No announcement yet.

Oral Medications for Acne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• its in capsule form so that you wont find the taste awful to swallow, hence if you open up the capsule, the pill still serves its purpose, but its the taste you can take it anot..

Comment

• yoshimi: Thanks for the reply! I've tried one earlier. The taste is really awful but i'd prefer the yuckiness to forcing myself to swallow a pill down lol. I was just afraid that its effectiveness will be reduced.

Comment

• so I guess you'd be able to take the taste of this one then since the previous one is ok

Comment

• Originally posted by felicia_yl2000 View Post
          Hi rebel1992:
          The medication works by pushing out impurities out of the skin's surface. I had my fair share of blackheads+whiteheads and oily skin during initial stages of accutane. Blackheads that were sitting on my nose since my teenage years.. started to come out.. i could literally use a tweezer and pull out the blackheads one by one... Its scary, but its part and parcel of the process.
          yes my nose became very rough and i kept using a scrub to scrub it but it just became worse. then suddenly i realized that those stuff were actually the whiteheads coming out! i pressed and pressed and whiteheads just came out! some were so big that i couldn't believe there was enough space under my skin! they must have been there for years!

how on earth does roaccutane work? it's amazing!
          Last edited by junzi; 15-05-2011, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by junzi View Post
            yes my nose became very rough and i kept using a scrub to scrub it but it just became worse. then suddenly i realized that those stuff were actually the whiteheads coming out! i pressed and pressed and whiteheads just came out! some were so big that i couldn't believe there was enough space under my skin! they must have been there for years!

how on earth does roaccutane work? it's amazing!
            hello cotters. my doc just put me on acnotin aka ro/accutane, but i am really scared coz of the side effects and the youtube videos, suicidal, aggression, hair loss etc. And to make it worse, my derm was not helpful in explaining the side effects. she seems to prescribe it alot (i think mainly coz she earns more) she is really bochap. anyway aside from the complaints, any cotters can share with me and other peeps trying on the medication on:
            1. Side effects
            2. Results
            3. Dosage taken
            4. period taken to see results
            5. does acne come back after treatment?

Thanks!!!!!

Comment

• @jacgurl: i took e med a few years back but just to share the effects on me. It may not b the same for everyone though.

1. Side effects: dry n chipped lips( for me, it's dry lips so u have to drink lots of water), skin will be dry so moisturizer is a must! must stop the med at least 3mths, best 6mths before pregnancy as it will cause deformity in babies.

2. Results : clears acne n even my back acne is gone!

3. Dosage taken: think if I'm nt wrong, a pill a day

4. period taken to see results: a box which is a mth's supply n u'll c the difference.

5. does acne come back after treatment?: nope. It's been years n except for a few occasional pimples, no serious acne occurs thereafter.

Hth!

Comment

• I read up all about the oral medicine on the internet, but i still go ahead and take the pills for afew months. My skin was really good then, all the acnes just dry up and its so wonderful to have good skin again. I have stopped taking for about a year already. I really don't want to rely on medication as its not good for health.

Comment

• How long does one needs to be on Roaccutane?
                  Went to the doc yesterday and he said I need to be on 15mth !!
                  I heard some said for 6mth course only.

And may I know how much is a box of Roaccutance cost?
                  I think the doc had over price ...he quote 175/box!!

Comment

• $175 is alright, the last time the doctor charged me at almost $200 i think. I remember it was very expensive, and it only last me for one month. I did not take it for that long, as in your doctor told you to be on this medication for 15 months. I really dislike to rely on such pills for so long, as i read up alot about it and its bad for liver or kidney i think. After i have stopped taking accutane, i tried many brands of skincare to treat my acne skin. Though its much more under control now, but as i'm always eating heaty stuff, pimples will still pop out every now and then to torture me.

Comment

• I was on minocycline for 3 months and it helped. Think it cost maybe $200?

Comment

• I have seen at least 4 different doctors ever since i have problem with my skin. At that time my skin was seriously bad, but none of the doctor told me that i may need to go on roaccutane for 15 months. Couldn't be that long, why don't you seek any doctor's consultation instead. Some of the clinic does charge cheaper, less than $150, you look for those neighbourhood ones, they will not overcharge by that much.

Comment

• Best is to go National Skin Centre, I suffered from severe ance and was put on isotretinoin for 6 months only which clear up. The doctors won't put one on isotretinoin for a long period of time.

Originally posted by FreyaQuips View Post
                          I was on minocycline for 3 months and it helped. Think it cost maybe $200?
                          This antibiotic cost only like a few bucks in polyclinic or NSC.

Comment

• Deleted......
                            Last edited by LTC; 29-12-2011, 10:15 PM. Reason: Duplicate message

Comment

• Hi! I had mild acne with slight scarring and my derm prescribed accutane for me since Aug last year.

1. Super dry lips. It gets really annoying. :/ and as it really dries up the system, i recently get frequent nose bleeds. I also do have slight aches here and there. But the most significant side effects are the dry lips and the nose bleed. Oh, and for the first 2 to 3 weeks, i had extra zits popping out which looked worse than before, but after which, it just cleared up.

2. It really works for me and my skin actually felt smoother and it cleared up. Only slight scarring is left, with very occasional zits coming up.
                              But my derm said that compared to her other patients of my age range early twenties, mine showed the best results. There's this other girl who was put on the same dosage as me that showed slower results. I think it really depends on the individual.

3. 1 pill per day.

4. It took me about 2 months to really see the results.

5. I will only stop my treatment around early March 2012. But so far so good!

hope it helps!

and do remember to check with your derm regarding the effects on the liver, as if i'm not wrong, some other derms require their patient to go for a blood test for some checks before they can take accutane.

Comment

• My doctor did not do a blood test for me, but i heard from some friends who are taking accutane that their doctor did do a blood test for them. I tried taking two pills a day and i find that i have difficulty breathing, so i have to cut down to only one pill a day. The results is good, cause my acne subsided real fast.

Comment

Working...
                                X