Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Long Did You Stay At Your First Full Time Job?, vote now!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long Did You Stay At Your First Full Time Job?, vote now!!

Just wondering with the job market picking up, how long you guys stay in your first full time job. I stayed at mine for 4 months because the job & company were TOO terrible.. the mgt was just a flop and just out there to earn the parents' money (it's a brain training school cum childcare kind of stuff)..

Cast your vote and share your experience!
    Less than 3 months
    6.87%
    3 to 6 months
    11.07%
    > 6 months to 1 year
    15.27%
    > 1 year to 2 years
    22.90%
    > 2 years to 3 years
    19.08%
    > 3 years
    12.98%
    > 3 years of more and still there now!
    11.83%

my first job is the current job i'm holding now. It's been 2 years plus since i'm in here.

Comment

first FT job was straight after O levels in 2005, worked in a retail firm for 3 months before joining the poly.

it was a good experience, i learnt a lot but it was really really tiring.

Comment

Mine First Full time job only last for 3months.

Comment

haha, what reasons did you girls give when you all tendered just few months after you joined? i think i'm about to tender too, but feeling a bit worried.

Comment

better opportunities?

but must make sure to stay in a job for a couple of yrs after the first few hops..if not, the prospective employers will doubt your loyalty...

Comment

was with 1st co for 8mths, now in search for de 2nd. Sians.

Comment

1st real job i stayed for 2yrs cause was bonded with contract, current job i stayed the longest - 4yrs+ but too bad company is undergoing re-structure and will be clos this Dec

Comment

i'm 1.5 years into my first job, hoping to move on after another year as the learning curve has flattened considerably :p

as for tendering after just a few months, say you want to further your studies, or simply say this job is not suitable?

Comment

My first job lasted for about 1.5 years due to poor pay package and poor managament. All the colleagues from my then team left before me so there was really little motivation to stay.

Second job was 2 years and i left coz the learning curve has flattened and i have gained whatever experience there was to learn. Besides, my then direct boss was not a good leader and not inspiring enough to motivate me to stay.

Now i'm 3 months into my third job with plenty of challenge and therefore, the learning opportunities are there. I really hope to stay in this job for a longer time rather than hop around too much coz it does not reflect well on my CV at the end of the day. Hopefully, all remains well for me to wanna stay on...

Comment

first job - lasted me 1 yr 10 months
                      second job - 1 yr 10 months
                      third job - 2 yrs 2 months
                      fourth and current job - only into my 2nd week!

the problem i get is that prospective employers seem to see a trend and they'll ask... "so are you gonna leave us after 2 yrs? if looking at your resume, that's what we seem to be seeing.."

and will have to work to convince them otherwise i.e. substantiate with valid reasons for leaving!

Comment

My first full-time job is my current job now and it's already 7 yrs but it is not advisable to stay at your first job for more than 2yrs.

Comment

I stayed for exactly 2 years with my 1st job. The general opinion then was to stay for at least 2 years, so I did though I was bored to tears over there.

It is true that employers are still wary of hiring people who only stayed with companies for 1-2 years all the time.

I am worse than Verena in job history as I took on 2 contract jobs (1 year each) during the downturn and the interviewers didn't care that it was contract work and harped on why I left after 1 year in my jobs. Very un-enlightened companies, especially the government-linked companies (GLCs).

Comment

i stayed for 1 yr 2 mths. actually i loved my first job as a management trainee in a dept store, which later i become a buyer. however, the working hrs really too long, really too tiring....come to think of it, i don't know how i survive 1 yr 2 mths with working 6 days a week.... passion give me the drive i guess.

Comment

Hmm.. 1st job.. some time back.. I stayed for about 2.5yrs! According to the mkt, it's always best to be in a job for 3 yrs before you shift over to the next one! That will add mkt value and you are in a better bargaining position to negotiate for your expected salary!!

Comment

Working...
                              X