Denims expand, right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denims expand, right?

I've always wondered what kinda size I should buy when it comes to denim stuff (jeans, shorts, skirts...). Should I buy the size that's just right or get a size smaller because it'll eventually expand? Then again, do ALL denims expand? And by how much?

Recently bought a pair of denim shorts from DCP. really cool but I decided to get a size smaller, hence it's a little tight for comfort right now. I'm hoping it'll eventually expand.. :roll:

after wash and wear, it'll probably expand. my levis jeans can attest to that.

Comment

I think they expand abit after you wear it a few times...but after washing it's back to square one again

Comment

Most SAs I've met have advised me to buy 1 size down when it comes to denim jeans...not that I ever bought any in the end.... ...

A lot also depends on the brand. SEVEN jeans are notorious for becoming real baggy after a few washes. The Belle SA was moaning to me about her saggy bum since her Sevens started stretching.

Generally styles with a bit of stretch hold their shape much better, so you should take your normal size. Non-stretch denim will lose shape faster.

Comment

-- deleted ---
          Last edited by denise; 09-09-2008, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Jae,
            I usually handwash my jeans and all clothes, for that matter, and it doesnt seem to expand much.

Hmm... like Pan said, buy 1 size down lor.
            Pan is the true image consultant here, rightie Pan?

Comment

I will always get one size smaller or same size. Like what the girls have said, the jeans will expand esp the butt area.

Comment

Hm mine's the normal denim kind and I do hope it'll expand.. the reason why i didn't get the okay fit was coz there was some excess cloth at the..uh..crotch area... then one size down is a tight perfect fit.... so... :huh:

Comment

Originally posted by Hunny
                  Hmm... like Pan said, buy 1 size down lor.
                  Pan is the true image consultant here, rightie Pan?
                  Eeeks! No no no....dont quote me on that....I'm an obasan....my dress sense very different from you SYTs...

Comment

*sigh* yup, denims expand. My Levis 593 expanded and became somewhat saggy after a few washes. I know the SAs advise us to buy 1 size smaller, but ehh, what am I supposed to do with the too-tight jeans ? Just toss 'em into the washing machine to wash a few rounds till they expand ?

Comment

i reckon it depends on the brand and material.

100% cotton jeans tend to expand. my levis definitely expand after a few days of wear.

stretch jeans otoh, are better are retaining their shape. material would be a cotton mix i think?

Comment

Originally posted by Gemz
                        what am I supposed to do with the too-tight jeans ? Just toss 'em into the washing machine to wash a few rounds till they expand ?
                        I guess must wear and wear and wash and wash!! my 599 jeans were like that too. I wore them to death and now they're saggy. bleah.

Comment

Originally posted by Jae
                          I guess must wear and wear and wash and wash!! my 599 jeans were like that too. I wore them to death and now they're saggy. bleah.
                          LOL ! but i've got big hips ! 1 size smaller means I can't zip it up no matter how I huff and puff The one that fits exactly when I try it on expands after 3-4 washes and gets saggy. *sighhhh*

Comment

If you gals have access to a clothes dryer then dump your expanded jeans in it. It will shrink it back to the original tight fit.

I had to use a dryer back in the states and my jeans were always a perfect fit no matter how many times I wash them. Now back in SG there's no dryer at home...so yes ...sigh... my jeans have expanded.

Comment

Kelly, my denim not only retains the original size, it shrinks 1 to 1 1/2 size! Nowadays when I buy clothes, I no longer know what size to buy, because I am not sure whether they shrink, and by how much.. :roll:

BTW, my dryer shrinks my levis by 1 and 1/2 sizes, so eg, if I buy a pair of size 25, it becomes 23.5!

Comment

Working...
                              X