Peranakan Heritage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peranakan Heritage

I really love the beaded shoes and the sarong Kabaya of the Straits Chinese so much so that I wanted to learn how to make those shoes Its so coincidental that I read in the Straits Times of the lady, Bebe Seet-Wong that is conducting those lessons in her shop in East Coast.

So, I went in search of 'Peranakan' things and I came across the website they put up to promote Peranakan Culture. Inside are also several sites for their Shoes and Sarong Kabayas

The Peranakan Association

I came across these shoes in one of the websites, it may be a bit 'auntish' but I still like it

if you do happen to go to malacca, they have tons of beaded shoes there. i bought most of mine there. my mum, sis and me had a craze for a while. do go for the ones with the open toe. the closed toe types are a bit hard to walk in.

my mum also learnt the art of making beaded shoes from Bebe. her sarong kebayas are beautiful. my mum and aunties had theirs all tailored made in singapore. i'll put up a contact after i ask my mum. the kebaya tops are so exquisite. it'll probably set you back by around $300-500, depending on the extent of embriodery done.

Comment

Originally posted by michannat
      my mum also learnt the art of making beaded shoes from Bebe. her sarong kebayas are beautiful. my mum and aunties had theirs all tailored made in singapore. i'll put up a contact after i ask my mum. the kebaya tops are so exquisite. it'll probably set you back by around $300-500, depending on the extent of embriodery done.
      I think for that amount it is quite reasonable for handmade ones BTW, how much did your mom pay for her lessons??

Comment

OT here but teiko, I am surprised by your interest in the peranakan stuff. Are you a peranakan yourself?

Comment

Nope but I am intrigue by beautiful stuff

Comment

I wouldnt dare to wear it myself but I can imagine those tai-tais from Indonesia wearing it

Comment

Teiko, I wanted to learn how to make those beaded shoes for a long time. I went to Bebe Seet's shop last year. The things in her shop are so pretty but a tad expensive. The last time I asked, she was charging around $280 for 5 sessions. That's not inclusive of turning your beaded embroidery into the shoe. Besides shoes, she conducts lessons for bags and belts making too.

I bought 2 pairs of these shoes from Icon @ Emerald. Not sure if that shop is still open.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimples
                The last time I asked, she was charging around $280 for 5 sessions. That's not inclusive of turning your beaded embroidery into the shoe. Besides shoes, she conducts lessons for bags and belts making too.
                Wow! $280 for 5 lessons!! I hope her beads and stuff are of good quality. They are inclusive in the whopping price right??

My friend's mom also helped me made a pair and just to get the beading part on the shoe will cost minimium $90! The beads she sewed on the shoes are the Japanese ones of angular shapes so that it would reflect light better!! I was looking to order a small bag to match the shoes

Are you interested to go to Bebe, dimples? BTW, how do you get to her shop? Bit way out for me :roll:

Comment

Yup. That's inclusive of all material used during the 5 lessons. I would guess they are the good quality beads - those that are cut and small.

Is her shop still behind the old Katong Police Station? The first time I went to her shop it was at Tay Ban Guan, then it moved to a shop behind old Katong Police Station. I live in the East so getting there is not a problem.

Actually there's this other shop at Siglap Centre teaching beaded shoe making too. That one is charging slightly lesser. I'll try dig out more info.

When do you reckon you'd want to start classes, Teiko?

Comment

Oh err, I will be having my exams in the 1st week of December. So anytime after that will be great! That is if you are still interested

This is her addy that I extracted from the website:

Bebe's Niche
                    86 East Coast Road 01-15/16
                    6247 8781
                    9816 2177

Is the Siglap one in the list?:

Link

Comment

Thanks, Teiko. The shop's still at the same place I visited the last time.

I may be away the last week of December. Wonder if she'll let me make up the lesson if I miss one. Anyway, I'll call up later. She was away in Europe last December and thus did not start any new classes that month.

Comment

Originally posted by teiko
                        I think for that amount it is quite reasonable for handmade ones BTW, how much did your mom pay for her lessons??
                        teiko, will ask mum when i see her. the smaller beads (can't remember the name for then) are really more exquisite but the time taken to make the shoes will be twice as long. the ones in malacca use bigger beads and can look quite rough. you can easily buy designs and beads in malacca too. mum bought hers in singapore. will ask her where she got hers from.

sky, shopping in malaysia. and the peranakan food in malacca is another thing to drool about too.

Comment

"potong" beads? can't really remember too

my uncle sews his own for fun.. in the process of sewing a bag or shoe.. it's pretty but very time consuming and i'm not very patient

Comment

Originally posted by michannat
                            teiko, will ask mum when i see her. the smaller beads (can't remember the name for then) are really more exquisite but the time taken to make the shoes will be twice as long. the ones in malacca use bigger beads and can look quite rough. you can easily buy designs and beads in malacca too. mum bought hers in singapore. will ask her where she got hers from.

sky, shopping in malaysia. and the peranakan food in malacca is another thing to drool about too.
                            Thanks Mich and I would love to go Malacca for shoes/kabayas shopping. Though, I figure I would need a guide though

Comment

I have Peranakan blood in me but sad to say, I can't speak a word of it. Will be taking up Malay lessons soon though and hopes to pick up my heritage soon...

Saw the shop, Bebe's Niche quite sometime back. It sells lotsa authentic Peranakan stuffs. And also heard that there's this shop in Chjimes that makes really nice Kebayas but extremely expensive...

Comment

Working...
                              X