Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby Starting On Solids

To:All the mummy all there,

Need some advice from you all.........My gal will be turning 4mth....thinking of getting some cereals/brown rice for her....Any advice on which brand or what kind will be better.......

i started my girls on gerber's rice cereal at 4.5mths.

Comment

eleena

I use Heinz rice cereals. Another brand which is more expensive and good is Earth's Best baby cereals which are found in organic shops: http://www.earthsbest.com/

Comment

Thanks so much,mummy.......
        Will go marketing this weekend...

Comment

Nestle cereal have some selection that can use for baby from 4months onwards.

Comment

Is it good to start on cereals as early as 4-5 months old? Or better to wait longer as long as baby is feeding well on formula?

My colleague advises against supplements. She only started her boy on cereals at 9 months old.

My boy is 5 months old now. Was wondering if I should start introducing cereals or wait till he's 6 months old.

Comment

My bb started at about 5 mths when she is able to sit upright. Best to put bb on the rocking chair or pram. If you are still not sure whether to give or not. Best to check with your PD on your next visit as some of the PD will advise you whether you can start cereal. My PD advised to start with rice cereal first. We bought Heinz rice cereal and bb loves it.
              You can try giving a small portion and more watery-like cereal first. You may find some difficulty to feed as bb hasnt get used to swallow food. After a few spoonful if bb can manage to swallow you will be able to see if bb likes or dislikes. Gradually increase the amount of cereal by half or one spoonful and milk. You can get some free sample from PD clinic. It is good to try the sample and if bb likes it you can buy the tin/box type from any supermarket. You can check it out some website such as http://www.heinzbaby.com/english/ Hope this will help you.

Comment

Hi,
                I just want to know if 3 months old baby is able to eat mashed pumpkin? According to books and PD, it's better to wait till 4months before introducing solid food right?

I'm so worried because my Mil had fed my 3 month old gal with pumpkin yesterday (after I started work 2 days, she started all the nonsense). All along she claimed to have fed some babies under her care during her days, and these babies were only 2months plus. I'm so frustrated and worried that my gal has not developed digestive system well. I reasoned it with her yesterday and she insist her way!

I can't really sleep well last nite, keep worrying that my gal might get stomach upset or choke etc etc...

Comment

bomy,

usually its recommended to intro semi solid food from 4 mths onwards not earlier. Infact best time to introduce is 6mth old but I just fed my boy with Heinz rice cereal just now (he is 5mths old) and he seems so interested as I find him losing interest in my bm already

Comment

cclia,
                    My SO and SIL managed to convince my MIL to stop feeding pumpkin. Told her to introduce semi-solid when my bb pass 4 months old. It's a relieve for me.

Comment

Hi,
                      I gave my baby organic millet with pumpkin or carrot, kun bu(jap sea weed) sometimes spinach and all double boil for two hours when he's 5mth old.

Nurse say the trend now is not to introducing them meat so early cos might cause more burden to the kidney and is better to give them when they're 8-9mths onwards

Don't give them pumpkin or carrot everyday will cause yellowish on the skin.

Comment

Just happened to chat with my GF about this:

When should I introduce solids?
                        You can introduce solids any time between 4 and 6 months if your baby is ready (see "How will I know when my baby's ready," below). Until then, breast milk or formula provides all the calories and nourishment your baby needs and can handle. His digestive system simply isn't ready for solids until he nears his half-birthday. Waiting until your baby is ready greatly reduces the risk of an allergic reaction and shortens the transition time between spoon- and self-feeding.

How will I know when my baby's ready?
                        Some babies are eager and ready to eat solids at age 4 months, while others need to wait until they're closer to 6 months old. (By 6 months they need to start cereal because of an increased need for iron.) Your baby will give you clear signs when he's ready to move beyond liquid nourishment. Cues to look for include:

? Head control. To eat solids, your baby needs to be able to keep his head in a steady, upright position.

? Losing the "extrusion reflex." To keep solids in his mouth and then swallow them, your baby needs to stop using his tongue to push food out of his mouth.

? Sitting well when supported. Even if he's not quite ready for a highchair, your baby will need to be able to sit upright to swallow well.

? Chewing motions. Your baby's mouth and tongue develop in sync with his digestive system. To start solids, he should be able to move food to the back of his mouth and swallow. As he learns to swallow efficiently, you may notice less drooling. He may also be teething around the same time.

? Significant weight gain. Most babies are ready to eat solids when they've doubled their birth weight (or weigh about 15 pounds) and are at least 4 months old.

? Growing appetite. He seems hungry after eight to ten feedings of breast milk or formula in a day.

? Curiosity about what you're eating. Your baby may begin eyeing your bowl of rice or reaching for a forkful of fettuccini as it travels from your plate to your mouth.

How should I go about introducing solid food?
                        A good rule of thumb is to start with rice cereal, which is gluten-free and less allergenic than other foods. First nurse or bottle-feed your baby. Then give him one or two teaspoons of dry cereal mixed with enough formula or breast milk to make a semi-liquid. Use a rubber-tipped spoon when you feed your baby, to avoid injuring his gums. Start with just a small amount on the tip of the spoon.

Begin with a once-a-day feeding, whenever it's convenient for you. Your baby may not eat much at all in the beginning, but give him time to get used to the experience. Some babies need practice keeping food in their mouths and swallowing. Once he gets used to his new diet, he'll be ready for a few tablespoons of cereal a day. As the amount he eats increases, gradually thicken the consistency of the cereal and add another feeding. Your baby should be able to eat about a half-cup of cereal a day before you add other solid foods.

See here for more...

Comment

Do check out Gina Ford's book on weaning. I saw that she also has one on suggested recipes. Another lady who is really dedicated to this topic is Annabel Karmel. She publishes books on recipes for infants etc that get me all drooled up as well www.annabelkarmel.com

Comment

Queenie>
                            My lil one is 5 months old already, but he doesnt know how to sit on his own yet.
                            Does this mean he's still not ready for solid food?

Comment

Priscillia,

One of the tips is that your son has to be able to sit well when supported. He will need to be able to sit upright to swallow well. Why not wait till he's able to do that before introducing his solid food? Any particular reason you like to introduce so soon?

Comment

Working...
                              X