Mid-Autumn Festival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by michannat
    they do look yummy. my mum and me were on a mooncake hunt last week and i spied the hainanese ones from a distance. promptly accepted the sample for testing from one of the ladies until my mum told me that it has pork bits in it.

i try not to take pork, especially in front of mum. she abstains from pork because of religious reasons.
    i think they do vegetarian special orders too

is it the taka one you're referring to??

Comment

Originally posted by Dimples
      My vote goes to Goodwood Park for the durian mooncake.
      second that too!

Comment

Originally posted by burntpinkhair
        Hainanese mooncakes are da bomb!
        How do these look like? Baked or snowskin? :huh:

Comment

How do these look like? Baked or snowskin? :huh:
          Baked!

And they're bigger in circumference and flatter than most mooncakes. I know of a booth in Taka which sells them

i'm guessing you're hainanese?

Comment

i'm guessing you're hainanese?
            Nope, dear. Good guess though

Btw, someone just came into the office with a box of durian mooncakes from Marriot Hotel. I think they're as good if not better than the ones from Goodwood. Think I will get myself a box of that too.

Comment

Hee Hee...

Marriott or GoodWood Park...Thanks gals for the tip off

I know Raffles Place Caltex House now whole stretch got sell mooncakes from a lot of big hotels and big names.

Can walk up and down to eat and test. Yum... Shall go there tmr during lunch hour. Maybe I can skip lunch and eat the samples?

Comment

Think SatinChris mentioned it's $29 for 8 mini mooncakes (with the 15% discount from UOB credit card)

Thanks dear!!! I can't wait to bite onto them!!!

Comment

i think they do vegetarian special orders too

is it the taka one you're referring to??
                  tried the one at the taka basement. i bought the lima bean paste ones and they are my current favourite. it's less sweet compared to other mooncakes and the flaky yam ones are yummy too.

Comment

Originally posted by michannat
                    tried the one at the taka basement. i bought the lima bean paste ones and they are my current favourite. it's less sweet compared to other mooncakes and the flaky yam ones are yummy too.
                    yes lima beans are good, i don't like it too sweet either.

still, all the new flavours are very exciting. be gone my lotus paste!!

Comment

bit of a silly question: what are lima beans?

i know red beans, and kidney beans, and mung beans....

still haven't gotten my salted egg yam paste mooncakes.

Comment

Originally posted by vixette
                        bit of a silly question: what are lima beans?

i know red beans, and kidney beans, and mung beans....

still haven't gotten my salted egg yam paste mooncakes.

um, its not quite silly. i have no idea where it came from either. i googled it though, and found that people made soup out of it.

did that help? i didn't think so either.

Comment

Originally posted by jemay
                          i would luv to go photo taking at chinese garden too!! Who to go with.......??? Hmm..........

Anyone's lunar birthday falls on mooncake festival here??
                          *raise both hands!!*

Comment

yesterday went to giant at IMM and realise that the mooncake price range are very very reasonable! besides, the packaging and taste are rather okay too. i dont see any much difference from high end brands for the traditional mooncake. per box of double egg york and white lotus paste is ard $15. there are also well known brands like Xin Li Xiang.

Hmm... how come the mooncakes can be priced so low? what is the reason behind it? it is the high end ones are fresher ( because Produce everyday ) than those in Giant (because mass produce and put lots of preservatives)?

*Scratch head*

just getting curious here.

Comment

I just went to swensen's and bought 2 boxes of ice cream mooncakes!! i ought to be shot for commiting such a sin but oh well, it's once a year right? Actually wanted the chewy chocolate ones but they were all sold out throughout singapore so i ended up buying the mango,yam,durian and red bean ones

Comment

Raffles Hotel and others

If you want to get the UOB discount, you're better off at Raffles Hotel. The Plaza Singapura stall will give you the discount too, but not the Taka one. I bought 4 boxes yesterday as a treat for relatives, colleagues and students: Champagne Truffles, XO Chestnut Truffles, Peach Melba, and Pandan Macadamia. Everyone them!

Bought the Goodwood Park durian ones, but they go off pretty fast - you have to eat them almost immediately (though not as quickly as you'd have to eat the Marriott ones). I'm also looking forward to trying the chempedak ones from Meritus Mandarin tomorrow :wheee: Spent $50 this evening on mid-autumn specialities from Minamoto Kitchoan. I need to finish my mooncakes faster so that I can get another box from Conrad Golden Peony...

I do think that the more expensive ones are tastier. Not quite so sugary and more delicately flavoured. I'm now looking for a decent "wu ren" mixed nuts mooncake. Most are far too sweet and I disliked those with ham.

Comment

Working...
                                X