Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do-it-yourself DIY homemade Facial

Hello!
    I hope you are all well! I was wondering if any ladies out there like to make their own facial treatments at home? I know there are lots of recipes on the internet for homemade beauty masks. I thought that we could share our "tried and true" recipes, that we can try out at home... some might not work for everyone, if they have allergies or sensitive skin, but thought it would make interesting reading!

I sometimes like to put a honey mask on my lips. I used to try different things, but never really stuck to them to really see if they were helping. But I am really obsessed with trying to use some sort of "milk" treatment on my face. I saw that some grandmothers advised it... anyone try it and see a difference? I always have leftover milk in the fridge! Plus, the legendary Cleopatra is said to have taken milk baths, as part of her beauty regimen. Not sure if this is all just myth, but Cleopatra is one of my favorite historical figures, so I am inspired! ;-) I admit I took one "milk" bath... used a bunch of dried milk packets into the bath water... it was very nice, but never got a chance to keep trying!

p.s. warning regarding honey (since I posted that I use honey): if you have infants, be sure not to let baby get to the honey... I believe all children under age 2 are supposed to stay away from it, b/c their immune system is not ready to handle it.
    Last edited by koneko; 05-12-2003, 03:45 AM.

All personally tried.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Whitening Mask DIY: (with natural flavor )

Thick natural yogurt, original flavor, not those with fruits pieces in it. Yogurt contain AHA (or BHA, don't remember), could help in whitening.

Apply thick yogurt (fresh from fridge) onto face with fingers. Leave it on for abt 5-10 minutes. Meanwhile, please lie on bed, coz u dun wan to drip yogurt all over the place. Then wash off with water. No need to wash off with cleanser. You could try it on your nose first. Not recommended for dry skin. Please dun use it too offen, maybe once every 1 or 2 weeks.

Brand of yogurt i use for this mask is Paul's. here's the url:
    http://www.pauls.com.au/files/yoghurtnat.htm

*This really works, but i stop doing it for months. Reason because i just had a skin breaout recently (not becoz of this mask ), so strictly sticking to my daily skin routine.

Dry Hands/Feet:

Before going to bed, apply alot of VASELINE? 100% PURE PETROLEUM JELLY on your hands/feet, doesn't need to smooth it up for absorption. Put on gloves (for feet, wear socks) and leave it on overnite. Just wash it off with mild bathing soap the next day. Do this for a few times to see results.

You could replace vaseline with your daily handcream, but you need to apply ALOT, so if your handcream is very expensive, replace with bodycream/lotion, or some cheaper alternatives.

*Rave this!! when i came back from korea last year, almost all my ten fingers cuticles were peeling, some even bleeding. no handcream could help. they recovered after a few sessions of this!!

Aspirin Mask, to calm pimples:

Use the aspirin mask about twice a week to keep our skin soft and smooth. This is an excellent exfoliator and will help you keep the flakies at bay as well as start diminishing any old acne scars.

Here's how to prepare the mask:
    Use 5-6 aspirin and add a few drops of water. Let the water absorb into the aspirin and add a drop or two more (if needed) to make the aspirin a crumbly paste. Apply this to clean dry skin. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes until you see the mask flaking, then gently rinse away. You can rub it in a bit if you want, depending on if you can tolerate the scrubbing.

*I had only tried this once so far, few weeks back. I don't see significant result, will try it again next week. There seems to be raves in MUA!

Last edited by candeecake; 05-12-2003, 03:28 PM.

Comment

I have not tried this personally, but saw it in a show.

Caffeine Body Scrub

Put the coffee remains (from brewing) into your shower gel, use it as scrub.

But the lady in the show didn't mention how long we could keep the coffee remains in the shower gel. coz from my understanding this remains could/might produce acids after brewing. Like tea leaves, if you leave the tea leaves in water for too long, they will produce acid which might be harmful to our body in long term run. This is also the reason why tea (especially green tea) tastes sour in the second brew. This also the reason why i haven't tried this *scrub*.

Maybe those who have tried, could comment on this Really tempted to try it out, coz the lady in the show has beautiful fair skin!!

Get rid of your puffy eyes in 5 mins!

Put 2 tablespoons into fridge, then take them out and press lightly on your puffy eyes for a while. Just make sure the spoons are cool, not frozen!! if not you will risk cutting your eyes!

