Don't waste money buying expensive cleansers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't waste money buying expensive cleansers

can't remember where I read this bit of news..either Her World, Cleo or the papers since these are the only stuff that I've read recently.

Someone asked about the cleansers and this derm replied that cleansers, true to their names, are just cleansers. They just remove the dirt etc from your face. Cleansers do not go beyond this basic function. So cleaners that are said to control oil, improve dryness, reduce level of melanin, are all bullshit(this is of course my own word, he put it in a nicer way)

I think I read that too, so I guess it should be from Her World. I do agree though, I have simplified my skincare routine recently and am now using a drugstore cleanser with good results.

Comment

i agree....if you think logically,nutrients from toners and moisturizers can absorb into our skin and do justice because we leave these products on.cleansers however remain on the skin for only a few seconds and are then rinsed off.moisturing/whitening/etc agents don't really have time to penetrate the skin efectively.
      so why spend all that money on a really expensive cleanser that's packed with 'good stuff' that just goes down the drain?

Comment

Well true enough that cleansers are washed away but I think it's still important to find one that suits your skin. Not all skin can take any type of cleanser. As long as you find one that isn't too harsh on your skin, cleans well and doesn't cause any allergic reaction then good

Some expensive cleansers I've tried have actually caused more damage by drying by skin out making it look dull and dehydrated.

I'm sticking to my Biotherm clarifying cleanser for now although it is a tad expensive compared to drugstore brands.

Comment

All cleansers clean, but they're definitely not all the same. Harsher cleansers dries out the skin whereas really good ones cleanses well and yet is gentle enough not to strip the skin.

A little OT here, but for cleansers, I've never come accross a drugstore one that is good enough or suits my skin. They all break me out / dry my skin / feel funny. Well, diff skin types can take diff stuff, you're lucky if your skin can take just any cleanser.
          Last edited by mango; 09-01-2004, 08:41 AM.

Comment

To me, most drugstore cleansers are still uncomparable to expensive effective ones. My skin can suit most types of cheap to expensive cleansers but I still do find a difference when i use drugstore brand eg. like "Simple" compared to Biotherm Biosource Cleanser. Biotherm makes me feel good, skin look less oily yet not dehydrated. Whereas the cheaper ones seems to dry out the skin ...hmmm..maybe physlogical (dunnoe how to spell) effect overall, skin is in better condition when using Biotherm ones as compared to drugstore brand.

Comment

Prob I somewhat disagree with that. Drugstore brands like J&J, Loreal had successfully made my skin breakout so many upteen times whereas my current DRx cleanser (thou not very ex) & cosmo decorte does not *touch wood*

I guess different ppl have diff skin condition. Eg. Foundation, some ppl suit a certain brand but others find it turn oily in midday??

Comment

I think teenager skin can use any cleanser and I agree to others that expensive cleanser less likely causing allegy and won't dehydrate your skin. Like my HG Cosme Decorte AQ Gentle Cleansing Foam. It's super expensive but I found it effectively cleanse all the dirts yet keeping my skin supple. Yes supple, not dehydated nor normal like other cleanser. Because it's gentle yet just wash away what needs to be washed, nothing more.

Comment

How to define "expensive cleanser"? For me, SKII cleanser is in the reasonable price (S$68 for about 2.5 months usage). I had tried many brands, e.g. Pola, L'oreal, Neutrogena, Estee Lauder, Fancl. Price range is about S$10+ to S$50+. SKII is the most expensive among these, however, I am happy with that. It can cleanse my face well and won't dry out my face. I am happy to find a cleanser to suit my skin well. It is gentle than other drugstore cleansers that i tried before. Never break me out.

Comment

I was thinking along the lines of ingredients and their composition. Some ingredients can cause allergies/breakouts/discomfort. Some might be due to the higher concentration of certain ingredients. Doesn't matter if they are highend or drugstore. If your skin can take drugstore brands, good for you

Different skin, different tolerance.

Comment

i think it depends on IF the cleanser suits your skin! i've tried both cheap ends and high ends.

Until recently, i was convinced the high end cleansers are better, never mind what the derm says - results on my face is what counts, not some scientific study! i LIKE my high end cleansers - they smell good too.

however, after dragging my feet and with much reluctance, i tried out cetaphil for oily skin. surprise! this workes beautiful.. i still dont understand why an "oily skin cleanser" doesnt strip my skin dry compared to milk cleansers.

i even emailed my new derm 3 times asking, are you SURE? can i not use darphin/phytomer/la pairie or even avene? she insisted and im happy that she did. my skin has never been so smooth.. okie.. maybe it was this smooth 20 years ago.

so, as all skin products go YMMV! im super duper happy that i found an excellent cheap product ( crossing my fingers that the results will last ) but if only high end works for your skin, go for it!

Comment

I agree with snowstar. I think what the derm meant was as long as the cleanser suits your face ie don't dry you out, don't cause you to breakout etc, it's good enough. The additional benefits like whitening of skin etc probably are non-existent.

Comment

i think he's partly right because cleansers only stay on your face for a very short while, too short for any whitenign effect or what more.... cos it all gets washed away fast. But i do agree that his advice is not totally foolproof because my skin seems to react poorly to both low end and high end... it is only when i manage to find the BEST SUITABLE cleanser for my skin (regardless of its price or brand) that my skin starts to react better and breakout less...perhaps my skin is less 'reactive' to whatever ingredients that constitute the cleanser?

I tried Cetaphil but it did nothing for me... and Ive tried Clarins and all, but I still think ingredients are crucial cos some skins do not react well to the sulphate that is on top of the list of almost all low end cleansers... then again, my sister doesnt even need to wash her face at all and she has clear and radiant and rosy cheeks.....so need i say more??

Comment

Originally posted by raebelasian
                            I was thinking along the lines of ingredients and their composition. Some ingredients can cause allergies/breakouts/discomfort. Some might be due to the higher concentration of certain ingredients. Doesn't matter if they are highend or drugstore. If your skin can take drugstore brands, good for you

Different skin, different tolerance.
                            I'm with Rachel. I don't think cleansers should be split between cheap and expensive ones. Rather, I believe it's the ingredients that make up whether it suits each face.

So yah, in a way, I agree with the article that says that drugstore cleansers may be as good as expensive ones. Like, not all expensive cleansers are going to be good for your skin too. The ingredients play a most important part.

Lastly, cleansers however, should also be classified between two different kinds - lathering and non-lathering. Usually lathering cleansers contain oils and emulsifiers which may cause the skin to be irritated.

Comment

quoted from Elle (US edition, Feb'04) page 138 - (Poppy King, color designer for Prescriptives)

What item has changed your life ?
                              Decent facial cleanser. I always bought expensive skin-care treatments but bargain face wash. I used to have rough patches that my pricey moisturizers couldn't get rid of, and it was because I was using cheap cleanser. If you're going to put your money anywhere in your skincare routine, it's so important to get a face wash that doesn't strip your skin.

Comment

Working...
                              X