No announcement yet.

Singapore National Skin Centre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any cotters went there for Milia seed removal? How much is their charges? TIA

Comment

Experience at NSC

I had bad breakouts on my right cheeks since August 2006. Was really upset & frustrated & finally went to the National Skin Centre to seek help in March 2007.

I was a private patient paying S$54 for consultation. I booked my appointment online so there was no hassle altogether. I chose my own doc & timing too.

1st visit Doc put me on oral Anti-biotics & gave me a day & night cream to apply both of which caused peelings at first. He told me to stay off ANY concealers & products that contained OIL. I was also to stay off Facials. I also had to stay off Toner. At first I was unsure about skipping my expensive skincare products BUT I did as instructed. He told me if the conditions did not improve he would recommend that I do a chemical peel.

3 months after 1st visit, I was back for 2nd review. Skin had really cleared & improved. My skin color also got better & not so dull-looking. My dosage on Anti-biotics was then also reduced & I am keeping my fingers crossed for the maintenance after that. He said I do not need to do a chemical peel looking at my progress.

Its tricky as in between I had a photo shoot which the MUA used a cream foundation on me & my 'hotspot' on the right-cheek flared up the next day & took about a week to recover!

My next visit is 27 July. I may be taken off oral Anti-Biotics completely then...

My take is, if you are really facing skin problem.. seek help early. It took me 10 months to decide to seek help. I must have been unhappy during those times.. feeling embarrassed & ugly! I heard different reviews of NSC initially some good & others negative BUT i had to start somewhere & i didnt know any other dermatologist.

Now i switch to using Oil-Free liquid foundation & no concealers at all.. i dont need concealers.

Now I AM HAPPY.... My Doc at NSC is Dr Melvin Ee. I picked him randomly from the website. His skin is really flawless too.
      Last edited by SMOKEYeyes; 15-07-2007, 09:39 PM.

Comment

SMOKEYeyes,

I was assigned Dr. Melvi Ee too! Is he nice?

Comment

smokyeyes, wad brand of oil-free foundation are you using? my acne condition has persist for 2years already. finally plucked up the courage to see a doctor. i am going for my consultation at NSC tomorrow. so nervous!

Comment

lyuira & angel_mei

I dont know if Dr Melivin is good BUT he did helped me improve my conditions .. I guess this is more of case-to-case?

I am now using Lancome Teint Idole Ultra Oil-Free.. I guess what suits me doesnt mean it may suit others,, best is trial & error until you find one that best suits your condition. Dr Melvin did discourage makeup but i told him I need to wear them as I work in Fashion & Beauty... Maybe if i had stayed clear totally.. it would have been completely healed?

Initial application of the creams did caused ugly peelings & dry patches so these are conditions to endure... but of course saw results after & then now feeling all are worth it.

Sigh.. anything about skin.. cannot ignore or pretend it will get better. I waited for 10 months because I kept telling myself it will get better... SO.. must seek help early.

Some of my friends said NSC is not good.. I guess its all case to case too. we all have to go through it to judge. I am happy with my experience so far though my purse is hurting.. ehhehe
            Last edited by SMOKEYeyes; 16-07-2007, 10:41 AM.

Comment

i guess it is really case to case basis. but it would be good if you have a fixed doctor like SMOKEYeyes. i used to be a NSC patient too. but cheapo me, i went thru referral from polyclinic. thus, i met different doctor during each visit.

some doctors are good & really go into details, whereas, there is this female doctor whom i dreaded.. she even advised me to go thru the pharmacy to get my cleanser & cream directly instead of making an appointment to visit a doctor for followups. she dont even bother to take a 2nd look at my skin when i told her i need something stronger.

after a year or so, i stopped visiting NSC as my clogged pores didnt really improved and the appointment is so hard to fix since they're only opened during office hours.

Comment

Agreed.

Stick to one doctor so that they would have had your record for reference. I emphasized case-to-case because initially I also heard bad feedbacks on NSC thats why all the delays.

So if one person's bad experience doesn't mean it is not good for others. Trial & Error! Most of the time, time is wasted on waiting for review, feedbacks from friends & colleagues etc...

Of course one must follow instructions closely too.. no point blaming or branding them good or bad when we ourselves are not faithfully doing as instructed. Though i am paying more as a private patient, i am still glad i went to seek help.

