Aromatherpy/Essential Oil Skincare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aromatherpy/Essential Oil Skincare

I'm on an Aromatherapy kicks now. Not only they smell good but also promote physical/emotional effect for the whole body. The easiest way to use is to burn them. I.e. Lavender to relax, Bergamot to uplift your emotion, etc. You can also mix the essential oils (EO) with carrier oil like Jojoba to be used as massage oil. If you have enough necessary ingredient, can use to make your facial care items like toner, moisturizer as well.

But be sure you use pure EO. The oil selling in TBS is not nor the Lamger Berger (Sp?). Australia brands like Jurlique and Perfect Potion, UK's Neal's Yard makes pure EOs. And these Auz brands priced very reasonably as well.

I'm just a beginner actually...so let's share!

Re: Anyone likes Aromatherapy?

<FONT SIZE=1>Originally posted by glenda

But be sure you use pure EO. The oil selling in TBS is not nor the Lamger Berger (Sp?). Australia brands like Jurlique and Perfect Potion, UK's Neal's Yard makes pure EOs. And these Auz brands priced very reasonably as well.

I'm just a beginner actually...so let's share! </FONT SIZE>
    Agreed the point made here regarding Lamger Berger...here's an extract from a aromatherapy website I visit regularly

"It is true that there may be positive testimonies of pple recovering after they inhaled the "alcohol", but that is just based on the emotional effects where the mind overcomes the body thru relaxation when inhaling and helps the body recover. But how many are there? It claims it kills the bacterias in the room but if the room is so clean, we will die the minute we step out of the room (think Micheal Jackson wearing a scarve around his nose when he is out of his "bateria-free-oxygen-incubator" and look at his health after years of sleeping in "clean rooms"). From the scientific pt of view, combustion releases carbon dioxide and monoxide and together with the alcohol released in the enclosed room, are you relaxed and sleepy because of the fragrance or intoxicated by alcohol or your brain's numbed by the CO2? wouldn't fragrance be easier and safer to release thru droping essential oils on fabrics like pillow case, curtains or tissue papers put at the back of a fan? It is also cheaper and healthier because you are inhaling natural stuff and you dun have to buy a S$300 lamp to intoxicate you with alcohol. Wine will do a better job. btw, many labs have shown that it contains >90% alcohol (more than the strongest booze known). You decide for yourself, if liquor kills, wat alcohol are they using to heal at such high dosage? "

AromaArt

Was actually quite keen to take up an interest course but realised that courses offered in Sg caters mostly for pple interested to pursue a career in this area. Fees are terribly expensive for interest learning. *sign*
    Last edited by raebelasian; 19-02-2003, 10:56 PM.

Comment

<FONT SIZE=1>Originally posted by meow123
      I like aromatherapy too but am not a pro in this area at all. I like burning candles more than mixing the oil though. I love L'occitane and Clarins candles. Very calming and relaxing....Other than that I use Lavender oil (from Loccitane I think) or peppermint when I hv blocked nose... </FONT SIZE>

That's why I started playing with it in the beginner level-burning them using a burner. It's actually not hard at all. I bought a burner from L'Occintane. Just put some water on the top and then a few drops of the EO you like, that's it. I found it's cheaper and the scent last longer and stronger than candles. Of coz making your own skincare is more complicated.

To give you some idea, the EO is about S$15-up each in Auz. Thanks Erica for CPing them for me. I'm lemming EOs long ago but didn't take action to buy them until now

Comment

think i am a pretty weird person..
        i dont like rose scent..i dont exactly like lavendar too.
        i know lavendar is suppose to be calming etc...but the smell just turn me off.

i dont accept a wide range of scents...
        anybody can recommend me something? i have a burner at home, got it as a gift and it has been collecting dust.
        :|

i like perfumes like marc jacobs, pappillion, forever and ever(CD)

Comment

I love aromatherapy!! Lavender, bergomat, geranium, orange etc. I usually use a burner and a tealight, nowadays i'm also using the massage oil which is supposed to be both therapeutic as well as good for the skin. I got mine mostly from the scent shop or inner peace, and mix and match them around. One thing i've learnt though, is to always look for 100% pure EO as anything less than that will be be good enough even though it will be cheaper. If it's not stated, usually it's not 100% pure, but the SA can usually verify that. Apple, if you didn't like lavender by its own, perhaps you can try matching lavender with orange, or geranium. Or you can get those EO which have a combination of EO in them to match your mood, eg relaxing, sensual, energizing etc. Jurlique has a great selection of these mixed oils but they are cheaper in Oz.

