No announcement yet.

Sunscreen talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh dear, just as I am happily settling down with my new found Avene emulsion sunblock (and even introduced to my friends!), now they are going to change the formulation.

Chiaberry, so now the other recomended sunblocks would be those from LRP and L'Oreal (the one with SPF 50)... ?

By the way, do you have any comments on sunblock by Lancaster ? I am intrigued as they started off making sunblocks for the royalty..

Comment

• Originally posted by juljul9 View Post
      Edit-
      I guess this is still the old ingredients? I wonder if I should stock up. Hmm..
      Yes, old ingredients.

Pls stock up if you like it. The feedback I have on the new one is not so encouraging and a sunscreen formulator who looked at the new ingredients is not that impressed by the new list either (not from the UV protection view point but from the texture view point).

Comment

• Originally posted by lakopiO View Post
        Oh dear, just as I am happily settling down with my new found Avene emulsion sunblock (and even introduced to my friends!), now they are going to change the formulation.

Chiaberry, so now the other recomended sunblocks would be those from LRP and L'Oreal (the one with SPF 50)... ?

By the way, do you have any comments on sunblock by Lancaster ? I am intrigued as they started off making sunblocks for the royalty..

If getting the LRP please please do double check the exact version of UVIDEA that doesn't have avobenzone. Take down the ingredients list from the previous post by a kind cotter who listed them down. Heliocare GEL is also on the recommended list for non-avobenzone sunscreens.

I am not sure about Lancaster. I seem to think that their ss are not stable. But anyway I don't have much interest in the counter brands bec I find that they are over-priced for the protection that they offer. So...unless the texture is very wonderful.....I wouldn't spend the money on it....and so far, I don't think there's any counter brand ss with such wonderful texture that I would consider forking out the $$$ for it.

Comment

• chiaberry, did you notice any difference in the texture of the flip-top and new pump versions (both old non-avo)? i dunno if i'm imagining, but i thought i founind the new pump one sinks in to that sem-matte finish faster, and thought it might be related to the pump dispensing system being able to disperse more evenly that you mentioned.

Originally posted by chiaberry View Post
          Yes, old ingredients.

Pls stock up if you like it. The feedback I have on the new one is not so encouraging and a sunscreen formulator who looked at the new ingredients is not that impressed by the new list either (not from the UV protection view point but from the texture view point).
          but, the new formula has enhanced protection?
          Last edited by happybean; 16-04-2010, 04:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by happybean View Post
            chiaberry, did you notice any difference in the texture of the flip-top and new pump versions (both old non-avo)? i dunno if i'm imagining, but i thought find the new pump one sinks in/mattifies faster, and thought it might be related to the pump dispensing system being able to disperse more evenly that you mentioned.

but, the new formula has enhanced protection, i assume?
            Yes, I believe the pump dispenser gives better dispersion of the Tinosorb M so it is more uniform in texture (less white flakings) and seems to give a smoother/less oily finish. The ingredients list looked the same when I compared them.

I am not absolutely certain that the new formula has enhanced protection since Avene don't state their PPD (unlike LRP and Bioderma).

I think Avene were crazy to reformulate since that version (I have used since 2007) was very popular.

Comment

• does anyone know how to check the expiry date for the avene emulsion sunscreen? I cant remember when i bought it and i cant find the box too! i applied it today and waited for 30mins before applying my mineral foundation. But my foundation caked up so badly, and there are small residue of the sunscreen on some parts of my face even though i alrdy applied and blend it properly! Duno wats wrong with my method of application..

Comment

• ^^ the expiry date is on the crimp of the tube, behind, iirc.

Comment

• I can't seemed to find Sunkiller sunscreens anywhere in Singapore. Be it watsons, guardian pharmacy, japanese pharmacy etc.

Please let me know if any of you gals see it on our shelves here. Thanks lots!

Comment

• Originally posted by snowy103 View Post
                    does anyone know how to check the expiry date for the avene emulsion sunscreen? I cant remember when i bought it and i cant find the box too! i applied it today and waited for 30mins before applying my mineral foundation. But my foundation caked up so badly, and there are small residue of the sunscreen on some parts of my face even though i alrdy applied and blend it properly! Duno wats wrong with my method of application..
                    Is this the old non-pump packaging? You have to shake the tube a lot before pouring it out. And you should pour it onto yr palm or finger, then use the other hand's finger to stir it around before applying on yr face. Don't apply straight from the tube. If you have left it lying around a long time, the physical sunscreen part (Tinosorb M) tends to separate from the rest of the ingredients and needs shaking/stirring to get it evenly dispersed back into the emulsion.

