No announcement yet.

Malay/Muslim weddings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of venue, has anyone here done or attended a wedding at Bedok South multi purpose hall before? It's 33A Bedok South Avenue 2. I'm wondering if it's big enough to seat 500 guests at one time..

Comment

• hi ladies... tq so much for your encouragement... i feel much better.. 90% of the wedding is paid by me.. actually, i also cutting off minor things like decorating the rm as my nikah is under the void deck n i also dun intend to have a wedding cake cos i feel its a pity. by the time i come bk frm the guy side, it will be 4 plus..but when i tell my frends bout nt having a cake, its like a big hoo haa sey.but i still stick to my decision of nt having a wedding cake. apa org nk cakap, biar.. i also have another bank acct to keep the wedding $$$ but the prob is i cannot save $500 per mth which thats the max i can go. i also sacrifice my travelling expenses n my frends used to ask me to join but i keep turning them dwn.. i think they give up asking me anymore... my fh also dun want to do any majlis but his mom insist want to do... aiyoh... so im keeping my wedding v minimal. hope i can achieve that... for dulang hantaran, i will only give ard 4-5 only... the another reason y i can save only $500 per mth is due to the fact i got study loan to pay off.. that is really killing me... ****... but insya-allah, everyone of us can pull off our wedding.. :o

Comment

• Originally posted by bungabulan View Post
        Hi fsuz,
        Actually what I am doing away with are the little extras like wedding cake, bridal room decor, paid entertainment etc.

I'm not sure if I am doing videography, but if my budget can fit good photography and videography, why not? Is your cousin looking to expand his / her portfolio? ;P
        Originally posted by bungabulan View Post
        Hi fsuz,
        Actually what I am doing away with are the little extras like wedding cake, bridal room decor, paid entertainment etc.

I'm not sure if I am doing videography, but if my budget can fit good photography and videography, why not? Is your cousin looking to expand his / her portfolio? ;P
        The little extras can really add up to a lot.. I didnt have bridal room decor also.. my dad decorated the room with the furniture and i just bought bedsheets from metro which i can use after the wedding..

As for photography, I used Lenzsation. They were very accommodating and we had a long outdoor shoot the day after the wedding right after the studio shoot and a mini-outdoor shoot for about an hour after the wedding reception.. You can get more skillful photographers out there of course but for their price, their professionalism and easygoing personality, I am more than happy to recommend them.. As for my cousin, he is Hakeem from Clearlens production.. He does quite a lot of wedding videography and my husband was impressed with the outcome..

Comment

• Originally posted by seductressmizzy View Post
          To those who is doing combined wedding.. u guys using kompang also?
          Yes,
          I have not sourced for one though.

Comment

• Originally posted by littlemsmuffet View Post
            hi ladies... tq so much for your encouragement... i feel much better.. 90% of the wedding is paid by me.. actually, i also cutting off minor things like decorating the rm as my nikah is under the void deck n i also dun intend to have a wedding cake cos i feel its a pity. by the time i come bk frm the guy side, it will be 4 plus..but when i tell my frends bout nt having a cake, its like a big hoo haa sey.but i still stick to my decision of nt having a wedding cake. apa org nk cakap, biar.. i also have another bank acct to keep the wedding $$$ but the prob is i cannot save $500 per mth which thats the max i can go. i also sacrifice my travelling expenses n my frends used to ask me to join but i keep turning them dwn.. i think they give up asking me anymore... my fh also dun want to do any majlis but his mom insist want to do... aiyoh... so im keeping my wedding v minimal. hope i can achieve that... for dulang hantaran, i will only give ard 4-5 only... the another reason y i can save only $500 per mth is due to the fact i got study loan to pay off.. that is really killing me... ****... but insya-allah, everyone of us can pull off our wedding.. :o
            Yes insyaAllah. Anyway if your friends make big hoo ha about it, you could tell them, tongue-in-cheek, to sponsor a wedding cake for you! Since they think it's so important, hahah.. Who knows they may actually take you seriously.
            People can only talk so much, but they don't actually know your situation. So let them talk, lama-lama they run out of steam and stop, or there's another wedding they can talk about.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katrina123 View Post
              Hi there,

certainly its possible! My best Friend only Spend $8000 for her wedding all in.