Comment

OOo.... I've been nursing an interest since my teens, before aromatherapy became big and it was a pain finding EOs then. Shops which sold it have no product knowledge when it's quite plain that the oils aren't 100% pure.

After a collecting spree... I only keep lavender and tea-tree oil within my reach, which have really strong medicinal value.

Love German camomile lots, geranium and grapefruit, neroli.

Reputable brands available in Singapore that I know of, Neal's Yard, Aroma Vera (from Family Health).
            The Australian ones are really expensive, so I avoid them.

Tried to concoct my perfume but it smells invariably like cologne and I can't make the scent last for a decent time.

Comment

<FONT SIZE=1>Originally posted by appleger
              think i am a pretty weird person..
              i dont like rose scent..i dont exactly like lavendar too.
              i know lavendar is suppose to be calming etc...but the smell just turn me off.

i dont accept a wide range of scents...
              anybody can recommend me something? i have a burner at home, got it as a gift and it has been collecting dust.
              :|

i like perfumes like marc jacobs, pappillion, forever and ever(CD) </FONT SIZE>
              Agreed with Meow and Dreamie, you can mix oils to burn which is also easy. Just smell them together and if you feel like the scent, then just put a 2-3 drops each to the burner.
              I also didn't like lavender's scent b4 but somehow the more I smell it the more I like it
              I also like Marc Jacobs the scent is seductive and warm. For EO similar to this maybe you can try Rosewood, or Jurlique/Perfect Potion's mixed EOs?

Comment

Originally posted by paphio

Love German camomile lots, geranium and grapefruit, neroli.

Reputable brands available in Singapore that I know of, Neal's Yard, Aroma Vera (from Family Health).
                The Australian ones are really expensive, so I avoid them.
                Auz brands like Perfect Potions/Jurique are very cheap selling in Auz, maybe you can ask some Auz girls to CP for you? Neal's Yard is quite exp in HK but I found the quality is also good.

I also like the 4 EOs you mentioned but found G. Camomile quite exp so I just started with Graphfruit, Lavender, Rosewood, Bergamot, and Eros (PP's mixed EO, warm) first.

You know I have read that EOs can gets deep into you nerve under skin so the effect is obvious and fast. That's what I experience too using EO based skincare like PP, Jurlique, Decleor. That's another reason I like EOs.
                Last edited by glenda; 20-02-2003, 09:39 PM.

Comment

thanks for all the recommendation..
                  will note them down...

talking abt aust fren to CP for me...
                  hmmm.. maybe i shall visit jurlique's website to check out if there's any near where my fren's staying.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Anyone likes Aromatherapy?

Originally posted by glenda
                    Hiya Raebelasian...which website did you refer to? May take a look there...cheers.
                    Hi! The link is actually in my previous post. Click AromaArt

Anyway...for convenience sake

AromaArt

Comment

Originally posted by appleger
                      thanks for all the recommendation..
                      will note them down...

talking abt aust fren to CP for me...
                      hmmm.. maybe i shall visit jurlique's website to check out if there's any near where my fren's staying.
                      I'm sure it has a store nearby your frd since Jurlique is popular there and seems they have many stores there.

Rae, thanks for the link

Comment

i used to be very into aromatherapy too. but now i just don't have the time nor space (for burner or candle) to do anything!
                        my fav oils were bergamot, grapefruit, camomile, peppermint, rosemary, and neroli.
                        at one time there used to be a weekly aromatherapy magazine that you cld buy and keep in a file (complete with markers et al) and sample (cheap) oils.
                        and cos i'm so lazy now, the only aromatherapy thing i use is Origins Peace Of Mind.

Comment

You can buy a ceramic "ring" that fits over your lampshade (or lamp bulb but that sounds risky to me)... the idea is when you switch on the bedlight, it heats up the ceramic ring which is doused lightly (Not dripping) in EO. Just replenish by dripping EO on it occasionally.

Comment

Originally posted by champagne
                            You can buy a ceramic "ring" that fits over your lampshade (or lamp bulb but that sounds risky to me)... the idea is when you switch on the bedlight, it heats up the ceramic ring which is doused lightly (Not dripping) in EO. Just replenish by dripping EO on it occasionally.
                            problem is i don't have a bedside lamp.
                            as it is i surf the web at nite, and the only other lights in my room are white fluroscent lights. (mom's idea, not mine)

table is overflowing with nonsense and scrap paper so makes it too risky for open flames.

*sigh*

Comment

URGENT!

does anyone know where i can find good quality lavender massage oil? my grandfather needs this for his physiotheraphy

TIA!

Comment

Working...
                              X