No announcement yet.

England > London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Snow, I don't think there's any direct flight from SG to Leeds/ Bradford. But domestic flights here are cheap or you can take a train (pretty scenic!).

Flights starts from $1.2k after tax. The cheapest direct flight I have seen so far is offered by BA to LHR at $1330+. But I think it will be easier for you to fly to Manchester and take a train up to Leeds. I think only SQ flies direct from SG to Manchester and their tickets are about $2.2k and above. Not sure about the best time for cost of tickets but am sure last minute tickets can be cheap at times.

Best to come to England during summer since the day is longer and you can make full use of your day.

Comment

• England > London

Hi..

My fren is coming back from London next week and asked if i want to get anything from there...

What's best to get from London??

Comment

• Stuff I usually get fm Lhr

l often get stuff from Mark & Spencer when I go lhr. The bath products are cheaper than in Sin & d strawberry scones are fantastic. If you are a chocolate lover, the chocs from any supermarkets... they are real good and taste different. Brands like Next, Miss Selfridge, topshop, warehouse,Oasis, Herrods, are pretty resonable. Other stuff are quite pricy due to the pound exchange.

Comment

• Originally posted by traveler
          Hi Slacky,

Four seasons is my fav! Here is my Four Seasons Review. It is always good, except during CNY.

Here are the details.
          Tel no: 020-72294320
          84, queensway, London w2 3rl (a short walk from South Kensington Gardens/Hyde Park, very near Queensway/Bayswater tube)

There is another restaurant which is very popular-Royal China on the same street. Good for dim sum. Enjoy your food there in London. London is also famous for curries.

Madeof dreams,
          Shops usually open on 24th. Mostly closed on 25th. Anyway, you need to recharge on 25th to have enough energy for the Boxing day sales! Bring a Credit card that has a chip and pin, and get ready to swipe!
          I just came back from london last week. I went to Baywater there to try the roast duck from another stall call "Gold Mine" which is few shop away from Four Seasons. I went to Gold Mine because the chef that do the roast duck had gone to "Gold Mine". Thru I never try Four Seasons before, my hubby told me the roast duck standard is the same as previous Four Seasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by sweetie_inc
            Hi..

My fren is coming back from London next week and asked if i want to get anything from there...

Well,I guess it's english tea and foodstuff like biscuits and chocolates.
            Anyway,did anyone dine at "Stick and Bowl" or "Lee Garden" before?Located at High Street Kensington,the food served there is quite good imo.

Comment

• hi gals! what are the more expensive areas in London? Is Chiswick one of them..?
              thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by paperstar
                I just came back from london last week. I went to Baywater there to try the roast duck from another stall call "Gold Mine" which is few shop away from Four Seasons. I went to Gold Mine because the chef that do the roast duck had gone to "Gold Mine". Thru I never try Four Seasons before, my hubby told me the roast duck standard is the same as previous Four Seasons.
                Thanks paperstar!!

Thanks for the info! Woah, you even found out where the chef went to. I will try Goldmine also next time

Do you know where the best wan ton mee is served? I have been craving for HK style ones.TIA!

HI Heavenlyn,

I assume you are asking about rental?

I think chelsea, south kensington, and certain city areas are ex! So is the Bayswater area. Chickswick is relatively ok, but not cheap because quite a lot of Aussies there.

Comment

• Originally posted by sweetie_inc
                  Hi..

Essential oil? If you are an aromatherapy fan. Holland and Barrats have cheap cheap lavender oil.

M&S and Harrods are alot more cheap there as well. Perfume as well, particularly Elizabeth Arden. Sometimes Versace, Benetton and others and be about 1/2 price here.

Comment

• Originally posted by heavenlyn
                    hi gals! what are the more expensive areas in London? Is Chiswick one of them..?
                    thanks!

Are you referring to 'high class" areas in London?High Street Kensington,Oxford circus,Regent Street,Khight's bridge(where Harrods is),Bond Street etc are the areas where you can find many high-end boutiques and restaurants.

Comment

• thanks traveler and muddles! I was asking about both (in terms of housing and shopping etc), more of what is the equivalent of "Bukit Timah" in London? =) Or is there no such thing?

thanks!

Comment

• Heavenlyn, i think housing in those areas are expensive too,so not to mention shopping.Cheaper housing should be located at suburban areas eg. Acton town, woodsbroke grove, etc.

Comment

• oh.. buy anya hindmarch... their bag is cheap and now they are having sales

Comment

• Got to warn you gals to be more careful when in Hyde Park/Kensington Park.

Robberies happen there these days, by youths of "south asian" descent. Dont talk to them.

Comment

• Originally posted by muddles
                              Heavenlyn, i think housing in those areas are expensive too,so not to mention shopping.Cheaper housing should be located at suburban areas eg. Acton town, woodsbroke grove, etc.
                              Acton apparently isn't a very good place to live in; I was advised by a relative not to pick housing there. No offence meant, but there are more 'blacks' in Acton area.

Ealing is quite a good place, more Chinese and apparently some Japanese. Of course, no place in London really is as safe as our safe haven Singapore!

For living, another relative told me Hampstead is a good place, but it is expensive!

Comment

• Areas within zone 2 of Jubilee lines are pretty ok. St Johns Wood, Finchley Road, West Hampstead, Swiss Cottage are pretty high class areas. Avoid Kilburn because there are alot of blacks (I can understand being Chinese we are intimidated by them, always). Avoid the South, however, there are some nice areas in SW of London. Acton area are ok, a mixture of South Africans, Kiwis and Aussies. The East side of London is slightly more run down as well.

It depends on where you are travelling to daily. You won't want to change trains more than 2 times everyday. The underground is pretty unreliable too (weekends are very bad). So far, I heard the better lines are Central line and Bakerloo line. The worst of the lot is Northern then Hammersmith and City then Circle and District.

And yes, Anya Hindmarch is dirt cheap during sales, like NOW. ?70 can get you a nice handbag.

traveler, I read about what happened. Hope he's ok. I have an extra SIM card with T-mobile. 12p per call to all operators. If he wants it, PM me his address and I will send the package to him? Let me know.

Comment

Working...
                                X