All About Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All About Europe

Hi all...going toparis for 5 days. Need some experienced travellers to recommend what to see and do in Paris. Bluebulbble?

Hmm. Don't wanna rain on your parade...but I never liked Paris. It was always raining on the 4 or 5 separate occasions that I visited it.

If I were to go back to Paris, it would be for ONE reason only, and that is: museums, museums, museums!!!

Definitely pay a visit to the Louvre and the Musee D'Orsay, which houses all the 'greats' of French Impressionism. It's really something seeing a Renoir, Monet, or Manet in person!

Then, hop onto the Eurostar and spend the remaining time in London instead. *LOL* I love London!!!

Comment

second louvre and musee d'orsay, u can spend 3 days in the first one and one day in the second :wink:

i'll try to remember the rest coz it's been 7 years since i was last there! :o

...well, eiffel tower of coz, i recommand going in the evening or night, more beautiful. for more touristy stuff, take the cruise along the seine to see all the landmarks of paris (this is actually not bad, lots of stuff to see) and then a walk along the river - check out the book stalls lining the sides of the river, u may find some vintage tin tins and stuff! also notre dame - when u're at the cathedral, turn a corner and u'll find this street with rows of souvenir shops that sell the cheapest touristy souvenirs in paris (don't buy the normal touristy souvenirs at the places of interest, it's a rip off!). maybe drop by the paris opera house too just to take a look.

for the offbeat, i've seen these catacomb tours on the tv show Scariest Places on Earth where u go into these underground tunnels in paris and i think there are piles of human bones inside - i think they used to cart dead people off in the underground or something, i can't remember; u can do a google on paris catacombs and it'll come up with something

if u've the time, take a day tour (probably 1/2 day?) to the versailles - just sheer opulance

shopping - champs elysees and printemps department store are all i remember coz i was on school trips both times. if u wanna buy drugstore skincare and makeup, there's monoprix. for books, posters, art prints, latin quartier is good to go to

i'll add when i remember more...but u know what, MUAer kare2711 (karen ang) just returned from paris on a free and easy trip so i'm sure she remembers it vividly!

Comment

Riv, I second Bluebubble's suggestions. For winter, I think u can skip Versailles. It looks better in spring with the flowers blooming. Paris is awfully cold in winter. So wear extra layers when u go up to the Eiffel Tower. I remember there is one flee market in Paris that is quite interesting. Can't remember the name though.
        Last edited by Guest; 24-01-2004, 11:32 PM.

Comment

I actually toyed with the idea of hopping over to London too..but too little time! I found this little airline which offers flights from Salzburg ( where I will be visiting) to London and back for S$75. Very cheap!!! But then since I am flying Air France, Paris seems like a more feasible idea. Cheyanne will be joining me for a few days in Paris. I guess I'll leave London for Sep ( possibly attending another conference in Salzburg) where the weather is better and wallet is fuller! =P
          Last edited by Guest; 24-01-2004, 11:32 PM.

Comment

i'll recommend versailles too. i had a very enjoyable trip the last time there. i took the Metro and the train ticket is inclusive of the entrance to versailles. You could visit the Louvre musuem. I think its the former residence of the Kings of France. if im not mistaken, its free entrance to all on the ist sunday of the month. As for monument, the famous one should be Arc De Triopme. i actually walked from Arc De Triompe to eiffel towers. And from there i walk to see the Statue of Liberty. you could spot it if you are up at the eiffel tower. ITs really really small.. Yeah i had a very long walk. Notre-Dame Cathedrale and Basilique du Sacre-Coeur are some of the many places to visit too. Very beautiful structure. You could visit Moulin Rouge if you are interested but its just an old building. I didnt do much shopping but bought Biotherm products at a drug store bacause its much cheaper. The clothing are too expensive for me. But i bought the lamp berger at a sale in Galeries Lafayette. IF you are into Lamp berger, they have more designs and variety of oil available. You can get discount coupons at the hotel's reception for purchases in galeries Lafayette. It opens from 9am to 6.45pm everyday except sunday closed. THursday is opened till 9pm. IF you taking metro, you can stop at Havre-Caumartin or Chaussee-d Antin-Lafayette. The OPera garnier is just around the corner too. hope this information help/ Have an enjoyable trip.

