Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taiwan (Republic of China)

Hi girls!
    thinking about going for a trip to taiwan..
    Any interesting places that to recommend for food or shopping? Those taiwan variety shows are really tempting me to go!!!

Re: Taiwan- What's interesting?

you should buy one of those book form kinoyuniya..is really very helpfully. i went there this march we went to most of the place that writen in the book. the food there is very very nice.
    Last edited by duckiee; 12-05-2006, 03:51 PM.

Comment

hey! i went taiwan last year... if u LOVE strawberries, u definitely gotta try the taiwanese ones cos they're AMAZINGLY sweet... the ones we have here are so sour and i gotta dip them in honey... and of course, the night market has tons and tons of food that you'll go crazy over... there's barbequed sotong, ai4 yu4 bing1 ( this drink with smooth jelly-like cubes), giant crepe with a gadzillion variety of filling and the list goes on... oh and if you're crazy abt bread and pastries, taiwan will be heaven cos the bakeries there are a total paradise... basically, just try try try! but it may be a little different if you're going with a tour cos they usually take u to more "touristy" places?? oh and try out the hot springs too!

Comment

hey cla!

haven't been to taiwan in about 4 yrs (my dad used to work some months there...) but i remember they have night markets in Taipei. shopping & all is about the same pricing here but do check out the night markets for food and local goods bargains.

for scenery, the Taroko Gorge at Hua Lian is lovely!
        i think there is the Sun Moon Lake too but its become very commercial.

anyway, a trip to go away on holiday is always good! especially after all our madness days on school, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by gracegan
          hey! i went taiwan last year... if u LOVE strawberries, u definitely gotta try the taiwanese ones cos they're AMAZINGLY sweet... the ones we have here are so sour and i gotta dip them in honey... and of course, the night market has tons and tons of food that you'll go crazy over... there's barbequed sotong, ai4 yu4 bing1 ( this drink with smooth jelly-like cubes), giant crepe with a gadzillion variety of filling and the list goes on... oh and if you're crazy abt bread and pastries, taiwan will be heaven cos the bakeries there are a total paradise... basically, just try try try! but it may be a little different if you're going with a tour cos they usually take u to more "touristy" places?? oh and try out the hot springs too!
          yes yes i LOVE the strawberries there is soooo nice ...my hubby don't let me try ( he don't like straberries)... the last day we have 2 cup of strawberries shake he also say is nice.

also must try the "yi mei" honey cake very very very nice also ...
          also there is an ice cream shop with 100 kind of ice-creams.. if you like beef is also a very good place we eat different kinds of beef noodle everyday.

but i never do any shopping there as the things is not cheap only buy food back

i still want to go there again haven't eaten enought

Comment

Wow

Thanks all!
            Wow.. there's so many recommendations.. I'm spoilt for choices man.. yah, i saw the taiwan strawberries on the variety show! So big, red and juicy looking!!

Taiwan's all bout food shopping.. any shopping places that's nice to visit? and has lots of things to shop for?? hehe..

Comment

Thanks Vien!
              Shall go take a look at the book.. maybe buy it and bring it with me to Taiwan! :note:

Comment

Let the taiwanese auntie do the recommendation!

Well, actually the girls have said it all. Taiwan has an amazing array of food. Every corner you turn to, you'd find food that you've not tasted before here in Singapore.

The night markets sell literally everything and anything at relatively cheap prices. You get all the food stalls congregated all for your convenience too!

And the shopping. The malls there are at least 10 storeys tall in the city central. And you should also visit the 'hip streets' in Taiwan. The one in Kaoshiung is called "Xing jue jiang" and the one in Taipei is....opss i forgot the name but if you ask any fashionable local there they will tell you where is it.

Hot springs are founds near the south and it's best to visit them during autumn. (NOW!!!)

Comment

Ooh yes!! Think the places to go for food and shopping are just simply too much to mention all! :note:
                  I went to the hot spring in Japan and it was so wonderful.. will definitely try that in Taiwan too..

May i know whether the clothes there are considered cheaper as compared to S'pore?
                  Last edited by duckiee; 12-05-2006, 03:52 PM.

Comment

the food is cheap, chinese books also
                    but the cloth is not that cheap...
                    but the hot spring is very good also i went to one that is outdoor; supper cheap only S$1

Comment

S$1??? :roll: Did i see wrongly?? that's very cheap! Are the hot springs there all so cheap or is it that u have found a great deal??
                      Last edited by duckiee; 12-05-2006, 03:53 PM.

Comment

that one is for public like a swimming pool kind, we happen to saw thesprings which is NT$20=S$1.. the private one is about NT$600 for 3 hours we plan to go there but ...when we saw the cheap one we just thought we should give it a try...

well is a public hot springs don't know if you will like it. but to us is quite ok
                        Last edited by duckiee; 12-05-2006, 03:53 PM.

Comment

the hot spring I went to was a private one that looked super posh and all with tatami mat, nice bathtub that dispenses spring water..there're 2 taps, one is hot spring water and the other cooled so u can actually adjust the temperature. From the decor and all, it looks like a million bucks but it was only $30 I think? Shopping wise, I didn't buy much firstly because taiwan is very influenced by jap culture and I'm one who's super uninterested in anything jap. Secondly, if you're going over during autumn or winter, the clothes would be catered to colder weather so you probably wouldn't be wearing it in singapore. Oh but they do have shops at the night market which sell authentic triumph undergarments at AMAZING prices. I bought the triaction sports bras at $5 each ( retails at $33 here). Oh and the "hip street" in taipei would be xi1 men2 ding1... one last thing, if you're interested in ktv, do check out qian2 gui4 ktv at xi1 men2 ding1..my friends and I booked a package for 3 hrs with never ending food and drinks included and paid only $12.50 each. And unlike singapore where u only get miserable tidbits+fruits and a glass of drink, we got like 5 jugs of whatever drinks, huge variety of soup, uncountable japanese set meals, chicken wings, onion rings, chicken cutlet etc..... it's practically a buffet! ( and no, i'm not exaggerating) so the tip is, go during lunch
                          Last edited by grace; 15-10-2003, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Hearing from u all, when i go Taiwan, will definitely go for free and easy.. can check out all the eating places.. especially those xiao3 chi1.. yummy!! think both the public and private hotsprings are worth trying.. considering those private ones are only bout S$30.. can experience the poshy feeling...

Thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by gracegan
                              if you're interested in ktv, do check out qian2 gui4 ktv at xi1 men2 ding1..my friends and I booked a package for 3 hrs with never ending food and drinks included and paid only $12.50 each. And unlike singapore where u only get miserable tidbits+fruits and a glass of drink, we got like 5 jugs of whatever drinks, huge variety of soup, uncountable japanese set meals, chicken wings, onion rings, chicken cutlet etc..... it's practically a buffet! ( and no, i'm not exaggerating) so the tip is, go during dinner
                              wow! i love ktv. the ktvs in taiwan is definitely worth a visit!! but my friends told me that clothes and accessories are not cheap in taiwan.

Comment

Working...
                              X