Whenever I have to visit NSC, I would take half a day off before going to work. I book appointment online & reach NSC punctually, my waiting time is less than half an hour... guess this could be case-to-case too as I always booked morning appointments when delays are less significant.
                Last edited by SMOKEYeyes; 16-07-2007, 03:12 PM.

Comment

I agree Melvin Ee is good. He was my doc too.........

Yes, he has very very nice skin!

Comment

I have this rather stupid question.

I always had the impression that NSC was for people with real skin problems. Like really bad acne or scars, or exzema...

But I have a bit of acne scars, dark circles under eyes, dull-ish looking skin, a bit too oily, no major break-outs.

Should I still go to NSC or will private aesthetics clinics be more suitable for me?

Comment

i went NSC already. my condition was quite bad i thought. but my doctor said i did not need anitbiotics. and he said i do not have to come back for a follow-up. just need to come back to collect a second round of the medicine. n the consultation took less than 5 min. i hope my condition will really get better. the doctor made the whole ting sound too simple already. makes me worry...

Comment

I also get the impression that NSC is for people with 'real' skin problems. That seems to be the case in the government/public clinics, generally speaking, though I do come across very nice and sincere doctors now and then.

The Mandalay Laser Clinic (the private clinic at NSC) has IPL from about $400 and above, EXCLUDING doctor's consultation fees, which aren't that cheap. Thought that most private clinics would offer IPL at $300 for a package deal?
                        Last edited by lladyrain; 21-07-2007, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by angel_mei View Post
                          i went NSC already. my condition was quite bad i thought. but my doctor said i did not need anitbiotics. and he said i do not have to come back for a follow-up. just need to come back to collect a second round of the medicine. n the consultation took less than 5 min. i hope my condition will really get better. the doctor made the whole ting sound too simple already. makes me worry...
                          Angel_mei,
                          I believe that we need to shop for right doctors, like you would shop for shoes that fit really well. And unfortunately, it's impossible to tell if it will fit/work for you until you buy it.

I went to places that my friends recommended and was disappointed.
                          Likewise, I once recommended a doctor to a friend and that doctor ended up insulting her really badly, so that she had a nervous breakdown.

So, I'll probably give NSC a try. There were good reviews about Dr. Melvi Ee. I hope he will not tell me that my skin is fine, because it is so not, but I don't have much visible damage, because apparently, I can control my condition; but I'd like to know if there are other options, better than what I know of at the moment.

Comment

would like to find out if anyone has mole removed by any of the doc in NSC?

If so, could recommend your doctor?
                            thanks!

Comment

i'm currently with NSC, consulting different MO every visit. so far the MO i came across are quite friendly. they do say it's look okay, not that bad. but it's sounds good if your skin really improve.

i went for back problems, pimples and acne, and the MO are nice to comment and advice for my face too.

it depends on which MO assist you. there's this male MO who said my condition had improve and i could be discharge the next visit. but when i'm back, the other female MO didnt discharge me, instead arrange to see me in another 2 months.
                              i personally think the female MO are more understanding compared to the male MO.

i wanted oral medication for faster healing, but was rejected. was told it's a 6 months course and will have side effect. anyone took oral med and encounter side effect?

Comment

Originally posted by shan View Post
                                i'm currently with NSC, consulting different MO every visit. so far the MO i came across are quite friendly. they do say it's look okay, not that bad. but it's sounds good if your skin really improve.

i went for back problems, pimples and acne, and the MO are nice to comment and advice for my face too.

it depends on which MO assist you. there's this male MO who said my condition had improve and i could be discharge the next visit. but when i'm back, the other female MO didnt discharge me, instead arrange to see me in another 2 months.
                                i personally think the female MO are more understanding compared to the male MO.

i wanted oral medication for faster healing, but was rejected. was told it's a 6 months course and will have side effect. anyone took oral med and encounter side effect?
                                I haven't, but heard of some people to whom it was prescribed (you mean roaccutane?) and who did not complete the course because of side-effects, or fear that they would have them. Because in some people side-effects are severe and involve liver and kidneys, or so I heard. So doctors prescribe oral medicine as a matter of last resort.

Another oral medicine is steroids, if I'm not wrong. These are used to suppress inflamnation, not to reduce oil production, have less side-effects, but I'm not sure if they are used to treat acne.
                                Last edited by lyuira; 19-07-2007, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X