Baking and Recipes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baking and Recipes!

been lookin ard for a nice tiramisu cake recipe.... being a lover for it, i would really like to try making one for myself n my friends... anyone able to contribute any easy and simple recipe for me to start with??
    dolphin
    Cozy Star
    Last edited by dolphin; 25-01-2005, 10:15 AM.

hope this works

You'll need
    3 tbsp custard powder
    1 cup skim milk
    2 tbsp caster sugar
    2 tsp vanilla essence
    2x130g tubs light vanilla fr?che or fromage frais
    2 egg whites
    1 2/3 cups espresso coffee, cooled
    2 tbsp Amaretto liqueur
    250g sponge finger biscuits
    2 tbsp unsweetened dark cocoa powder

Here's how
    1. Stir the custard powder in a small pan with about 2 tablespoons of the skim milk until dissolved. Add the remaining skim milk with the sugar and vanilla and stir over medium heat until the mixture boils and thickens. Remove from the heat. This will be a thick custard. Transfer to a bowl, cover the surface with plastic wrap and cool at room temperature.
    2. Beat the custard and fr?che together for 2 minutes. In a small bowl, whip the egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into the custard.
    3. Pour the espresso into a dish and add the Amaretto. Using half the biscuits, quickly dip each biscuit in the coffee mixture, just enough to cover (don't leave them in the liquid or they'll go soggy) and arrange in a single layer over the base of a serving dish.
    4. Smooth half the custard mixture evenly over the biscuits. Dust half the dark cocoa over the custard; repeat the layers with the remaining biscuits and custard. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or for at least 6 hours. Lightly dust with dark cocoa powder to serve.

Fat per serve: 5.5g

Comment

thanks natnatviv!!
      but erm, what is "Amaretto liqueur" and "light vanilla fr?che or fromage frais".. so sorry, abit not familiar with these ingredients

Comment

Baking

Hi Girls, i'm quite into muffins, cookies and brownie lately so i figure it would be fun to bake my own stuff. So being totally clueless on whats going on behind the scene :roll: , i would like to find out what are the stuffs that i would need to bake a cake, cookies, brownies etc. I mean what type of oven, flour or whats not is needed. Care to share some? recipes would be good too!

Comment

the liquer is like tia maria u should be able to find them in supermarkets
          if i am not wrong it is a type of coffee liquer

as the fruche, it is sold in supermarkets and looks like yoghurt
          think this replaces the cream

HTH

Comment

Re: Baking

Originally posted by caer
            Hi Girls, i'm quite into muffins, cookies and brownie lately so i figure it would be fun to bake my own stuff. So being totally clueless on whats going on behind the scene :roll: , i would like to find out what are the stuffs that i would need to bake a cake, cookies, brownies etc. I mean what type of oven, flour or whats not is needed. Care to share some? recipes would be good too!
            i like to bake too ... you will need a oven and mixer, of course you also need container that you use to bake the cake ...

to start off you can try using the "ready made cake mix" for a try out

you can check out http://www.allrecipes.com/ i did try some of them out is not bad.

Comment

or you could get those pre-pack ingredients!! i just bake one last weekend, not as good as those from coffee bean or starbucks. but it's convenient!!! taste not bad too

the website vien recommend is great too!! i remember i found recipes of steam cakes from there too.

you definitely need the machine to blend your ingredients (not sure what's called. ) it's easlier than using hands.
              candeecake
              Cozy Star
              Last edited by candeecake; 29-10-2003, 02:11 AM.

Comment

you definitely need the machine to blend your ingredients (not sure what's called. ) it's easlier than using hands.

mixer correct?

Comment

thanks natnatviv

Comment

okay, an oven and mixer. What type of oven would that be and roughly how much does it cost? Im totally hopeless in this, would appreciate help though. What about those things that you used to beat the eggs? do i need those too?

Comment

Originally posted by caer
                      okay, an oven and mixer. What type of oven would that be and roughly how much does it cost? Im totally hopeless in this, would appreciate help though. What about those things that you used to beat the eggs? do i need those too?
                      you use a mixer to beat the egg ( about S$20+) not blender ok...
                      then price for oven can be S$100-700 over i think you can get a
                      mid rang one about S$100-200 will do :cheers look for one that can control where the fire come fr i.e top bot and both

Comment

a recipe for you ladies
                        enjoy!

Gluten free hot cross muffins
                        ingredients
                        300g (1? cups) gluten free flour mix* or white rice flour
                        1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
                        ? teaspoon bicarb soda
                        ? teaspoon salt
                        1 teaspoon mixed spice**
                        1 teaspoon xanthan gum
                        50g (? cup) sugar
                        125ml (? cup) canola oil
                        2 eggs
                        1 cup unsweetened apple sauce (baby works well)
                        ? teaspoon vanilla
                        2 tablespoons chopped mixed peel
                        2 tablespoons diced dried apricots or peaches
                        2 tablespoons currants or sultanas
                        2 tablespoons diced glace fruit (peach, apple, pear, pineapple)

method
                        Pre-heat oven to 180?C.
                        In a medium mixing bowl combine rice flour mix, baking powder, bicarb soda, salt, mixed spice, xanthan gum and sugar.

Add canola oil, eggs, applesauce and vanilla, stirring just until combined. Lightly fold in peel, currants or sultanas and chopped fruit.

Spoon into 12-hole muffin pan either greased or lined with muffin papers. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until starting to brown and are firm to the touch when pressed. Makes 12

*Gluten Free Flour Mix - in a container with a lid, combine 2 cups white rice flour, 2/3 cup potato flour and 1/3 cup arrowroot. This quantity makes 3 cups.

**or use ? teaspoon cinnamon, ? teaspoon nutmeg or mace and 1/8 teaspoon cloves

Notes
                        Xanthan gum can be purchased from the health food section of selected supermarkets and many health food stores. Xanthan gum stops crumbling in baked goods.

Disposable foil muffin liners work better than paper ones.

Arrowroot can be purchased from any supermarket.

Potato flour can be purchased from the health food section of selected supermarkets and health food stores.

Comment

thanks girls you guys have been most helpful. I will go and source for my oven soon! thanks alot!!

Comment

anyone has the recipe for Fresh milk steamed egg??? i tried those online recipes, doesn't work

Comment

Fresh milk steam egg? Is this Chinese or Western dish?
                              Sounds like a version of the egg tart filling. What's the desired outcome? What was your result?

Comment

Working...
                              X