Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarnished accessories

Hi babes!

Can't seem to find a thread on this issue. Please correct and redirect me should there already be one okay?

I recently bought 2 rings.1 from Aldo and 1 from Topshop.
    The aldo one is totally silver. A squarish ring, it was in tiptop condition until now. Which has only been less than a month! Now it looks absolutely unwearable as it looks "dirty". There's no way i can get rid of the mysterious "stains".

Also, my topshop ring, is a gold one. I've only worn it out 4 times and during the latest 2 times, the "inner part" (the entire circumference which touches my finger) starts to tarnish? and leaves a horrid greenish stain on my finger and slowly spreads to other areas. How can I stop this from happening?

You can purchase cleaning cloths from jewelley shops to clean your accessories?

I saw in CK tangs some a jewellry cleaning machines which helps to clean your tarnished accessories.
    Most of the time acessories tarnish due to humidity and oxidation in the air.

Comment

hello tien
      Re: silver aldo ring
      Is this made of 925 silver or just silver colored metal?
      If it's 925 silver, you can use dipping solution, or silver cleaning cloth, purchased at silver shops e.g. perllini

Comment

Originally posted by stilafaux
        You can purchase cleaning cloths from jewelley shops to clean your accessories?

I saw in CK tangs some a jewellry cleaning machines which helps to clean your tarnished accessories.
        Most of the time acessories tarnish due to humidity and oxidation in the air.
        Will it help me clean my ring from Topshop? As the tarnish seems irreversable. I feel as if the ring is getting "skinnier" everytime I wear it. Cos more and more green stuff comes out. Kind of icky, but yeah.

Comment

Should be 925 silver, but I am not sure. Does anyone happen to know what Aldo rings are made of?

But thanks! chocob! any idea how much the solution will cost? at least i can save one ring.

Originally posted by chocob
          hello tien
          Re: silver aldo ring
          Is this made of 925 silver or just silver colored metal?
          If it's 925 silver, you can use dipping solution, or silver cleaning cloth, purchased at silver shops e.g. perllini

Comment

Hi tien
            IMO, aldo and topshop jewellery are imitation, not 925 silver or real gold. But I may be wrong, it depends on your article.

IIRC the dipping solution from Perllini is about $12, but other silver shops may sell smaller bottles that may be cheaper e.g. Bits & Pieces - can ask around. To test, dip your ring in partially and see if tarnish can be cleaned off ; the tarnish should just dissolve. Not sure if this solution will work on non-silver jewellery.

There are also silver cleaning cloths. Just rub on jewellery to clean off tarnish. But not every silver shop carries this, also it is more hassle to use and ineffective on hard-to-reach places.

Comment

ah, answers my queries perfectly!
              Thanks a million and one chocob! (:

Comment

tien
                You're very welcome! Hope the silver ring cleans up well.
                As for gold jewellery, goldsmith / jewellery shops sell cleaning lotion, just apply and rub with cloth.

Comment

hi tien, sterling silver solution only work well on 925 sterling silver jewelry pieces and not other pcs in nickel material ,the gold colour and silver colour is the colour coating only,thats explain why it tarnish after a few wears. Some tarnished or colour fade off sonner than the other as is due to the method & technique that they colour plate it.

Never use non sterling silver item on sterling silver solution, u could tarnish (metal turn black & never revive) the whole pc of jewelry! what u can do to bring the shine back on a silver colour plated material is to use a face powder that was used by our grandma times (sq box with a woman on the cover between $1-$2) to clean it using a cloth. I am not sure does it work same on gold colour plated but u can try though cos i dun think will cos any further damage.

I also suggest not to use sterling silver solution too often i personally find it shorten the lifespan of shine on 925 sterling silver jewelry.ususally i give a light rub using the silver cloth & lightly wash it with handsoap & water & leave it to dry thoroughly before safekeeping again.

hope it helps
                  om

Comment

If your jewellery is not silver, you can use toothpaste to remove the tarnish.

I use this method myself:

take an old toothbrush
                    spread some toothpaste
                    brush away on jewellery.

It's a cheap & effective method for me!

Comment

i tried using toothpaste, and it really worked!!

Comment

i use BRASSO!!!!
                        Used it last time for my NPCC badges.... Shiny shiny! :wow:
                        Cheap too.. Get it from supermarkets at less than $5!

Comment

ooooh.. Will be trying out toothpaste in a few minutes *prays it works!*

if not i'll be getting lil_piggie's recommendation. (:

Comment

i hv got this jewel cleansing powder from my jewel designer.
                            Can be used to clean stainless steel, silver, gold ... almost all mental.
                            most impt is its effortless... i jus dilute some powder onto the water and leave it for awhile. hee... the water will then turn to milky and BLACK i was so shock cos nv thought my watches etc so *dirty* de ...

u might wanna try these powder too! u can get it direct from his suppliers cos he give me the contact...
                            oh! its defintely jewel safe cos i hv been soak my whole Tiffany bracklet inside

PM me for contact... cos this kind of good cleanser powder... hard to find ...

Comment

Heartache

Few years back, I have been using the solution brought from Perlinis Silver to polish their accessories but they turned tarnished the next day and subsequently they all turned black (20+ pieces). The bracelet and dangling earrings lost their tension too. Was it the solution being kept too long? Can the accessories be revived?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X