Comment

• Originally posted by ibonne View Post
                      I can't seemed to find Sunkiller sunscreens anywhere in Singapore. Be it watsons, guardian pharmacy, japanese pharmacy etc.

Please let me know if any of you gals see it on our shelves here. Thanks lots!
                      have u tried the jap pharmacy at Isetan scotts? I used to get it from there! Let me know when you've found cos ive been wanting to repurchase!
                      I just bought the shishedo anessa! Expensive! 60ml for $57!

Comment

• Ok I forgot about that japanese pharmacy at Isetan Scotts. Will try there.

I have tried to email to the distributor from the kissme.com.sg to enquiry but no answer yet. Hopefully it's not some product recall or something.

Comment

• Finally got my Le Tan Mineral Sunscreen (both the face and body versions) =D

Tried the Face one on half of my face and the Body one on the other half at home today, just to check for any bad reactions. One piece of bad news; the Face version stung my eyes badly and caused watering, similar to the reaction I got from Natural Instinct sunscreen. The Body one did not cause this reaction though.

First impression of Le Tan Mineral Face:
                          The texture of the Face one is super duper light! It applies like a dream and dries to an almost matte finish rather quickly. It is much much less greasy than water-resistant zinc-oxide sunscreens, and thus i find that the Zinc Oxide particles stick to my skin better and don't move around with the grease. Therefore, also easier to get an even application over the skin.

Preservatives in Le Tan Mineral Face:
                          Phenoxyethanol, Diazolidinylurea

First impression of Le Tan Mineral Body:
                          Seems to be slightly less greasy than Cancer Council Classic and Natural Instinct. Nothing much to report at the moment.

Preservatives in Le Tan Mineral Body:
                          Phenoxyethanol, Hydroxybenzoates, Benzyl Alcohol

Do note that my initial test of these 2 sunscreens are done on bare skin with only 2 layers patted and slightly spread on face, as I was merely checking for reactions. I will be giving a second review after wearing each of the sunscreens out for a day, with my usual skincare routine and attempting to apply the proper amount.

Tomorrow, I will be testing the Face sunblock, with the Body one for the eye area. I can't get the Face version within a 1cm radius around my eyes or I'll start to feel my eyes getting irritated

Forgot to add: These 2 sunscreens definitely leave a more obvious white cast as compared to Cancer Council Classic and Natural instinct. I might try mixing in a little of my Buttery Gold mineral powder from Silk Naturals if i feel the need. I'm actually quite fair (za 20), but since i have yellow undertones, a too-white cast might look a little weird perhaps. :p
                          Last edited by angelhearts; 17-04-2010, 09:16 PM.

Comment

• angelhearts: Check the preservative of the Natural Instinct. Perhaps it is the diazolidinylurea that's causing the reaction in yr eyes. It is a formaldehyde-releasing preservative and some ppl may be sensitive to the formaldehyde. I note that the Body version doesn't contain it. Uses parabens as preservative instead.

I'm afraid the stronger white cast is a consequence of the non-nanoparticle zinc oxide. I think the Natural Instinct one has nanoparticles. They did not reply to my email regarding this matter and they haven't got themselves on the list of sunscreens that does not use nanoparticles (compiled by Friends of the Earth).
                            Last edited by chiaberry; 18-04-2010, 12:03 AM.

Comment

• hello! i am new here... and i realised that all of you are extremely knowledgeable!

i have a few questions regarding sunscreen.. i have oily, sensitive, acne prone skin just as a background

1. i've tried bioderma photoderm akn mat SPF40+. the texture was beautiful, matte etc etc BUT it made me break out terribly! like by the end of the day i'd have pimples all over. my question is since all euro sunscreens are rather similar, should i NOT try anymore euro sunscreens???? its sooo expensive to buy sth and not use it...

2. any sunscreen recommendations for my skin type??

3. what do u guys think of estee lauder cyberwhite ex UV protector?? i cant get an ingredient list, but i received a sample of it recently and it did not make me break out!!!

thanks for the help ..

Comment

• Originally posted by begiority View Post
                                hello! i am new here... and i realised that all of you are extremely knowledgeable!

what do u guys think of estee lauder cyberwhite ex UV protector?? i cant get an ingredient list, but i received a sample of it recently and it did not make me break out!!!

thanks for the help ..
                                It's not possible to know if you will have the same reaction to all euro sunscreens or not. Since your skin type is like that and the estee lauder one doesn't break you out, perhaps you should stick with it. If you can get an ingredients list, I can check it out for you.

(btw sometimes it takes a whole tube to know if it breaks you out or not. You may be OK with he sample but won't know for sure until you get the full size).

Comment

Working...
                                X