Belt Tightening - What Will You Give Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belt Tightening - What Will You Give Up

Hey Cotters, what would be the first things or indulgence to go if you had to cut costs? Share your thoughts here...

For me, I will have to spend less on food. No more "designer" coffee. No more fancy snacks.

So timely.... my colleagues and I were having the exact same discussion, over lunch, just 15 minutes ago...

For me, the first thing will be to drive less. I will plan my route carefully and to try and consolidate all errands, instead of back-tracking and wasting petrol running around. I'm seriously trying to look for a job that's closer to public transport, so that I can stop driving completely during the weekday, and let my folks use the car instead. My current workplace is just too inaccessible!

I've already given up manicures and pedicures. I'm quite a klutz so I'm sticking to very pale shades when I diy my own manis and pedis.

I guess the next to go will be short trips to neighbouring countries.

This is such a good thread!

Comment

My drinking habits.

Each time I go out to a bar or pub with the boys/girls/SO, the stuuupid bill always comes up to $50 min. Thats $100 a weekend and $400 a month.

I've cut down to $100 a month now. Depressing but oh so healthy

Comment

Spend less on food for example in Japanese Restaurants and buying less clothes which are expensive...

Comment

cut down in buying repetition of clothes/shoes which i already have.
          (i can actually buy a few of d SAME design but in different colours)

Comment

Haha, does all girls think alike? I rather eat cheap and not too tasty food so I can have more to buy the things I want.

Foodwise, SO pays!

Comment

1. No more Mineshine Milk Tea

2. Eat out at restaurants less often - hawker centres have good food too

3. STOP TAKING CABS! (this one is a killer )

4. Stop all the junk food (I spend like $30 a day on getting junk food at NTUC)

5. Do not break the online shopping ban........... unless absolutely necessary

6. Visit libraries instead of buying books (I'm a book-hoarder more than anything else)

Comment

no more shopping, no more nice dining, no more nice food.
                bascially food court and window shopping. and of course, MRT and bus....

Comment

1) No more online shopping.
                  2) No more paying for others' meals.
                  3) NO MORE CABS!
                  4) Spend lesser on cosmetics. Haha

Comment

Buy what I need not what I want.

Comment

Originally posted by carawong View Post
                      My drinking habits.

Each time I go out to a bar or pub with the boys/girls/SO, the stuuupid bill always comes up to $50 min. Thats $100 a weekend and $400 a month.

I've cut down to $100 a month now. Depressing but oh so healthy
                      carawong,

me too! but im worse! i would spend at least $200 per night out clubbing/drinking.
                      so per month is around $800.
                      Now try to cut down on clubbing/drinking to once a month.

Comment

Now I don't buy :

Magazines

Mineral water so often. I bottle my own at home by refilling the empty mineral water bottles but I use a bottle up to 3-4 days max.

Eat at restaurants less often.

Buy cheaper drugstore bodywash.

Less aircon usage or if using, set temp up to 24degC.

Successful in stopping my shopping online the past few months but i don't know how long this will last. So far so good l.a.h.

Stopped mani/pedi.
                        Last edited by imapashg; 19-08-2008, 10:49 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Originally posted by galerie_de_mode View Post
                          carawong,

me too! but im worse! i would spend at least $200 per night out clubbing/drinking.
                          so per month is around $800.
                          Now try to cut down on clubbing/drinking to once a month.
                          Qwaahhh qwahhh..LOL!

^5 babe!

At least we admit and cut down,so it won't be an addiction

I found a new drinking kaki woohoo!

Comment

i think i need o cut down my shopping. my main expenditure falls on shopping, clothes, shoes, skincare, cosmetics, accessories and many more!

Comment

hmmm

i would also need to cut down on my expenditure on make up.

Only have one face, but buy so much make up

Comment

Working...
                              X