Cystic Pimple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cystic Pimple

Lately I've been getting those pimples that's waiting to go full-blown on me! It's disgusting and I hate to think that I'm getting adult acne now. They are mostly on my chin. One after another subsides. Eeeeeksss! After reading the Straits Times (Wed) Life section today, I'm even more paranoid about adult acne.

I don't touch my face.

I clean my bedsheets every 2 weeks.

I even have a face towel on the pillow where I rest my head and I change that every other day. (Aquired this habit when I was staying in Taiwan, taiwanese do this. No wonder they seem to have nicer skin)

I wash my face two times a day just like any other gal.

I use makeup every now and then.

I go for my facials religiously every two/three weeks.

I don't pick my pimples except to apply PC's blemish fighting solution every two hours on my pimples to KILL it. *I want my Clean and Clear Blemish gel*

I sleep a minimum of 8 hours every day and no, I'm not stressed and I'm not even considered working (I help my mom's biz)

I don't trust dermatologist anymore after one prescribed Tetracycline (antibiotics) and this stained my teeth BIG time! I only realised this after seeing my dentist. *Too Late*

I don't want to appear too anxious and attention-seeking by going to another derma when there's only a few pimples popping out on my chin every now and then.

My gf suggest I use her Retin-A. Should I?

Can anyone tell me why I can't look good in time for Chinese New Year? Merci beaucoup.

~I want to look 'mei mei'!~

*mei mei:pretty pretty

Rac .. what kind of skincare products are you currently using? I had a bout of underground zits & I blame it on PC & Nuetrogena Pore Refining products! They were just too harsh & my skin just overreacted.

Sorry, nothing much you can do accept wait for it to subside. Just try not to touch it - I tried squeezing mine out but now I have a scar to show for it. Concealor is now your best friend.

Comment

My face is now clear & what worked for me was :

I stopped using all products for close to two weeks... the zits went but skin became a little dry (rather be dry than zitty!). I then slowly introduce one product at a time to my skin - that way, I know what causes it when a skin flare up occurs.

Now, I keep it as simple as I can - Only Avon Ultimate (plus sunscreen) in the morning & La Mer at night.

Comment

Originally posted by "atypical"

Rac .. what kind of skincare products are you currently using? I had a bout of underground zits & I now blame it on the PC & Nuetrogena Pore Refining products I was using.

Sorry, nothing much you can do accept wait for it to subside. Just try not to touch it - I tried squeezing mine out but now I have a scar to show for it. Concealor is now your best friend.
        I was using PC three months ago. Realised I reached a plateau with this brand. Switched to Natura Bisse and my skin behaves.

I can't say for sure what went wrong now. I'm trying to blame my skincare...I'm very basic in skincare. Just cleanser, toner and no moisturiser (bad...I know but my skin's fairly oily) and eye gel. Could it be it's time to get a proper makeup remover?! I usually use the toner to remove all traces of grime until the cotton pad shows up clean.

Advise pls

Comment

The cleanser & toner could be bad for you? Stop using it & see if things improve. Try using a makeup remover (shu or KP) then cleansing with a mild face wash. Use a light oil free moisturiser ... hth some.

Do you scrub your face? If you do, how often & what product do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by "atypical"

The cleanser & toner could be bad for you? Stop using it & see if things improve. Try using a makeup remover (shu or KP) then cleansing with a mild face wash. Use a light oil free moisturiser ... hth some.

Do you scrub your face? If you do, how often & what product do you use?
            I don't scrub. But I exfoliate by using Natura Bisse Glyco balance which is an AHA.

Ummmm...I guess I have to switch to something mild.

Thanks Stella. Glad your skin is 'guai guai' now* I do agree that having dry skin is better than acne. I will take dry skin anytime!

BTW, you can't tempt me with makeup now. My money goes to buying skincare now. We'll talk about it when my skin starts behaving :wink:

Comment

Heh, I suspected that AHA is what caused me my undergrounders. Maybe it's that for you too!

Okay .. I shall not try to tempt you but I still wanna do a demo just for fun!

