Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think there are too many hair salons that over-charge us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think there are too many hair salons that over-charge us?

My colleagues and I happened to come to this topic that many of our local hair salons are getting more and more expensive, but for most stylists, they don't actually have the skill that's equivalent to their rate. It makes some customers feel that it's a rip-off to pay for such prices.

I noticed those female friends around me who visited the same salon (different branches and stylists) have the same hairstyle, although they've different face shapes. I've friends getting the exact hairstyle but at about $20 cheaper than what the chain hair salons give their customers. What amused me most is many salons are telling us that we'll get a discount from their member card, but how many of them are really giving us better rate? I've visited salon A for colouring, they charged me about $200 for my short hair, it cost me above $150 for just colouring alone. My sister-in-law with long hair went to salon B, which is also a popular salon but with slightly better reviews than salon A, using the same hair colour brand, she is paying lesser than me without any member discount.

Nowaday, there are more and more hairstylists from the big boys opening their own salons. It's good to have more choices, but that doesn't seem to make the charges more competitive. They are charging the same rate or very slightly different from the big boys, I've visited some of them before they have their own salon, honestly speaking, I don't find them worth the rate.

Do share what you think about our local salons.

cheap good cuts

hey girl

thanks for bringing up this topic.

i totally agree that they ARE over charging. especially if it's salons in town. but if you go a bit off town, there are good ones at decent prizes.

i learnt that. so now, i go to a salon at odeon katong that my friend recommends me. the cut is only $20 and ive long hair.

Comment

Usually i will ask my stylist the price first before doing my hair so that i won't feel that its too expensive and she's overcharging me for it. If it is really a good haircut, color or any other chemical services, i will not feel heartpain paying for it.

Comment

I agree with you
        Esp. these local small salons. They're not famous or what but they are sometimes charging prices just alil bit lower than those bigger, more popular chain-salons.
        Then what's the use of me gng to your neighborhood salon when you're gonna charge me so much.

Luckily, there's still some that are charging reasonably.

Comment

price depend on the stylist expertise, salon branding, location(rent), the targeted market group. like all kind of product, there are diff range of services price that cater the diff gp of pple. neighbour salon does not equate to cheap rate nor town salon mean it's expensive. whether the salon oversharge is for us to gauge. we have the choice to switch salon if we r not satisfied. u just have to find the one u r comfortable with. in fact, i think some salons undercharge. in countries where stylists are deemed professional, they dun go into price war etc japan, europe.... so if the salon feel that they r worth the price, it's also their choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashlene View Post
            I agree with you
            Esp. these local small salons. They're not famous or what but they are sometimes charging prices just alil bit lower than those bigger, more popular chain-salons.
            Then what's the use of me gng to your neighborhood salon when you're gonna charge me so much.

Luckily, there's still some that are charging reasonably.
            yup, u r right!!!some of these lousy stylists opening their v.own salons in orchard r charging way too high!v.leech-y behavior

Comment

It's really something that's quite common in Singapore now, for many industries involving the public consummers and not only Hair salons. You have honestly not very good quality products being tagged at high quality prices. I hate this practice because eventually it will inflate the market - everybody will raise their prices even the lower end ones and then the higher end ones will raise theirs further even though they are already earning a profit at whatever rate they were charging because ultimately they are providing something of a higher value than the lower end. This becomes a cycle and what you see is a very expensive city that doesn't deliver a lot on quality. So in the end, you get something that's really not much value for money but we still need to pay for it.

Comment

I think this topic is really interesting as I was sharing something with some of my gal friends lately.
                We spend so much money on shoes, bags, accessories, from fareast plaza to Gucci, LV, yet we don't get to use these things everyday. We invest so much $$$ on things that we cant even use everyday, but we are happy and contented just to own these things.
                On the other hand, our "parmanent accessories"- our hair, is with us all the time, whether u like it or not, it will be with you all the time. We all know, with nice, beautiful hair we get admiring looks from strangers, compliments from friends, and we will also feel confident about ourself. Isn't this a more worthwhile investment? But I don't understand why when it comes to hair services, most people concern is the charges must be cheap? How can anyone compare a good hair service with cheap charges? Personally I only believe in what you pay is what you get. Don't expect to pay a $20 haircut to look like its worth a thousand, that's deceiving yourself isn't it.
                Of course everyone has their perception of what's cheap and what's expensive and what's affordable. Let say, if there is a fantastic hairstylist that can definitely deliver what you want, but how much are you willing to pay? As I see alot of cotters here, complaining about their bad experience, and most of them went to salons at HDB or neighbourhood hub.
                Like what Playground mentioned, prices also depend on the hairstylist experience, salon location, the ambience, the service..etc.

