Sunscreen talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• superBum:

Biore Perfect Face Milk is not oil-based (has no oils) so by default it could be "water-based". To be honest, I am not sure how people define "water-based", I take it to mean oil-free.

The sunblock is OK for everyday use. Its protection is average. If you want something with higher protection, consider La Roche Posay Fluide Extreme SPF50. (not compatible with make up). For sports or outdoor activities, you should use LRP rather than Biore.

Not sure why your face is shiny and sticky. As far as I remember, the Phloretin is watery and sinks in quite well. Perhaps you are using too much? You should be using no more than 2 to 3 drops for the whole face. When you bought it, you should have asked the promoter to give you a sample bottle of any of the vit C serums so that you can transfer to the small bottle and use it. The dropper dispenses less so you can control the amount of serum used more precisely. I find that the large dropper dispenses too much in one go.

Comment

• Thanks Chiaberry for the advice. Perhaps you are right, I might be using too much because of the large dropper. The promoter gave me a sample bottle of the retexturing activator to try . I will transfer the CF to the empty sample bottle then. So skinceuticals CF must go with water base or oil free product? Can't I use other sunblocks I have? Will a non oil free or non water based sunblock affects the results for the CF? Really want to maximize the benefits of the CF cos is so expensive but at the same time I don't want my face to feel too sticky.

Comment

• superBum:

Use a pH-balanced cleanser (eg QV Gentle Wash) or acidic wash (eg Lactacyd original formula). Do not use toner (the lesser products on your skin before the vit C the better. Wait 5 mins after applying the vit C before using other products. Either water- or oil-based moisturiser or sunscreen will be alright - shouldn't affect the vit C.

Comment

• Thanks Chiaberry for the reply again. You have been a really great help to all of us. I guess I can only use my favorite rose toner at night then though I really love to use toners cos it make me feel so fresh and clean.

Comment

• Chiaberry,

I'll be going to the Laura Mercier workshop at Sephora this weekend, and I'll be getting some products. Can you advise which of their face make-up is versatile enough in a sense that it can be used with any sunscreen? Currently I am using the LRP Athelios XL SPF50 & the Bioderma Spray Photoderm SPF50 (both cannot use with make-up that has SPF).

I know the raved Tinted Moisturizer has octinoxate which will make the SS unstable (correct me if i'm wrong, this is the ingredient that can be harmful as it can be absorbed into the body & cause some health issues right?). If I still decide to get the LM TM, what SS can I consider getting?

I was wondering then if the Mineral Powder/Pressed Powder will be better? Will it make my 2 current SS unstable? For mineral make-up in general, I'm not sure which ingredients I should look out for.

Thanks!

Comment

• mangoTea:

Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser: yes it has octinoxate. The ss you can consider were listed before: LRP Uvidea XL, Vichy Pro-Secure, Heliocare gel and Korres Yoghurt. Or you can get a Jap sunscreen like Hada Labo's or a high zinc oxide sunscreen like Elemental Herbs (from iHerb.com - Vitamins, Supplements & Natural Health Products - this is not water-resistant but fine for everyday wear).

I would rate Octinoxate less potentially problematic from the health view point than oxybenzone. It is still acceptable as long as it's not in lip stick or lip balm (to me anyway....I might be kiasu).

As an alternative, if they sell the Tarte brand in Sephora, the Tarte Smooth Operator tinted moisturiser is compatible with the LRP/Bioderma ss (it has physical blockers in a silicone base).

Makeup Forever HD Invisible Cover foundation is also compatible with all ss.

For Mineral Powder/Pressed Powder, it should be silicone-based (dimethicone or other chemicals ending with -cone included). Bare Minerals not suitable for your ss. Jane Iredale is fine (the Amazing Base loose powder or pressed powder - anyway I feel that JI has a better choice of colours). If going for mineral powder foundation, look for no octinoxate and some -cones in the ingredients.

For those who were fans of Aromaleigh foundation, I gather that they are back under a different brand name (I forget what it is but you can google for it). I like their choice of colours and the finish for their silicone-based foundations (formerly called Glissade).