Comment

oh yeah, talk about walking - all i ever did in france was walk everywhere...much faster than taking the private transport we had sometimes. and the weather is good for walking too...be warned tho', if u ask for directions and the french say 'just next door or just nearby', it usually means like 10-15 minutes walk away :o

and be warned of strikes, keep your fingers crossed that you don't run into any, it's practically the national pastime to go on strike. when i was there the 2nd time, there was a general strike - including transport. was in avignon and living outside the walls of the fort - so *everyday* in winter, we had to walk 20-30 minutes from where we lived to inside the city for classes - *not* good

Comment

yeah very true... going on strikes is their pastime. And also beware of pickpockets.. especially the young children at the MEtro. THey are like professionals. My friend lost her wallet to them and her entire holidaying mood was spoilt. Be really careful.

Comment

Pickpockets, yes!!!

My dad lost his wallet to some REAL pros the last time he was in Paris (you see now why my family hates Paris, *LOL*). They get more crafty by the day! The trick they used on my dad was someone would bump into him 'accidentally' and then apologize, and the next thing you know, your wallet's gone. My dad didn't feel a THING.

Comment

exactly why i never travel with cash when i can help it - credit careds and ATM cards that work at global ATMs are good even tho' interest is charged...and carry those emergency credit card hotline numbers with you all the time in case you need to cancel and replace them right away!

Originally posted by "pandora76"

Pickpockets, yes!!!

My dad lost his wallet to some REAL pros the last time he was in Paris (you see now why my family hates Paris, *LOL*). They get more crafty by the day! The trick they used on my dad was someone would bump into him 'accidentally' and then apologize, and the next thing you know, your wallet's gone. My dad didn't feel a THING.

Comment

paris and london...my first and only trip to these countries was when i was 14..with my family.
                      my dad is pretty familiar with london since he go there for biz trip very often.
                      i only remember following my dad everywhere and ta-dah we are at the museum and ta-dah(again) we are at effiel tower.. then ta-dah ta-dah...we are at london bridge! haha...

now i am feel like an idiot, i didnt really know which exact street i went before.

Comment

<FONT SIZE=1>Originally posted by ponine
                        Hello :D

So interesting to read about all your Europe trips.. hahaa.. never step into Europe b4..

Just curious.. how much does 1 need for a say 10-15days trip tp London and Paris Free and Easy ?

:D </FONT SIZE>
                        Are u including accommodations? Both London and Paris are pretty expensive place to stay....that's probably the area where u wld spend most on. For food u can always give yourself a budget or take sandwiches to cut down the cost...then u hv to cater $ for sightseeing, transport, shopping etc....

Plus air-ticket, accommodations, I wld say give yourself at least $3k for it...$3k cld be quite tight too.....

Comment

Hmm... very expensive indeed.... :roll:

I was thinking of staying at a frd 's house in London but then we are not say very the close.. hahaa.. but for teh sake of saving money...well... keke :laugh:

How much does say a train ticket to Parise cost from London

And how much does the usual Tiaxi, bus and MRT fares cost in London and Paris ?

:frosty:

Comment

<FONT SIZE=1>Originally posted by ponine
                            How much does say a train ticket to Parise cost from London

And how much does the usual Tiaxi, bus and MRT fares cost in London and Paris ?
                            </FONT SIZE>
                            Ponine, you heading to Paris?

OK, IIRC, Eurostar ticket from Paris-London costs around S$60, but they have special saver promotions from time to time when it can go down to as low as S$30.

Taxis in London are DAMN expensive!! You think taking cabs is pricey in Singapore....wait till you try that in Europe!! A taxi ride from Heathrow airport to central London will set you back about GBP35....which is about S$90++!!!

That;s why when I was there I hardly took cabs...just take the tube (the London underground.). Again, ticket prices will vary for these. You can buy a carnet of 10 tickets for travel within CEntral London for about GBP10 - 12, I think....well, at least, last time I was there! Each trip within Central London will set you back at least GBP2.20. (Exchange rate is about 2.7)

Otherwise, just walk. I love walking around London, plenty of little nooks and corners with quaint buildings and shops wiating to be explored. I walked all the time when I lived there....save money...and I had great legs, *ROFL*

Comment

yes i love to walk too. Partly because i don't have to sweat like in Spore since the weather is always so cold even when its not winter. I always remember the chinese restarant call four seasons (think its near queensway station) that my friend recommended to us. THey serve very good roast duck rice and 'lai tung'(soup). Yummy esp. when the weather is freezing.

Comment

Working...
                              X