No announcement yet.

Health Alert - SARS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In light of the seriousness of this SARS... i would also like to caution all CCers to stay home more often than to go out esp during weekends.

A frd just called me dat her son's teacher called her and said school is suspended for a week coz a student from his school is found to be suffering from SARS.. it's really scary how fast and easy this virus spread...

So seriously, try to minimise all outdoor activities unless it is absolutely neceesary. I think it has really gotten pretty dangerous with the increasing number of pople down with SARS and i think this is the first time in years that i heard about schools suspending lessons for a week ...

I would also like to ask whether it is safe to received swap packages from HK ? Does the virus ONLY spread by human interation ? So sorry if i'd offended any HK CCers... just thought i asked ... to play safe.

Take good care everyone
    Last edited by meow123; 24-03-2003, 09:34 PM.

Comment

most viruses have shelf lives of not more than a few seconds or minutes once out of the human body. but if u're really comfortable about it, then don't swap with HKers; i don't think it matters coz only those who are in close contact with the virus carriers have been found to contract the virus. in fact, the fact that u need close contact to contract the virus is the reason why the CDC is housing patients in rooms with open windows because they do not want the air to circulate in airconditioning systems

Comment

The MOH website did not state whether the virus will spread through other means.....other then human interaction.

gee.. i think my parcel parcel is on the way and my sister is really paranoid abt it.

i dunoe what to do also.. haiz

Comment

that's because they have found that it only spreads thru' human contact

if u're that paranoid about it, u can throw away the package once u get it, i don't think it's a very big issue. when the anthrax scare was underway, i remember someone junking a package without opening too

Originally posted by ponine
          The MOH website did not state whether the virus will spread through other means.....other then human interaction.

gee.. i think my parcel parcel is on the way and my sister is really paranoid abt it.

i dunoe what to do also.. haiz

Comment

NEW HEALTH ALERT!!

Hong Kong worried by spread of mystery disease, Singapore quarantines more than 700
            A mystery disease outbreak spread new fears across Asia on Monday as Hong Kong's health chief fell ill, two more people died and Singapore ordered the quarantine of more than 700 people who may have been infected.

Comment

thanks meow.....i hope they'll be alright.

Anyway, there's supposedly this concoction of chinese medicinal herbs that will detox your body and build up the body's resistance that lots of pple are buying now. Saw it in the chinese news just now also. A very nice colleague of mine gave me a pack and i boiled it and forced P to drink just now. yeah....i may be overeacting but better be safe than sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by meow123
                oh dear now I pity P drinking those horrible stuff.. I hate chinese medicine..poor P!
                Not all taste so bad. Apparently, lotus roots are good too. They are fast getting snapped out in wet markets.

Btw, babyflite and those in Australia, Ballarat had cases of SARS too isn't it? U guys better take care too! Pop some Vit C pills!, not more than 500mg a day tho'. Flush down with more water if excess Vit C taken.

Comment

An announcement issued by my HR department!

PREVENTION OF ATYPICAL PNEUMONIA

Mode of Transmission

Atypical pneumonia is a type of respiratory tract infection transmitted by respiratory droplets over a short distance.

Preventive Measures

- Cover the nose and mouth with tissue paper when coughing and sneezing
                  - Wash hands frequently with liquid soap and dry hands with disposable towel
                  - Keep the working environment hygienic
                  - Consult your doctor immediately if you feel sick
                  - If you have respiratory tract infection, e.g. influenza, pneumonia, etc. you should wear a mask and stay away from the work place until you have fully recovered
                  - Build up good body immunity by having balanced diet, adequate rest and exercise, avoid smoking, avoid going to over-crowded or poorly ventilated places
                  - If you are infected by Atypical Pneumonia, inform HR immediately so that the Bank can take necessary precautions.

HTHS!

Comment

Thanks for the update, Kazablanca!

I think it's important to be vigilant, but NOT to over-react. I can just see the clinics and hospitals stretched to breaking point because people are rushing in and getting anxious over common colds and coughs. Still, better to be safe than sorry....I know it's really hard to draw the line here. :|

Comment

Originally posted by farahdean
                      OK this is worrying...2 colleagues went to HKG & came back mon, happily they are working. one was coughing since sat in HKG & she saw the company doc on monday, nothing or so it seems! today the other came down with fever, company doc referred her tan tock seng hospital then referred again to CDC...no fever was the conclusion! OK i am so paranoid, i wanna be like students & stay home! sobs...
                      Apparently they have some tests now to determine if it's SARS? I think there's a blood test and a lung x-ray.

WHat;s important now: avoid public places especially those where there are lots of people squeezed into a poorly ventilated space (clubs? bars?), and STAY HEALTHY! Your immune system is your last defense now.

Comment

Originally posted by pandora76
                        They really should be - lecture theatres are not the best places to be in in this kinda situation! :pissed:
                        yes they should stay away! just called my sis to ask how she is today & she is still spending all her time in school & travelling thru crowded MRT...& yes those damn LTs are breeding grounds! one week no work is good, u take care & stop shopping ok?

Comment

Originally posted by Riverie
                          I think a gal from my faculty was admitted for SARS... . From another department but we share the canteen and co-op!!!
                          Oh no!! :|

Comment

Originally posted by farahdean
                            one week no work is good, u take care & stop shopping ok?
                            8O How did you know I was planning to head to Tangs tomorrow??? (Can't be helped, need to collect stuff...will just zip through, grab what I need to get and rush back home and hole myself up at home!)

Tell your sis to get plenty of rest!!!

Comment

Apparently they have some tests now to determine if it's SARS? I think there's a blood test and a lung x-ray.

WHat;s important now: avoid public places especially those where there are lots of people squeezed into a poorly ventilated space (clubs? bars?), and STAY HEALTHY! Your immune system is your last defense now.
                              the worrying part...the one who sits in the same office as mine...only her temperature was taken tho she's coughing!

to make things worse...my whole family comes into contact with lots of ppl everyday! me - i have my drivers plying up & down airport every hour & moving stuff in & out of my warehouse, my mom comes into contact with kids & dad meets foreigner everyday! & the SO is falling sick!

yes yes i am eating well & have been trying to be either home or work! no pool or anywhere crowded for me! *this hypochondriac crossing her fingers*

Comment

8O How did you know I was planning to head to Tangs tomorrow??? (Can't be helped, need to collect stuff...will just zip through, grab what I need to get and rush back home and hole myself up at home!)

Tell your sis to get plenty of rest!!!
                                pan, i believe u told me silently! some electro magnectic forces spoke!

thx pan! yes told sis to rest & rest & don hang out so much!

Comment

Working...
                                X