What she did was :
              Place/Catering/Wedding Invites/ Sound System - Desa Kartika - $12/ head based on last year price for 2012 wedding and she invited 400 pax Total: $4800
              Photography: $800 (Fid Photography)
              Berkat: (bought the fork and spoon) & it only cost RM0.80 = 35 cents each from KL ($140)
              Videography: $300 done by a close friend
              Honeymoon: $800 i think
              New Bed: $400 from beds.sg
              Makeup artist: Less than $400
              Bridal clothes: Tailor Made at Johore by a talented tailor! ($300 with kain cost)

& she didnt have the gubahan exchange and wedding cake but the wedding was lovely still :D
              Can recommend me the following? I'm doing my own baju too, but I don't know who to send it to.

Makeup artist: Less than $400
              Bridal clothes: Tailor Made at Johore by a talented tailor! ($300 with kain cost)
              Videography: $300 done by a close friend

Comment

And eggs are actually practical, but I don't know if my family can manage boiling 500 eggs within a short period of time (how long do hard-boiled eggs last before they turn bad anyway?)
                I gave a telur masin for my engagement as door gift. It can last longer and it looks prettier too since it's white, hehe. Perhaps you can consider?

Comment

Hi Katrina123,

Thanks for sharing! Wow, I certainly envy your friend! A wedding for under 8k! Siap dengan honeymoon lagi. Where did she go for a $800 honeymoon? I guess I don't consider honeymoon as part of wedding expenses as that's solely for me and my future husband, and it's something we can take our time to decide and go for.

Desa Kartika is definitely something I have considered (the price has inflated to $15 per head now!) but one concern is that the place is small so my close relatives can't hang around as it would deprive other guests of seats. The food has not gotten many rave reviews online, and for me I'm willing to spend a bit more for quality food as I love my food as well! My parents are quite traditional too, so a wedding in town may not be something they like.

I guess dulang hantaran is something I'm still doing in order to appease my mom. $800 is just a figure, I could probably keep it to maximum $100 per tray for 5 trays so that's $500. As for photography and videography, since this is a momento for many years to come, I don't mind paying for quality work. I have yet to discuss it with my fiancé, though, because he's currently busy working full time and studying for his part-time degree exams. If he agrees with my choice, we could split the cost for photography and videography, so that's less expense for me. ;P

May I know which tailor in JB your friend used? I chanced upon a Malaysian wedding vendor on FB who does really cantik but simple wedding outfits, but his team is based in Selangor! Their work is so drool-worthy and Wahhhh..

just realised you wrote about desa kartika as well.. hehe.. I had my wedding at desa kartika in Oct last year and I must say, the food was good.. My guests raved about the food.. Till today, ppl tell my parents that they like the food there and one of my mum's friend even told my mum to hold her subsequent children's wedding and invite her cos she wants to eat the food again.. the review was the same for.my husband's side who did the reception there the following day so the food is consistent..

But I do acknowledge the fact that the place is small.. It can be a squeeze during the peak periods but for the price and the air-conditioned comfort, think ok ***.. haha.. my relatives didnt have many chairs to hang out at but they made do by rotating and making use of tje benches on other floors at heeren.. i come from a big family on both my parents' side so I was quite surprised that it worked out..

The big draw is the price.. At the time I booked it was $10.50 but no udang which you will get now for $15.. it was really hassle free and it helped me stay in budget, which was the most important thing..

Happy planning!

Comment

• I need an opinion.

Is full songket for sanding a must? I fell in love with a a really nice kebaya from a certain bridal but alas, it is not songket.

My fiance parents insisted that traditional = full songket outfit and not lace / beadwork or any other thing.

Most bridals I enquired has no songket collection (as they are rather new) OR it's old collection. Anyone of you can recommend me bridals that has at least a decent collection of full songket outfits? I quite like VERSARI ADE full songket collection, any more?

