Will running develop big calves??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by orangeyjellybeany View Post
    I don't do jogging now unlike before because I noticed that my calves is getting bigger. I just want to have a tone body and having big calves is a BIG NO NO!
    So for my daily exercise, instead of taking the bus, I just walk from mrt to our home. It's just 2 blocks away though.
    Really? does it have something to do with overdoing jogging that's why calves got bigger?

Now I'm confused.

Comment

• JOGGING IN PLACE (inside my room)

I am not that as conscious as you all are ... mmm... but I became worried just today when I felt my calves is in muscle pain. This is what happen, yesterday I intend to jog, after my stretching I supposed to start jogging but OMG! the rain comes and I run home. I cant accept that I will not do my regular exercise bec. today I have work. SO NO WAY I WILL NOT EXERCISE! What I did is I jog more than 30mins. just in place inside my room and then do the sit ups.

TODAY MY CALVES IS IN PAIN! Feels like the muscle is constructing. This is not happening when I go jogging outside and go around a field.

I am worried, is jogging in place bad? I don't care that my calves is a bit big but to add up more muscle on it is unacceptable! HELP!

Comment

• if you run everyday, then it could be your muscle sore that is causing the pain. need to rest and i go for leg message once a month to relieve the tightness in my calves and allow better blood circulation. try skipping too, a good exercise that can do it at home.

Comment

• Hi dodo!

Thank you for your advice. I did take a rest for 2 days now and planning to resume tomorrow. My legs feels quite ok now but still have a little pain. Can I know where you are doing your leg massage? Is it affordable for maintenance? I think I need a leg massage but my weakness is I will feel tickled and will surely not enjoy the first session.. LOL!

Comment

• don't go for explosive workouts.. they give you mammoth calves. :D

Comment

• Originally posted by i_am_prettyroan View Post
              I am not that as conscious as you all are ... mmm... but I became worried just today when I felt my calves is in muscle pain. This is what happen, yesterday I intend to jog, after my stretching I supposed to start jogging but OMG! the rain comes and I run home. I cant accept that I will not do my regular exercise bec. today I have work. SO NO WAY I WILL NOT EXERCISE! What I did is I jog more than 30mins. just in place inside my room and then do the sit ups.

TODAY MY CALVES IS IN PAIN! Feels like the muscle is constructing. This is not happening when I go jogging outside and go around a field.

I am worried, is jogging in place bad? I don't care that my calves is a bit big but to add up more muscle on it is unacceptable! HELP!
              Jogging on the spot vs actual jogging are different exercises because of different motion and use of muscles. Were you wearing shoes when you were jogging on the spot? If not you could have put on more stress on your calf muscles.

It isn't exactly a bad exercise but it burns less calories compared to actual jogging due to absence of forward motion and wind resistance. I would recommend you to do burpees in replacement of that stationary exercise. It takes less time and is a much more effective indoor exercise.

Comment

• Originally posted by PamTan View Post
                don't go for explosive workouts.. they give you mammoth calves. :D
                hi! what do you exactly mean by explosive workouts?

Comment

• Originally posted by lilylily View Post
                  hi! what do you exactly mean by explosive workouts?
                  For example sprinting, gym workout for calves, running up slope consistently or even running up stairs will develop big calves! :O Just don't do any exercise that requires you to use your calve muscles. Jogging is good for slimming thighs! Because jogging is a slow process which uses more of your thigh muscles rather than calve muscles. After consistent jogging, like say 3 times a week for a month, you'll see your thighs got slimmer! You can also add on a 0.5kg of weights on each leg while jogging to increase the intensity!

Comment

• If the running is non intensive, say jogging for 30 minutes a day, then i dont think you would get big calves.

Comment

• I think it depends on the intensity of running. Long distance slow speed doesn't trigger bulking up as easily as short sprints with high power. It's to do with the type of muscle fiber that is activated under different intensity levels. And stretching your calves after running also helps.

Comment

• WOW! This thread is good for beginners who is thinking of starting jogging! :D

Just wanna check with you cotters, is it true that if you stop exercising for a while, your muscles will become fats?!

Comment

• No your muscles will not turn to fat, and running will not make your calves big. i run long distance (about 10km each time) weekends more and they don't give you big calves. If you stop exercising, means you won't burn as much and if you continue to eat as you did when you were exercising, you will see difference in body composition and this will give the illusion that your muscles turn to fat when in actual fact, i think your fat is covering the muscle.

Comment

• I dont think so if you dont do sprinting and just go at a moderate intensity over a long distance..i have been running for a few years long distance (10-21 km) at a moderate pace and my calves have not grown bigger..

Comment

Working...
                            X