No announcement yet.

Female gynae

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more vote to Dr Joycelyn Wong from ACJ Clinic (Thomson)
    But must be prepared for super long appointment time and waiting time in clinic.

Comment

Originally posted by fates View Post
      My gynae, Dr Heng Tung Lan, from East Shore Hospital is

Ha ha, she is my gynae too, Dr Heng likes to wear cheongsum... she is friendly & patient too.

Comment

dr patricia sim from mount elizabeth. She's v experienced, and her nurses are v friendly.

I also like that she doesn't dictate how I should feel or what I should eat, and tells me that I should eat whatever I want as long as i eat healthily and in moderation. And she did it in front of my hubby, who doesn't have anything to say now when i refuse to eat fish (i can't stand the fishy smell) cos the gynae said so!

Comment

hey she's my gynae too for both my pregnancies.... yup I love how she is more pro-common sense than to listen to all these old wives tales

but gotta wait very long sometimes, cuz she has alot of patients...

wanted to ask those who went to Dr Joycelyn Wong, what are her charges like? I know someone who is considering going to her. Does it take long to get an appointment? Thanks

Comment

My gynac is Dr Ang Huai Yan. Did my very first pap smear with her. Certainly very comfortable with her. Highly recommended

Her address - Gleneagles Medical Centre, 6 Napier Road, Suite #05-06
            Tel :6473 6626

Comment

wanderlust, did you deliver at mount a or mount e? How was your delivery suite like? The packages for all for 2 days, but I was told that you'll usually have to stay more than 2 days, right? Altogether, how much did you pay for Dr Sim and the hospitalisation bills? Sorry eh, first-time mother so got a lot of questions.

Comment

I delivered at Mt E. Delivery suite was nice, hubby had a recliner to relax in.... I delivered at 1pm, so only had to stay 2 nights. If everything is ok, she will let you go home after 2 days, won't make you stay more than necessary. Altogether I paid about 7+k. Normal delivery without epidural...

Actually opted for epidural but it didn't work! Needle didn't go in properly I think, so anaesthetist didn't charge me for it... haha... but the pain was @#[email protected]#%@# compared to the first time round where I had epidural properly done.

Comment

All mummies to be reading this, please consider carefully how you want to deliver your baby and make sure you ask your doctor about pain killers, episiotemies, natural deliveries before choosing a doc. Make sure you choose one that has the same beliefs about childbirth as you.

I'm seeing Dr Pat Sim at Mt E. I used to think that she was good but I'm starting to regret my decision.

When I wanted to discuss my delivery options with her (pain killers, episiotemies etc), she gave me a big lecture!!! She was so angry when I asked her if episiotemies could be avoided and told me all the horror stories about natural deliveries.

Actually, all I'd wanted was to ask that she try to let me stretch if possible and only do episiotemies if I look like i'm going to have extensive tearing or if I need forceps.Her reaction was that she wouldn't know if I was going to tear excessively.

She also seemed quite worked up at the fact that I would prefer not to have any painkillers for breastfeeding purposes. I'm realistic and realise that in the end, I may have painkillers and episiotemies, but I just don't want them without any valid reasons.

I guess she's not very pro-natural birth and v into efficiency!!! After that session with her, I slipped into a deep funk. I've already paid for her package and don't know if other gynaes will accept me at this stage of the pregnancy.

Comment

Hi Sunsdew,

Don't mean to defend her just because she's my gynae but I think it's true what she says. Asking if you will tear or to predict exactly when to snip is like asking her to predict the future? It will be too late by the time you tear excessively and you will take alot longer to recover. A clean cut will be much faster.

The painkillers she prescribe are safe for breastfeeding. I checked with her before taking them and she is definitely pro-breastfeeding. The painkillers that she gives you after the labour are to reduce the pain after the birth. But it is entirely up to you whether to take it or not. If you don't feel pain or can bear with it, you don't have to take it.

As for epidural, she told me there were many gung-ho patients who insisted on natural births but regret at the last moment when they realized the pain was too much to endure, and it was too late to have epidural. So she usually advises her patients to use epidural since it takes time to call the anaesthetist (especially after office hours)

As for efficiency, she can only be as efficient as fast as your labour can be The entire labour is natural. The epidural won't speed things up, neither will the episiotemy. The baby will come out based on the natural progress of your contractions as well as your pushing efforts, so it doesn't actually save her any time. Unless she is advising you on elective caesarean, I don't think this has anything to do with efficiency. I guess she's not really the kind who will sayang or PR the patients, more of the motherly type. Try not to take it too hard.... stress is not good for you right now

Comment

Originally posted by atinarin View Post
                      I would highly reccommend Dr June Tan of KK, i saw her at the private suite.
                      Second this! Dr June Tan is patient and very encouraging (in breastfeeding and during labour time)!

Comment

Originally posted by sunsdew View Post
                        All mummies to be reading this, please consider carefully how you want to deliver your baby and make sure you ask your doctor about pain killers, episiotemies, natural deliveries before choosing a doc. Make sure you choose one that has the same beliefs about childbirth as you.

I'm seeing Dr Pat Sim at Mt E. I used to think that she was good but I'm starting to regret my decision.

When I wanted to discuss my delivery options with her (pain killers, episiotemies etc), she gave me a big lecture!!! She was so angry when I asked her if episiotemies could be avoided and told me all the horror stories about natural deliveries.

