Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Sari

hey dears! :wave:

i'm planning to get all sorts of "ethnic costumes" done to wear to my formal functions in London. First up's a sari! Would anyone by any chance know of a good shop to go to?

I'm looking for some place affordable (read cheap) and helpful, since my friend and i would be completely clueless. Thanks!

Hi Xue,
    Take a walk down little india. I got a sari for racial harmony day once and was quite amazed at what nice pieces they have at little india that we can mix and match for daily wear.
    I remembered my friend got her beautiful piece for less then $20.
    I'm in search for some skirts that they wear under saris... as recommended by annabelle francis(when she was pregnant)in mag, says they match nicely with tubes and all..
    Wanna make a trip down with me ?

Comment

i'm actually going sari shopping with my "sister-in-law" this wed! but i won't mind going again with you. all things ethnic intrigue me these days, especially indian earrings!

you have my number and i have yours right?

Comment

Ok, i don't have your no, Xue. Maybe u can sms me when u're free. Anyway, do tell us bout your loot on Wednesday and we shall see if u still need to do more 'sari-shopping'?

Comment

ok! will pass you my number pronto.

Comment

Xue, i can imagine you will looking very good wearing Sari. Tall, slim with a great body.
            This thread reminded me that i have a Punjabi hanging in my wardrobe in Singapore. Never had a chance to wear.

Comment

Yeap! definitely Little India Xue! :thumps: bought a gorgeous blueish silver sari from there a while back for $25, i think...no chance to wear it though plus i think i forgot how to wear it! :huh:

Comment

Hehehe... my impression of wearing a sari was to just wrap, wrap and wrap . Like in the shower, just with a really long towel. Or at least that was how i did mine last time.

Comment

i finally got my sari done! we walked around lots cos my friend and i were both completely clueless, but we finally managed to find a store with a very helpful and friendly lady boss. after talking lots (and taking even more photos together! along with a random other customer buying an outfit for his son ), we realised her children were from the same schools as us, with common friends, and we had even lived in the same condo! what a coincidence!

sari wrapping is super "cheem" (complicated) :sotong: must practise lots!

Comment

PS> Fiona, Sharon's a total indian-stuff fanatic! she's offered to go to Little India with us - interested?

Comment

That will be great. So where did u do your sari shopping today?

Comment

this really cool store - Dakshaini Silks, run by Auntie Rani. it really is an incredibly small world! my bf knows her daughter! ]

she's really helpful, though i suspect not very competitive wrt prices

Comment

Originally posted by ataraxia
                          PS> Fiona, Sharon's a total indian-stuff fanatic! she's offered to go to Little India with us - interested?
                          yes yes i went nuts when i was in Bangalore.... :thumps:

Comment

wow, you've been there??

my bf's telling me that he'll drag me down to india soon during one of our trips and i'm scared to death! :sotong: i'm such a prissy fussypot, and i'm so worried about hygiene. doesn't help that my friends keep telling me horror stories :sotong:

i can't wait to talk to you on friday!

Comment

Originally posted by ataraxia
                              wow, you've been there??

my bf's telling me that he'll drag me down to india soon during one of our trips and i'm scared to death! :sotong: i'm such a prissy fussypot, and i'm so worried about hygiene. doesn't help that my friends keep telling me horror stories :sotong:

i can't wait to talk to you on friday!
                              was there for work / training. actually got nothing much to tell you except the weather there is gorgeous...

there's this govt-approved shop - can't remember it's name, oh they sell the most beautiful things!!! i snapped up 4 satin cloth embroidered pochettes, they were beautiful and cheap!! i have 2 left, gave the other 2 away. i would've bought 10 more but they only had 4 left maybe on friday if i remember to bring it along i show you...

bangalore is actually a very lovely place to visit, other parts of india not as clean and nice

i actually stayed in the hostel of the company that sells milk and biscuits and lots of other stuff, it's very famous, a household name, can't remember the name for now.. time

ok ok see you friday...

Comment

Working...
                              X