what to wear for graduation ceremony?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to wear for graduation ceremony?

my graduation ceremony will be in a few weeks time. we're supposed to wear blazer, covered shoes.

bought a blazer from Iora. But what should i wear inside my blazer? shirt w skirt? I'm thinking of wearing a nice, elegant, semi-formal dress inside, so that it looks simple yet nice. After graduation can just remove the blazer and still looks okay.

something that looks flowy, in black. similar to bcbg style kinda dress, but bcbg is to ex for my budget.

Anyone has any idea where can i get something like this? Or any other suggestions

It is interesting that you have to wear a blazer for your graduation. Thats so many layers of clothing (dress, blazer and graduation gown?).

I wouldn't wear a flowy dress though, because flowy dress plus gown, probably the look will be very bulky.

For my graduation, we didn't have to wear blazer, I wore pants with shirt and covered shoe. Hee... thought I look smart and I really felt comfortable.

Comment

Go for a dress if you want, but don't wear a flowy one as it won't match too well with the gown. In my opinion, you should aim to look smart and neat when in your graduation gown, not too girly and fussy.

Comment

hi, thanks for the prompt rreply! my graduation is a poly graduation, not uni, so we do not wear the graduation gown.

any idea where can i get a nice dress that wont look weird under a blazer?

Comment

Hi seni, thanks for clarifying. In this case, I would recommend that you get a dress that is fitting and to about knee length so that you will look smart. Somehow, I will never match a flowy or flare skirt/dress with a blazer.

As to where to get such a dress, I'm not sure but you probably can check out G2000 (if you don't want to spend to much). I think they have those career looking fitting dress (next time you can also wear to work).

Comment

Originally posted by naughtygirl
            Hi seni, thanks for clarifying. In this case, I would recommend that you get a dress that is fitting and to about knee length so that you will look smart. Somehow, I will never match a flowy or flare skirt/dress with a blazer.
            i agree, its hard to wear a flowy or flare dress with a blazer, you will probably compromise on looking smart....JMHO.

Comment

In that case, how about wearing a top and skirt/pants instead of a dress. I would go for a pencil skirt or well tailored pants and match it with a pretty cami. When wearing the blazer the cami will be mostly covered up but the pants/pencil skirt will look smart together with the blazer. Then when you remove the blazer, the cami will add a feminine touch to your outfit.

Comment

hi, thanks for all your replies. Guess i'll go look out for pretty pencil skirts and fitting dresses. But they seem so difficult to find.......

Comment

i was told ladies have to wear white long sleeve shirt with black pants of skirt. I'm going to go for pants, then at least can hoist the heavy gown up and run for photo shots!

but i was thinking.. should i wear those wide collor business shirt type or the victorian lacy ones that have hight neck line..which would look better in photos?

Comment

eh... i used a normal looking business shirt and buttoned it all the way up...
                    ~ boring look....

Comment

A girl in my uni wore a cheongsam. It was an interesting choice and she looked fabulous in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Witchery
                        A girl in my uni wore a cheongsam. It was an interesting choice and she looked fabulous in it.
                        a cheongsam under the gown?!! how to walk properly?

Comment

It wasn't that bad. Maybe our gown was designed differently. In any case, she could still move around with ease and didn't look weird at all.

Comment

When I graduated from Uni of Melbourne, my gown was the kind that's open in front, rather than the completely-closed kind that Singaporean universities use. I think it looks nicer in photos! I wore a nice button-down shirt and skirt inside it, because the front of my clothes would be visible.

Comment

Hi,

I'm having my graduation ceremony at the end of the month and I need advice on what to wear underneath my grad robe. I'm thinking of wearing a dress, but is it true that a blouse would be prefered? I know the gown slips during the whole event, are pins really required?

Comment

Working...
                              X