Comment

• hi deebz... actually songket is nt a must to wear.. its up to own individual. maybe they want u to wear that cos malay wedding associate with songket like 'ikut tradisi'??? or maybe just their request :D u can try fatimah moshin also or if u want to have tradisional+modern songket vibe, can go for granduer fai.... p/s - actually my mom siang2 da ask me to wear sanggul lintang also n she wants me to wear the sanggul like her time. since i also like it, i agree to wear it... lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by deebz View Post
                        I need an opinion.

Is full songket for sanding a must? I fell in love with a a really nice kebaya from a certain bridal but alas, it is not songket.

My fiance parents insisted that traditional = full songket outfit and not lace / beadwork or any other thing.

Most bridals I enquired has no songket collection (as they are rather new) OR it's old collection. Anyone of you can recommend me bridals that has at least a decent collection of full songket outfits? I quite like VERSARI ADE full songket collection, any more?

Hello deebz!

My mak wants me to wear full songket with the sanggul lintang for the bertandang! She said Baru nampak mcm Raja Sehari. She told me not to wear lace, it's very modern and it fits cake-cutting session instead..Yup Versari has gorgeous songket collection! Btw songket is heavy.. and thick.. Wish me luck coz i sweat easily and my wedding falls next year march !

Comment

• littlemsmuffet : Thanks. I have scheduled appointment with both actually. Hopefully i find something that i like.
                          Eyecandyj : That's what my future parents-in-law mentioned too. The decision maker is definitely my FPIL. My father, orang lelaki kan, tak cerewet while my mother dah takda.They think beadwork and lace as a top is too minah indon for their liking. Come to think of it, on second thought, it is true. Most of the baju is also jarang and pakai with corset. They don't like it at all. Sexy sangat kot. The one I like that jarang langsung pon they not convinced. I hate corsets with kebaya too. I feel like it squeezes the armpit fats out especially when you sit down (and pengantin sit down! so very important!) and it's so obvious if the outer layer baju is jarang. I guess, I'll just go with full songketlah, parents know best.

Comment

• Originally posted by bungabulan:2782878
                            Hi Katrina123,

Thanks for sharing! Wow, I certainly envy your friend! A wedding for under 8k! Siap dengan honeymoon lagi. Where did she go for a $800 honeymoon? I guess I don't consider honeymoon as part of wedding expenses as that's solely for me and my future husband, and it's something we can take our time to decide and go for.

Desa Kartika is definitely something I have considered (the price has inflated to $15 per head now!) but one concern is that the place is small so my close relatives can't hang around as it would deprive other guests of seats. The food has not gotten many rave reviews online, and for me I'm willing to spend a bit more for quality food as I love my food as well! My parents are quite traditional too, so a wedding in town may not be something they like.

I guess dulang hantaran is something I'm still doing in order to appease my mom. $800 is just a figure, I could probably keep it to maximum $100 per tray for 5 trays so that's $500. As for photography and videography, since this is a momento for many years to come, I don't mind paying for quality work. I have yet to discuss it with my fiancé, though, because he's currently busy working full time and studying for his part-time degree exams. If he agrees with my choice, we could split the cost for photography and videography, so that's less expense for me. ;P

May I know which tailor in JB your friend used? I chanced upon a Malaysian wedding vendor on FB who does really cantik but simple wedding outfits, but his team is based in Selangor! Their work is so drool-worthy and Wahhhh..

isit syomir izwa?he gt awesome hands on his creativity *** the designs...yeah,do update me which tailor in jb cos.im still searching for one...

Comment

• Below $10000 Budget Wedding

Hello all!

I’m the below $10000-dollars-budget-happily-married lady!

My wedding took place in May just 3 weeks ago, and Alhamdullilah, it was a splendid and memorable day for me and my husband, as well as our close family and friends. It was held in Desa Kartika, and Kak Rosnani was indeed a nice and service oriented lady.

So how did I manage to cap it so low? We do away with all the cultural things.

No hantaran exchange – it is held in town, ending at 4pm, can’t be bothered to carry anything to and fro (besides to deco the hantaran is so the troublesome, and it is only on display for awhile)

No sirih dara - though the restaurant provided us with one

No wedding cake – No time to cut also..

