest you use a very gentle cream cleanser instead of gel cleanser (if you're using one now) as the latter is normally for oily skin. How about the brand 'Simple'? Skip toner with alcohol, and apply moisturizers similar to Clinique's moisture surge.

Comment

deleted...
          Last edited by j3nnyr; 07-01-2008, 07:46 AM.

Comment

From your location, I see you are resided in NYC? If you are, Eucerin should be within your reach I believe? Try their cleanser and moisturiser. This is a range that is very suited for dry and very sensitive skin.

Comment

If you ask me, I'd say ditch everything and let your skin heal w/o introducing more *foreign* products on it. Even natural or botanical and organic skincare stuff might hurt, since your skin's highly sensitive. Perhaps you need to do a lot of research on the net. Google for info dedicated to handling sensitive skins, those which list ingredients that're non-comedogenic.

Comment

CETAPHIL!!!Gentle and good for winter! Not drying at all!

I got the below info from Instyle's feature on Winter skincare!

-Use lukewarm water and while skin is still damp, apply moisturiser(with hyaluronic acid to bind water to the skin)

-recommended ones are MD Formulations Advanced Hydrating Complex Creme, which is oil free and acne-prone ppl can use that too. If you're using retinoids(vitamin A derivatives such as retinol or prescriptive Renova) switch from gels to less drying creams and cut use to 2 to 3 times a week. If skin is still dry, try a kinetin based product instead. Kinetin works like retinol but doesnt irritate skin or cause photosensitivity. Even winter sun can be damaging, so look for a product with an SPF of at least 15, like Almay's Age Deceleration Daily Lotion with spf15.

HTH!

Comment

I second Cetaphil!

Comment

If you favour the idea of a powder cleanser, try Fancl as it's very very gentle. But instead of something you have to rub into your skin which is probably irritating and too exfoliating in conjunction with Retin-A, maybe try a gentle foaming cleanser like Kanebo Creamy Soap or even a cleansing oil like DHC.

A lot of people have had good luck using La Mer with Retin-A. I used CleotinT when I used Differin, and it wasn't moisturizing nearly enough. You might also want to try adding a serum or face oil to your routine for day and night. Also, maybe you should try using the Retin-A every other day till your skin gets used to it? Whenever I use a retinol I can't apply it every day at first, as even my pillowcase will chafe! :sotong:
                    Last edited by KissMet; 10-11-2003, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Skin problem ?

hey ladies,

my sister's skin has been acting up lately. it has very little skin coloured bumps covering the cheek areas, such that when you run your hand over them, it feels rough. also, she experiences some peeling occasionally. she cleanses but does not moisturise (despite my nagging ) .

she used to use my cleanser -- Clarins, which works great for me -- and now i switched her to Cetaphil.

any cotters had this problem before, and how to help her?

Comment

i used cetaphil and had the same problem
                        cetaphil is not suitable for everyone
                        i find my skin peeling and little bumps appear just after 2 weeks of usage
                        but well, it might not be that

i prob said stop the cetaphil and switch to a cream cleanser...
                        and use a moisturiser!
                        HTH!

Comment

Help!

sorry pple i'm sort of new to this forum. think this is a really cool forum! got great exchanges over here! have been spending like the past 3 hrs reading over some of the past threads.. oh my god! there's like so so so many man.. haha. anyway i need help with my pimple scars n large pores! anyone has any recommendations for any products or doctors? i went to NSC before le but they just gave me antibiotics to control my pimples but now they are coming back again but dunno it's cos of the antibiotics or the marine mud i just started using.

anyway this is my present regime for now:

neutrogena oil free acne cleanser
                          neutrogena clear pore treatment
                          BP from doc
                          nuskin marine mud
                          nuskin clay pak
                          nuskin facelift
                          nuskin celltrex
                          hazelink snow
                          cteaphil moisturizer

oh ya i need recommendations for sunblock too! read parts of the threads on sunblocks and sunscreens.. it's too long for me to finish! haha. heard that sunkiller is good?

so pple pls help! really wanna clear my scars and large pores before sch reopen!
                          Last edited by babyflite; 28-11-2003, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Re: Help!

Hi, Qian. I understand ur condition, I had same problem too since last September. I visited NSC in last Dec, but not much improvement after 4 months visiting. I had stopped taken any antibiotic and the cream/gel prescribed by the doctor.

Do u check on the skincare products that u use? Do they cause any problem to u? If yes, u should look for suitable cleanser & Toner. By the way, what is ur skin type?

Mine is combination to oily & acne prone. Luckily, my skin is improved after changing my skincare regime. Try to keep in as simple as u can. My regime is as below:

Cleanser -> Toner -> Moisturizer-> Pimple cream -> Sunscreen (daytime)

I am still waiting for a big bump in my left cheek to subside and other areas are clear now . Just try not to squeeze if u can control urself. I got this bump after squeezing. Now, I just apply pimple cream day and night to wait for the subsiding. It is still a small bump now.... I think I have to wait for another week to let it subside totally.
                            Last edited by Glossie; 28-01-2004, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Hi dear, so sorry to hear you having trouble with your skin. I guess most of us have been through this before.

I've always had problems with underground acne, huge pores and whiteheads.

All I can say is I do not scrub when I have "active" acne ie. inflamed ones. Apparently this makes acne worse

As for pores, I think the only way is to keep it as clean as possible so they look smaller or less noticeable.

Seems like you have lots of good products on hand so use them as directed. Drink more water and sleeping more might help

Also I find that sleeping in air-conditioned rooms lessens the formation of black and whiteheads!

Sunscreen? I'm not too sure but there's a great thread on it, slowly browse through it. Just buy oil-free ones that won't add to your skin woes! Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X