Last edited by candeecake; 27-02-2004, 02:58 AM.

Comment

This is a simple homemade mask i've tried. Really smooth and hydrated skin after that!

Banana Oatmeal Honey Mask

Ingredients

1/2 Banana
        1/4 Cup Oatmeal cooked with milk
        1 Tablespoon of Honey
        1 Egg

Steps

Mix all ingredients up, chill for a while (easier application).
        Apply on face, leave in for 15-20 mins.
        Wash up!
        Last edited by kiana; 05-12-2003, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kiana
          This is a simple homemade mask i've tried. Really smooth and hydrated skin after that!

Banana Oatmeal Honey Mask

Ingredients

1/2 Banana
          1/4 Cup Oatmeal cooked with milk
          1 Tablespoon of Honey

Steps

Mix all ingredients up, chill for a while (easier application).
          Apply on face, leave in for 15-20 mins.
          Wash up!
          hee, looks nice enough to be eaten

Comment

Originally posted by natnatviv
            hee, looks nice enough to be eaten
            Haha. Your post made me remember that i've missed out an ingredient! An Egg! Don't think it will be nice anymore with an additional raw egg in the mix!

Comment

Originally posted by kiana
              Haha. Your post made me remember that i've missed out an ingredient! An Egg! Don't think it will be nice anymore with an additional raw egg in the mix!

ewww raw egg?
              i guess i give it a miss then

Comment

Originally posted by natnatviv
                ewww raw egg?
                i guess i give it a miss then
                Hee. But thanks for reminding!

Comment

Papaya Scrub

Ingredients:
                  Some papaya
                  Soft brown sugar

1. smash papaya till it's pastey
                  2. add in brown sugar. More or less is totally up to the individual
                  3. mix and your scrub is ready!

I leave this on my face for 5 mins before scrubbing because the enzymes in the papaya fruit can soften your dead skin so it'll be easier to scrub off later.

I love this smell of this!! My skin feels smooth, polished and cleaner after this.

I agree with the aspirin mask! My skin never felt so clear and cleansed before. Talk about super cheap skin care! 24 tablets cost only $2.80 from Guardian.

Comment

Egg & Honey Mask

what you need:
                    1 egg
                    2 teaspoon of honey

Beat the egg and honey together. Use a brush to wash the mixture on your face, you may also use it for your neck as well.
                    Afterwhich, leave it on your face till you feel tightness, as the mixture dries up. That will be approx. 10-15mins. Wash it off with clear water. You'll feel a smooth streak on your face, leaving your face smooth and glowy.

Comment

Enquiry on Aspirin Masks

This is such a good thread!

A good and economical DIY for us! Anyway very tempted to try the aspirin mask. Moreover it's so cheap for the tablets. Is there a name for the aspirin tablets from Guardian?

Wondering if all skin types suit this. I know aspirin masks works best for oily and acne-prone skin. But how about oily under the surface but slightly dehydrated skin on the surface (still prone to white heads and pimples) This is the analysis i came to on my skin based on my beautician's comments and my regular vainy oberservation in my mirror.

The all important question is tt: will it cause further breakouts or any skin sensitivity?

Thanks!

Comment

I swear by the vaseline method Candee posted. I had really bad 'Fu4 Gui4 Shou3' during my stay in HK because of the harsh detergent I used for laundry. My hands were cracking up like nobody's business and even 'split'. It was hellish. Just slather on plenty of vaseline and put on gloves. My hands are fine now.

One of my gf swears by using manuka honey on her face. She said this has antiseptic properties.

Comment

Originally posted by raebelasian
                          One of my gf swears by using manuka honey on her face. She said this has antiseptic properties.
                          Honey does have antiseptic properties. In ancient Egypt, it's used during operations to *seal* up wounds. It's always recommended a tub of honey be readily at hand in the kitchen as first-aid treatment for cuts or burns.

Comment

I do the yogurt mask and I love the cooling effect and smooth feel of skin after washing. I love eating natural yogurt too!

Comment

Originally posted by turtle
                              I do the yogurt mask and I love the cooling effect and smooth feel of skin after washing. I love eating natural yogurt too!

just smear on yoghurt?

Comment

Working...
                              X