No kompang – Though I really reallyyy love the kompang, we have to still keep our budget. So in replacement, one of the guys carried a stereo with the kompang sound behind the groom and best man. The gate crashing made the whole scene happening!!

No silat – After the gate crashing, my three lovely brothers sang ‘Barakallah’ for us. *SWEET*

No DJ, no KTV – We want intimacy; Not having guest being annoyed by DJ who’s trying TOO hard to be entertaining, or having to hear voices that are croaking..heheh.

The key is to be strong and firm with your decision, and make your elderly understand on the whole point of marriage and savings. There’s so many things that we have to worry about after marriage, and 70% concerns money. Some might say overall, the cost per head for our wedding is high (ECONOMICS), but...we still saved $10K. And besides, I rather spent that additional $$ that people spent, on more holidays. Hehe.

Here is my breakdown for our wedding expenses (both side):

Desa Kartika (400 pax only) - $4800
                              The food was really good, and I agree with fsuz, our family and friends kept raving about how good the food is. We took blackpepper beef and ayam lemak. Even the kuehs they provided was great. *But sadly me and hubby didn’t really get to eat our food cos of lack of time. Now I understand why people take pics of food – so that bride and groom can see and drool.. )

Wedding dress (only 1 attire the whole day) - $180 (chiffon and satin chiffon) + RM222 (Jahit baju and veil jahit tepi) = $280

The sewing was done at Larking level 2, Ivy Boutique – Kak Ivy looks fierce, but she’s really very nice and very good. =)
                              Wedding suit (for hubby) - $50 (this is quite a deal, cos the kain is thick, and its shimmery, super nicee, but tu la, I didn’t take note of the type of kain. -_-) + RM140 (plus songkok) = $110

Make up artist – Sungstar Dolly – $55 (Trial) + $150 (Actual) = $205
                              This part I played cheat, I went for the trial on my engagement day. Heheh. =P
                              She doesn’t stay though. Make up and go.

Photography – Fid Photography - $800 (All edited pics, photo book and one canvas printing).
                              Fid blended in with my guys friends so effortlessly, and by the end of the wedding, he’s already like one of us. =) My very close friend (who previously professionally shoots wedding events as well) was also there. Which is why I didn’t take a package which includes free printing of 4R.

Printing of pics – Thanks to dyan, I went to her recommended place which is Miao Laan Colour Centre at Bukit Batok- approximately 600 pics plus 2 photo albums - $200

Poloroids - $75 from Gmarket

Videographer – This is a personal contribution by a very close friend of my husband. We gave $300 as duit penat, even though he said there’s no need to.

Baju for my family - $130 (for bros baju G2000 during sale, the ladies tempah at Larkin – kain bought in Masjid India- KL, damn cheap).

Berkat - Masjid India- KL, damn cheap - $100

Guestbook – DIY. Buy cheap nice book from Evergreen, A4 size. Amik kain & some accessories, paste paste paste. Da lawa daaa!

Additional Goodies – 8 boxes of Brownies (Anita Brownies) + 300 pieces of Kueh Lopes + Chocs = $200 + $ 100 + $50 = $350

Bouquet – $30. My lovely bridesmaids DIY it for me. And its really really really NICEEE!

Cincin – Only for me from Love & Co –Rose gold. HB doesn’t want one. So I see to him, having me by his side is more than enough memory (or nightmare?? =P) - $800

That’s basically the whole amount we spent.
                              Though we had sponsors for my hotel and the wedding car. Kalau yang tak malu tu, lagi bagus. Yang malu tu rugi. Hahah

Even with miscellaneous things, total did not exceed $9000 actually.

Hope this helps you guys!! Happy planning and may the marriage that you are building is filled with barakah! Amin!

Comment

• Deebz: I like songket too. It's not everyday that we get to don songket pengantin. Especially the dark rich colours like dark purple or midnight blue.I hope my bridal house able to match the songket and hijab nicely. Anyway, when's your wedding? Mine is Sep 13 but I have yet to book my andaman.

Cream coloured Lace for nikah
                                Dark coloured songket for sanding
                                Puffy skirt gown for cutting of cake.

Comment

Working...
                                X