Dress Code - Gala Dinner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dress Code - Gala Dinner

I'll be attending a student volunteer conference in a few weeks time over a weekend. To 'celebrate', they'll be throwing a gala dinner.

Now, the problem is, they didn't state a dress code! For me, gala dinners are usually black-tie events. BUT since this would be largely for students, I'm not sure if that rule still applies. Furthermore, people are generally becoming more casual these days and it's quite common that gala dinners have lounge suits or smart-casual as their dresscodes.

So, the big question is... What should I wear??!!

I only have evening gowns or quite 'sexy' dresses. So I'm stuck. Eeps!

Suggestions would be much appreciated!!!

girl, how about a pantsuit? a la Angelina Jolie -- smart casual masculine chic! or , go with a sexy top and dress pants.

Comment

hey girlie! =) the little black dress is always classic, and very versatile. bet you have a yummy one tucked away somewhere

Comment

Thanks girls!

So I guess the consensus is to go for smart-casual? But I still have no idea how smart to go.

Islande: I love your suggestions! I'll go try searching for a pantsuit, those always come in handy anyway. But that might be a tad difficult to find! I don't have dress pants Hate those! I'm always in cords or jeans. Otherwise, it's skirts/dresses.

Faith: I do! But it's ridiculously revealing! Lace-trimmed v-neck down the front, translucent v-panel down the back, flirty skirt that only comes to mid-thigh. Definitely can't wear this out!

Comment

Originally posted by ataraxia
          \Faith: I do! But it's ridiculously revealing! Lace-trimmed v-neck down the front, translucent v-panel down the back, flirty skirt that only comes to mid-thigh. Definitely can't wear this out!
          is this from sunny ang? it sounds like something which i bought from him too.

Comment

How about borrowing? Perhaps u could ask around if anyone your size has a pair of black slacks... or white pants.. and a crisp white shirt...? then u could jazz it up with heels and some chandelier earrings or an ethnic choker? hmmm... ya, definitely try borrowing someone else's clothes if you dont have the time or money to shop.... afterall, its prob more worthwhile to buy a pantsuit in singapore....

Comment

Originally posted by ataraxia
              Thanks girls!

Faith: I do! But it's ridiculously revealing! Lace-trimmed v-neck down the front, translucent v-panel down the back, flirty skirt that only comes to mid-thigh. Definitely can't wear this out!

*grin* that sounds lovely! a little like a nightgown, but still lovely! OT but where'd you get it from?

Comment

Originally posted by michannat
                is this from sunny ang? it sounds like something which i bought from him too.
                Who else?

Faith: It's just really outrageously sexy. *shakes head* I got it from Sunny Ang, the only place I get dresses now.

Pixash: Yeah, I'll ask around. Hopefully, amongst my friends, we can find a pair of decent pants.

So the unanimous (sic) decision is for a pant suit?? Smart-casual?

Comment

have you asked the others who are going on what they will be wearing? or enquire from the body managing this party? guess they should provide a good idea on what is expected

Comment

i think go with what you are comfortable with
                    i wouldnt think too hard what to wear actually
                    a nice dress will be quite alright with a good pair of nice earrings and a pasmina to go with

probably i am abit old fashioned but it comes to functions, i go for the dress

Comment

hey Xue, i think you'll look ab-fab in a pantsuit l.ah! anyway like Pix suggested, pants and crisp shirt with cool earrings totally work when you are on a budget.

Comment

OK, I caved in today and asked my coordinator. Thankfully she's quite a girly girl too! When I told her I had nothing to wear, she went, 'Great excuse to shop eh?'

Well, the dresscode is just smart. Anything goes as long as there's no jeans. But most of my clothes are way too casual or too formal, so I'm going to have to go out shopping a little. Anyway, a pantsuit is always handy!

If I can't find it, I'll try to get a dress instead.

Thanks girls!!!

Comment

GUESS WHAT?

This is so hilarious, I just had to share.

After much agonising, my flatmates and I managed to find a skirt and a top from our collections that's both dressy but still stylish. So I thought my little 'fashion crisis' was over.

Today, I received a package from the conference finalising the details.

Guess what?

The Gala Dinner is themed!!!

Better yet, the theme is 'Myths, Legends, and Fairytales'!!

So it's back to standing by our wardrobes thinking hard again. Any more suggestions???

Comment

Fairy!!! You know those neopet faerie, or the faires in Midsummer Night's Dream?? You can be a forest fairy, wth big hair and glitter/shimmer makeup!!

Comment

Originally posted by candeecake
                              Fairy!!! You know those neopet faerie, or the faires in Midsummer Night's Dream?? You can be a forest fairy, wth big hair and glitter/shimmer makeup!!
                              mm! totally agree. but then again lotsa people may go as fairies. so perhaps you should choose some sort of themed fairy. forest fairy (lotsa blue-green -- pull out those Ivy eye kohls!), water fairy (lotsa sky and navy blue) or any other kind of fairy you can think of.

Comment

Working...
                              X