how effective is microdermabrasion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how effective is microdermabrasion?

read that microdermabrasion can help to smooth out pitted scars when i did a google search... but really how effective is it? has anyone here tried microdermabrasion?

Clinical microdermabrasion is useful for stimulating skin renewal, but with higher setting there's risk of broken capillaries in people who are prone. I personally prefer home microdermabrasion which is just a glorified scrub after my own acid peel. Very good results with it and very cheap if you get a source of the crystals.

For pitted scars unfortunately the effects will be limited - you will need laser resurfacing and more invasive procedures. HTHS.

Comment

Are microdermabrasion more for fading scars or smoothen uneven pores?

Comment

Simply put microdermabrasion is an aggressive exfoliation that removes the top layers of the epidermis. It will help reduce congestion, but should be performed when there are no active breakouts as the irritation can cause aggravation of acne. It's suitable for most skintypes and results in smoother skin, less congestion and perhaps even firming, due to physical removal of debris and stimulation of renewal. For scars, it will help lighten superficial scars but not pitted scars which are mainly dense collagen networks. It will help to a certain degree by plumping up the area, but apart from procedures that actually break up the scar and allow new skin cells to reestablish themselves, it's unlikely to be of much use. More invasive procedures like laser and strong acid peels are required. For reduction of scarring daily treatment products like copper peptides are more appropriate, but these can cause breakouts and do not work where there isn't much damage or collagen-deficiency.

Due to the vacuum and tugging, people with broken capillaries should not undergo microdermabrasion.

Comment

yep, not only that, people with sensitive skin should try to avoid it too.

Comment

i see.... i heard laser doesn't help pitted scars too cos there might be more scars and ur skin gets burn... i think scars just remain somehow no matter what u do...i guess...

Comment

There are different types of laser used for different things. Then again there are theories on the different types of scars - some say it's a deficiency of collagen, some say it's a dense network of collagen like raised scars - whatever it is, superficial exfoliation wouldn't help. Laser helps as it destroys some scar tissue and stimulates renewal - you just have to do your homework as to which type. I haven't had personal experience so I can't help with that. Was planning on buying a book on invasive cosmetic procedures but gotta wait for the cash. I wouldn't invest in something if it's not going to work though. I think it's best to go for a derm consult.

Comment

microdermabarasion

has anyone here tried or have good info on where to get microdermabarasion in singapore or in bangkok?

those ascetic clinics.

microdermabarasion is a treatment which removes the skin layer by layer with find sand and diamond peelers, it loosens dead skin cells easier

very effective results for pple with large pores, sensitive skin, ezema, white heads, scars, pigmentation , uneven skin tone, etc

i know face spa at pacific plaza has a package $1.8k for around 9 sessions.

thats around the same price at gerogia lee's TLC at holland. and she doesnt charge package, but around $200 / visit. excluding her one time consultation fee

Comment

i've been doing microdermabrasion at DRx and the marks on my face have lightened a lot. skin feels very clear and smooth after every session. i think it's really good.

Comment

Originally posted by allicsirp View Post
                    i've been doing microdermabrasion at DRx and the marks on my face have lightened a lot. skin feels very clear and smooth after every session. i think it's really good.
                    Hiow often and how many times you did? i did once a month i think it's like waste of $$. i'm unsure if i should continue. i dunno why, but somehow the pigment is like always there.

Comment

i usually go for it every 3-4 weeks. hmm... on top of that, i also see the doctor after every treatment. he prescribed some cream to aid in the lightening of the marks.

Comment

Originally posted by iloveu View Post
                        Hiow often and how many times you did? i did once a month i think it's like waste of $$. i'm unsure if i should continue. i dunno why, but somehow the pigment is like always there.
                        It's good to do it once a month like a facial, microdermabrasion combined with ultrasonic cleansing and vitamin C infusion. For pigment , still need bleaching/lightening cream like hydroquinone/kojic acid, etc. I paid about $150 per session at a clinic, I think quite reasonable compared to $1.8 for 9 sessions.

Comment

hi sandradee...do u still go facial if you do microderm+ultrasonic+vit c?

Comment

i paid $2700 for 30 sessions of microderm+vit C mask.

Comment

Originally posted by nikki18 View Post
                              hi sandradee...do u still go facial if you do microderm+ultrasonic+vit c?
                              No, I don't go for facial anymore, my skin looks glowy and smooth after the treatment. The only difference is salon/spa more pampering but I am someone who cannot lie down for 2 hrs doing facial.

Comment

Working...
                              X