Comment

• My current sunscreen seem to be very thick!
                I feel that it will clog my pores but on the other hand it is water proof.
                Don't know if I should continue to use it. =.=

Comment

• Hi all, ive been a silent reader of the forum and ive learnt so much from this thread thanks to chiaberry and other regular members as well. I've got a question as to whether I am wearing enough sunscreen. I work 9am-6pm in an office, will 2 walls of 3/4-height windows, in fact my office lights rarely turned on, i can rely on natural lighting. Im also walking outside under the morning sun before 9am, and for abt 1 hr during lunch.

Am i wearing enough SS? I use 1.25mls of SS in the morning before leaving home. I use:
                  (1) Bioderma spray spf50 -- 400mls I use 1 spray
                  (2) heliocare gel spf50 -- i almost finish this. Its the old version one. Chiaberry, is there a newer better version of this? Where else can get this other than rest hosp pharmacies?

Do i need to reapply my SS? Thank you!

Comment

• swoooonme:

No need to re-apply for either ss.

I am not sure where are the alternative sources of Heliocare ss. You can consider online purchase. For example, from tubotica's International Online Pharmacy (Spanish pharmacy).

Comment

• swoooonme:

No need to re-apply for either ss.

I am not sure where are the alternative sources of Heliocare ss. You can consider online purchase. For example, from tubotica's International Online Pharmacy (Spanish pharmacy).

It's the Heliocare Fusion Gel.

Comment

• I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but I recently bought the enavose sunscreen spray. I think it's quite new but I like that i can reapply it throughout the day just by spraying it on. I really hate reapplying lotions/creams on my face midway through the day. I feel like I'm just clogging my pores!

I try to avoid going in the sun though! so i'm not really sure how effective it is. :x

Comment

• a

Originally posted by chiaberry View Post
                          Hada Labo SPF50 or Sunplay Water Kids Low Sensitivity SPF50.

If your skin can take the alcohol and you like the Biore ss, then stick to the original one (in blue bottle) or the purple one. The Aqua Rich range are disappointing. Their protection is inferior to the original ones.

Good antioxidant serums are expensive. For oily skin, I think the "best" in terms of effectiveness and non-greasiness is Skinceuticals Phloretin CF but it's $$$ However the bottle can last a long time if you use it alternate days and sparingly. See if there is discount on at the restructured hospital pharmacies and get a small sample bottle from the SA so that you can keep the main bottle in the fridge and pour out a smaller amount into the sample bottle for daily use.
                          Hi hi, you mean the Biore - UV Aqua Rich Watery Mousse SPF 50+ protection is inferior? I have been alternating biore perfect face milk and aqua rich watery mousse recently. So if it is inferior, biore perfect face milk is better in terms of the protection?
                          Last edited by superBum; 13-10-2012, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by superBum View Post
                            Hi hi, you mean the Biore - UV Aqua Rich Watery Mousse SPF 50+ protection is inferior? I have been alternating biore perfect face milk and aqua rich watery mousse recently. So if it is inferior, biore perfect face milk is better in terms of the protection?
                            Zinc oxide used in the biore perfect face milk is a more reliable broad spectrum UVA and UVB blocker than the chemical blockers used for UVA protection in the UV Aqua Rich Watery Mousse. Do you notice any difference in the texture/white cast etc between the two?

Comment

• Hi Chiaberry, the aqua rich has no white cast for me at all while the perfect face milk has a very very slight white cast. Texture of the aqua rich suncreen is really quite similar to RMK suncreen. Very nice to use, slightly lighter texture than RMK and a fraction of the price. I remember that you rated RMK suncreen as decent so I thought since the texture is so similar, Aqua Rich should be decent enough to use too. So overall, is it still okay to use or should I just finished whatever I've and continue my RMK and biore perfect milk?

Thanks a lot!

Comment

• Hi Chiaberry, the aqua rich has no white cast for me at all while the perfect face milk has a very very slight white cast. Texture of the aqua rich suncreen is really quite similar to RMK suncreen. Very nice to use, slightly lighter texture than RMK and a fraction of the price. I remember that you rated RMK suncreen as decent so I thought since the texture is so similar, Aqua Rich should be decent enough to use too. So overall, is it still okay to use or should I just finished whatever I've and continue my RMK and biore perfect milk?

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Working...
                                X