Actually, all I'd wanted was to ask that she try to let me stretch if possible and only do episiotemies if I look like i'm going to have extensive tearing or if I need forceps.Her reaction was that she wouldn't know if I was going to tear excessively.

She also seemed quite worked up at the fact that I would prefer not to have any painkillers for breastfeeding purposes. I'm realistic and realise that in the end, I may have painkillers and episiotemies, but I just don't want them without any valid reasons.

I guess she's not very pro-natural birth and v into efficiency!!! After that session with her, I slipped into a deep funk. I've already paid for her package and don't know if other gynaes will accept me at this stage of the pregnancy.
                        Sweetie - you are in which stage of pregnancy now? Maybe she don't mean to hurt you in the way she speak. Don't be sensitive ok

She's not my gynae but I agree on the Episiotemies part, she will only know whether you need it during labour to let your baby arrive faster. And yes for epidural - seriously don't go against it because you will know whether you can still stick to it.

I have my labour without epidural. I was like you told my gynae I want to have a drug-free labour. My gynae told me you will never know until the day of your labour. Thank god - I manage to go through labour without epi. So this is very individual whether your mind can control your body.

Comment

hi queenie and wanderlust,

Thanks for your concern.

Actually, I was just exploring my options and discussing with her. I wasn't even insisting on doing things my own way.

She is the expert here and I will def let her do whatever is necessary. She didn't have to blow her top at me!

Episiotemies are not always necessary; in fact, doctors overseas are advised to not do episiotemies routinely. Episiotemies have been associated with tears for the next deliveries, and they do not necessarily heal faster than slight to moderate tears.

Episiotemies are efficient in the sense that the mother doesn't have to push so hard against the perineum and try to pace herself too much to prevent tearing. They are also neater and easier to repair than tears.

Tears and episiotemies can be avoided if the midwives are experienced and helps the mother to do perineum massage and helps to pace the mother. Extensive tearing happens usually when the baby is large or when the baby is the first child. Labour is a long process and the ob can always judge if episiotemies are needed.

As for epidural, I've seen friends whose babies are really sleepy after epidurals, and who was allergic to it.

I've had friends who have gone for pain-relief free deliveries without episiotemies. They tell me that it's excruciating but they still went through the process nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by sunsdew View Post
                            hi queenie and wanderlust,

Thanks for your concern.

Actually, I was just exploring my options and discussing with her. I wasn't even insisting on doing things my own way.

She is the expert here and I will def let her do whatever is necessary. She didn't have to blow her top at me!

Episiotemies are not always necessary; in fact, doctors overseas are advised to not do episiotemies routinely. Episiotemies have been associated with tears for the next deliveries, and they do not necessarily heal faster than slight to moderate tears.

Episiotemies are efficient in the sense that the mother doesn't have to push so hard against the perineum and try to pace herself too much to prevent tearing. They are also neater and easier to repair than tears.

Tears and episiotemies can be avoided if the midwives are experienced and helps the mother to do perineum massage and helps to pace the mother. Extensive tearing happens usually when the baby is large or when the baby is the first child. Labour is a long process and the ob can always judge if episiotemies are needed.

As for epidural, I've seen friends whose babies are really sleepy after epidurals, and who was allergic to it.

I've had friends who have gone for pain-relief free deliveries without episiotemies. They tell me that it's excruciating but they still went through the process nonetheless.
                            Sunsdew - I understand where you are coming from. But seriously on the Epidural & Episiotemies - it's really up to individual body reaction. Gynae are the best person to help you as you entrust he/she to help you deliver right.

You may read up from Internet or hear from friends. Ultimately it's you who can take all the pain to have the labour you want - it's still another Question because each of us have our own pain level we can take. Don't forget - let's say during labour then Gynae realise that you have thick cervix - How? This you need to go for C-sec instead of natural delivery.

There are also unforseen circumstances come during labour. Maybe your next check-up have a discussion with your gynae or tell her that you did get affected by her reaction on last visit. Don' get too fret about this issue ok

Comment

Hi Sunsdew,

I think newborns are always sleepy, they sleep and sleep for at least the first week or so! Both my girls were sleepy, one with and the other without epidural, so I don't think it is related. They were so sleepy you have to wake them up for feeds....

I'm not sure about the midwives being able to help. Most of the time they are just rushing from room to room! I have to hit the call button everytime I need someone.

Anyway, I am the type who prefers the labour to be as fast as possible, so probably my expectations are different. How about asking those friends who went without pain relief and no episiotemies? How did their gynaes respond?

I guess if it is truly important to you, why not seek a second opinion from your friends' gynaes? At least you will feel alot happier with the labour process. Cuz after all you are a paying customer. But when are you due?

Comment

Thanks queenie and wanderlust,

I'm due in 2 months time.

Dr Sim is prob a very qualified doc; just wished that she is more open to discussion and more willing to tell me what the options are.

Already quite terrified of the pending delivery and the lecture didn't help one bit.

I'm also aware that things happen during delivery, but what I was trying to discuss with the doc was what I prefered if all things go smoothly. She might have had a bad day but eh, don't need to take out on me.

Actually a lot of the stuff were from books written by other gynaes and also from antenatal classes from other hospitals.

I think I'll just see how the next appointment goes, but this time bring more reinforcements so that she won't be tempted to blare at me again.
                                Last edited by sunsdew; 16-12-2008, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X