Comment

If there's 2 much hidden stuff under the skin, using Retin-a now may not be a gd choice, if u're preparing for the new year. Similar to using aha, the zits may worsen before you can see positive result. But retin-a is not an exfoliator that scraps off the external skin. It works deeper than acid and promotes healthier skin cells. Peeling is a very common side-effect though.

I think applying PC's blemish fighting solution every 2 hours will actually burn your skin.

Using mild products could be your skin's "saviour".....hth

Comment

Originally posted by "latte"

I think applying PC's blemish fighting solution every 2 hours will actually burn your skin.
                  Report: Day three of continuous application of PC blemish solution every 2 hours at night

The pimples are drying up. I see three red dots. The 'undergrounders' are less painful than the first day. Oh yes...the skin around my chin is peeling like mad. I'm so tempted to peel 'em off *somebody tie my hands!!!!*

Comment

My recommendation is that you go back to the derm vs wasting $$ looking for topical solutions. I'm not sure how old you are but if you are getting the "underground" type in your mid 20's or beyond, this is generally considered adult acne or hormonal cystic acne. Very different than what you might have gotten as a teenager. What goes on the surface will not kill what's sprouting from the inside, imo.

I spent about 7 years dealing with this. Antibiotics were a temp fix assuming it worked and my body could not handle BCP's (not to mention my libido). I know that accutane is considered an extreme but I do want to say that it did wonders for my skin. I have not gotten one cystic acne in over a year now! *knock on wood* I no longer have to go running to the derm during my lunch hour to get a cortisone shot. I no longer spend $$ filling one prescription after another hoping that THIS is the miracle cure. And I no longer spend $$ trying one over-the-counter topical vs another in hopes that I wake up the next morning & IT will look significantly different. Yes, it IS hard to be on accutane. The side effects are significant, but once its over, it's over. It is better than suffering for years with painful eruptions & scars that take months to disappear. Or even carefully "painting" the eruption with concealer in hopes that no one will see it!

Sorry, if I sound like an ad, it's just that personally, I can't believe I held off for so long thinking that I did not need to do something as drastic as Accutane b/c in all honesty, to 99.9% of the population, I would not be classified as having an acne problem. But my breakouts were persistent & they were all cystic. And like everyone else, wanted them all to simply... go away!

For a less extreme solution, look at the types of foods that you are eating. Coffee & beef are considered bad foods & can cause acne. You might want to check out a chinese herbal doctor & follow a course of either herbal chinese medicine or recommended diet. I haven't tried this but I have known others who have & it's very regulated from what I hear but have done wonders as well.

This is just my opinion & experience with the cystic type of acne. And it's great now b/c I can now focus on other skin problems vs on acne. :D

Comment

Originally posted by serren
                      I know that accutane is considered an extreme but I do want to say that it did wonders for my skin. :D

Hi Susan, I'm a little ignorant here....what is accutane?? Why do you describe it as an extreme move..and what are the 'drastic' side effects?

I am having the same problems too, which I am slowing acknowledging it to be called A.D.U.L.T A.C.N.E...*nonnonono...I want the beautiful skin I had in my teens!!!* I've got those ungerground pimples popping out every now and then, more if I don;t get enought sleep or don;t drink enought water, and they're just swollen bumps which cannot be extracted...and worse, they re-surface after a few weeks of subsiding, and have their cousins living in the neighbourhood! So sometines when it gets bad, I can have 2 of such swollen bumps next to each other on my cheeks! arrggggg.... !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Riverie

they're just swollen bumps which cannot be extracted...and worse, they re-surface after a few weeks of subsiding, and have their cousins living in the neighbourhood! So sometines when it gets bad, I can have 2 of such swollen bumps next to each other on my cheeks! arrggggg.... !!!!
                        I get what you mean coz mine's exactly like what u describe. Whe they go full-blown on me, you can see the icky stuff inside. So far, the zits have only appeared on my chin *Touch wood*

Mine's not that bad, not cyst-like *touch wood again*. Just very painful and big pimples.

Something irrelevant here...

I realise I get pimples popping up on me whenever I tease my boy friend and a very good guyfriend who have random pimples popping every once in a while. It happened more than once. I'm keeping my mouth shut. Learn my lesson and be nice

Lalalalalalalalalala......