Comment

i agree, the branding is terrible. like the advertisement on sunsilk? where they have different world reknowned stylists endorssing the different 'flavours'??! mannnn....

Comment

Originally posted by leechie View Post
                    yup, u r right!!!some of these lousy stylists opening their v.own salons in orchard r charging way too high!v.leech-y behavior
                    .......... how can orchard road salon be cheap. even if skills of stylist is no good, the high rental charges of orchard road unit still applies. Going to eat into the cost of haircut etc

Comment

Personally I have not met really bad hairstylists, probably because I will never go into a salon at HDB or neighbourhood hub. Not that I look down on them, but I wouldn't dare to risk. I will only try a salon that is of a certain repo in the market or I seen someone with nice hairstyle and I ask them which salons they go to. Hair to me is very important, its equally important as my complexion, because we are out and facing people everyday.

I think if someone set up a hair salon in orchard rd, his skill should match up to the ambience and environment of his salon, or else his salons will not last long. Customers are too smart to be cheated nowdays. There are too many salons at Orchard rd, its so competitive. If their skill are not good, they won't be able to survive. I usually choose hairstylist that has good fashion sense. Hairstylists who groom themselves well are usually passionate in their jobs, and you won't go too wrong with them doing your hair. This is my personal experience.

There are still some cheap rental units in orchard, like orchard plaza, mid-point orchard, orchard tower. Its still at orchard, but I don't think the salons at these malls are charging high price? But will you dare to try out these salons?

Comment

Good topic. I have been to many salons. Everytime I had to tell them how to cut my hair because when I asked them what hairstyles suit me, they recommended the popular hairstyles at that time! (I went to different salons every time because I was not satisfied every time I went for haircut)
                        When I said I did not want the hairstyles they recommended, I was asked to determine what hairstyles I wanted. In the end, I chose one. But, everytime I chose different hairstyles from different salons, I ended up with same styles! And I have to fork out S$20 plus (sometimes S$40 plus) for 10 minutes cut (yeah, my hair is thin, but I want details)
                        That's why I agree that they overcharge.
                        But LesFemme is right, the hair is our crown. I don't mind going to salons as long as I don't end up with bad haircut. So-so haircut is fine.

Then, my friend recommended a neighborhood salon. At first, I was skeptical.... But since it's cheap, I just try. Can't be worse than the salons anyway because I think I get a standard haircut everytime.

And, I was surprised after my haircut. My friends compliment my haircut. It's different than usual, they said. And it's at a fraction of the cost. So from now on, I will stick to this neighborhood salon. The haircut also took longer than salon because she cut with details. I like the atmosphere, it's friendly without over friendly (like they want you to buy their products etc etc). It's like talking with friends.

Comment

I'm also very particular about my hair, so i wouldnt mind paying a reasonable price for it. Sometimes when i walked along the streets, i do see people with really bad hair, untidy hair and i feel so glad that mine is not like that. In order to look well groomed and presentable, i think hair is so important.

Comment

been to many salons including chapter 2 which erm.. sucks? thinki rather pay more now for a decent hair cut. go to the Mechanics at Novena Square, charges about $39-50 for wash, massage head, cut, blow. very good. love.

Comment

I just experienced from it.

Came back from this Creme hairdressing at City Square mall which advert cut and color at $83. Then they recommended me to do two colors and the bill went up to $168 plus the hair cut $28 = $196 (more than doubled!) ALSO they did a bad colouring job. I feel cheated and very disappointed.

So girls if gg to any promo must stick to the package and do not simply let the ppl there recommend u anything. I was wrong to think that this salon in a shopping mall is different from neighborhood salon. It charged much more and the quality is worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X