Sunscreen talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm

I'm sorry if people have misunderstood. It's because the old thread is such a mess (and nobody wants to read it) that I started this new one. My only request is that you read the Choosing Sunscreens notes thread I pinned up before posting, because so many frequently asked questions are answered there.

Snowstar, one thing to check before you go hunting for another sunscreen: are you applying enough?

From http://www.dermdigest.com/skincare/skincare.html:
    The Food and Drug Administration recommends that 1,000 microliter be applied per 50 square centimeters of skin. What does this actually mean in practical terms? The average adult face has an area equal to a piece of typing paper (try draping a piece of typing paper over your face and you?ll see that I?m right.) That translates into about 810 to 820 square centimeters. That in turn would translate into 1.6 cc of sunscreen for the face. A teaspoon equals 5cc. If you were to be on the safe side and apply 2cc you would be applying about 4/10 of a teaspoon of sunscreen to cover an area the size of your face.

So that's 2/5 of a teaspoon.

If you want another sunscreen, bear in mind that they aren't very likely to be as light as Sunkiller. Even L'Oreal UV Perfect and Lancome UV Expert aren't quite as light - have you tried them yet?

I'm a big fan of French sunscreens, especially those from brands under the L'Oreal group, containing their patented Mexoryl XL. IIRC, you've tried La Roche-Posay Anthelios - do you like it? A quick review would be most welcome. Avene and RoC are good too, IMO. But as I've said, anything providing optimum protection is going to be rather thick, white and gunky.

One last thing: there is good reason why Japanese women like hats

Comment

hey can put your name beside the name of the sunscreen that you like best? easier for everyone too.

here are some of the sunscreen people talked about:

sunkiller clearwater spf 50 -

DRX sunscreen -

HABA stick sunscreen -

Loreal UV perfect SPF20 -

fancl sunscreen -

yup, can add other names of suncreen if you want too. thanx!

Comment

Update! Please read

Well, I've revised the Choosing Sunscreens thread to make it more concise and organised, and also titled each post. I'd love some feedback on how useful you find it.
        http://forums.cozycot.com/showthread...&postid=228863

I'm not trying to discourage questions, but sunscreens seem to be an issue where similar questions pop up all the time. I hope that by sticking up a FAQ-like sort of thing, it will make looking for answers much easier for everyone.

No, I'm not a skincare or sunscreen expert, whatever that is. I suck at science! But I have read up quite a bit on the subject, and think I have an objective and scientific POV on the topic. If there's anything you don't agree with, tell me why you think so.

No, I'm afraid I don't remember the details of every sunscreen I've come across. But I hope this forum will provide everyone with enough knowledge to find the sunscreen that's perfect for them! And along the way, post your reviews on CozyPurrs or here:
        http://forums.cozycot.com/showthread...&threadid=5970

Vonnie, I've seen the SPF blotting papers at Basic Beauty before, but I don't know if they still stock them. I think they're fairly common in Japan, so places like Sasa would be good places to look out for them.

Comment

question about Sunkiller SPF 50/ PA+++

I was wondering if anyone knows what the active ingredient is for the SunKiller sunscreen? Also, the active ingredient of Shiseido Anessa? I was trying to compare... but lost my packaging with the ingredients!

Was wondering if the two are the same ingredients.

Thanks in advance!
          Last edited by koneko; 30-12-2003, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Sunkiller comes in different formulations, but Clearwater SPF50 has zinc oxide and octyl methoxycinnamate. IIRC, the higher SPFs have also got titanium dioxide.

Anessa SPF50:
            - zinc oxide
            - avobenzone (Parsol 1789)
            - octyl methoxycinnamate
            - octyl triazone
            For some reason, zinc oxide is right at the bottom of the list, which isn't very reassuring, especially for such an expensive product.

Comment

Thank you so much Saresha! I really appreciate it! :yaya:

Comment

thanks saresha =) i definitely put on more than 2/5 teaspoon for my face. for my arms, i squeeze 2 - 3 lines of sunkiller down the length.

like you say, Avene is sticky and that's why i changed to sunkiller. will look up the lancome before deciding =) my sis uses avene and she goes to the beach 3-5 times a week in HK but still remains fair.

i'm not too worried about getting darker/tan, however, i dont know how else to judge the effectiveness of a sunblock! just figured if it prevents me from tanning, hopefully it will aid in keeping the wrinkles and skin cancer away.

^_^

Comment

Originally posted by saresha
                  Generally speaking, chemical sunscreens are absorbed and physical sunscreens just sit on the skin. ... Btw, did you know there are Japanese blotting papers with a low SPF?
                  Thank you very much, Saresha!

Comment

Originally posted by snowstar
                    just figured if it prevents me from tanning, hopefully it will aid in keeping the wrinkles and skin cancer away.
                    Oh absolutely! A tan indicates damage, however slight. You could invest in a cute hat

Comment

Is this Sunkiller Clear Water or Sunkiller Powder-In-Milk sunscreen?

Edited: cos the image is not longer available.
                      Last edited by candeecake; 27-02-2004, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by snowstar
                        thanks saresha =) i definitely put on more than 2/5 teaspoon for my face. for my arms, i squeeze 2 - 3 lines of sunkiller down the length.

like you say, Avene is sticky and that's why i changed to sunkiller. will look up the lancome before deciding =) my sis uses avene and she goes to the beach 3-5 times a week in HK but still remains fair.

i'm not too worried about getting darker/tan, however, i dont know how else to judge the effectiveness of a sunblock! just figured if it prevents me from tanning, hopefully it will aid in keeping the wrinkles and skin cancer away.^_^
                        I have to agree that Avene is . I used this on my face during my OBS trip, which involved kayaking in the hot sun for over 12 hours amongst other activities. Though i did get more tanned, at least I didn't burn or flake.

I applied Sunplay to my body, and there was a stark difference in the tan of my face and body (body was much darker!).

But Avene is sticky sticky

Comment

Chris, that should be Clear Water.

Comment

But according to this website:
                            http://www.sunkiller.jp/main_P/syouh..._itiran_P2.htm

seems like it's Powder-In-Milk :huh:

Translation website: http://babelfish.altavista.com

Comment

But I have used both the darker blue cap and the light blue cap one before..... dark blue cap - Clear water; light blue cap - clear water with powder (presence of menthol). Wait a minute... unless I got these two mixed up I need to go home and check the bottle on my dressing table!

Comment

Vonnie, let me know That's what i though too, but when I double check on the SG and JP websites, I got confused.

Comment

Working...
                                X