Comment

Originally posted by Riverie
                          Hi Susan, I'm a little ignorant here....what is accutane?? Why do you describe it as an extreme move..and what are the 'drastic' side effects?

I am having the same problems too, which I am slowing acknowledging it to be called A.D.U.L.T A.C.N.E...*nonnonono...I want the beautiful skin I had in my teens!!!* I've got those ungerground pimples popping out every now and then, more if I don;t get enought sleep or don;t drink enought water, and they're just swollen bumps which cannot be extracted...and worse, they re-surface after a few weeks of subsiding, and have their cousins living in the neighbourhood! So sometines when it gets bad, I can have 2 of such swollen bumps next to each other on my cheeks! arrggggg.... !!!!
                          Accutane is considered the ONLY cure for acne. It's generally a 4-6 month course, dosage is according to your body weight, & requires strict monitoring. You go for blood tests before, every 2-4 weeks while on it & also for 1 month at the end. You can not get pregnant while you're on it b/c it will cause abnormalities. And the side effects range from severe dry skin, really chapped lips, bleeding nose, skin irritations (not acne but sometimes little bumps not just on face, but in other areas of the body), & hair loss. There's probably more but this is all I can think of for now. For me, it *was* h*ll. My skin got really dry & I couldn't wear any foundation anymore. You're down to the most simpliest skincare routine (cetaphil cleansing & moisturizer), tonz of lip balm & there is gooze that you can apply on the inside of your nose to keep it moist so that it will not bleed. It is by prescription only & it is expensive. It is considered the last option should everything else you've tried does not work. It is generally not the first option prescribed by a dermatologist.

Basically, the premise of Accutane is that it decreases the oil production in your body (not just your face). For most, this is enough to "cure" your acne. Here is a site which may provide you with more info: http://www.skinsite.com/info_accutane.htm

For me, my skin is no longer as oily as it used to be so I don't get the mid-day shine like I used to (it was more like the 10-11 o'clock shine actually *lol*) which is actually great! I exfoliate regularly, drink a lot of water, & use a skincare line targetting dry skin. Part of the skin problems as you get into your mid-20's & later is that your natural skin no longer turns over like it used to so you must increase exfoliation either physically (with an exfoliator) or chemically (with AHA, BHA or glycolic, etc.). So, you might consider adding this to your skincare regimen if you have not already done so.

As for the one painful bumps that look like they are under 5,000 layers of epidermis, I have never been able to find anything to deal with them except to run to the derm to get a cortisone injection which brings them down almost overnight. I know what you mean that's it's like the whole neighbourhood came out for a party! Sometimes, I go for one injection & the derm tells met that there's actually 3 there & gives me 3 injections! But generally, at this point, it's almost like, do whatever you need to do, just make them go away! :laugh:

Like I said before, I'm not sure how the medical system is in S'pore & how the derm's there generally treat acne so I can only speak about my Canadian experience (not even the US!) & can only say that I have no regrets. The side effects are only an investment for future benefits! :D

-s

Comment

Originally posted by raebelasian
                            I get what you mean coz mine's exactly like what u describe. Whe they go full-blown on me, you can see the icky stuff inside. So far, the zits have only appeared on my chin *Touch wood*
                            Generally, chin ones are considered hormonal. If not, you might want to look at things that are placed near your chin. Do you frequently touch that area (like resting your chin against your palm)? If you do, then try to eliminate that activity. Do you talk on the phone often? Clean the mouth piece area with rubbing alcohol to disinfect it. Just a couple things you might want to think about... HTHS!

-s

Comment

Oh no! I think i may be a victim of the so called undergrounder or adult cystic acne. Occasionally i have these painful bumps developing from under the skin and never developing into pimples to be squeezed. They are painful and subside after a new days but not totally, just becomes smaller and eventually they are still there but not painful anymore. Are these cystic? I used to see a doc for them and they always prescribe topical cream (antibiotic cream). I have one such bump now near the chin which refuse to budge. What should i do? Leave it and hope it goes away or see a doctor? It's not awfully serious, just troublesome to hide with concealer.

Comment

Working...
                              X